Beane reportedly looking for LB help (possible rumor)

BuffaloBillyG

One name that’s kinda interesting is Shaq Leonard. Slow start coming off injury, but he has a contract out in 2024 anyway. He’s been seeing less snaps in their defense.

Colts season is kind of a wash at this point with Richardson out. And Shaq, while his best days are probably behind him, has a pedigree. 

1 hour ago, Floydboy12 said:

I’d prefer they try to unload some unwanted contracts if humanly possible and acquire some picks. It’s not happening for the Bills this year. Much of it due to injury, but they’ve looked like a contending type team in exactly one game this year. It’s tough to swallow, but best for the organization. 

Football is not like basketball where you kind of know by mid-season if you really have a shot to win a title or if you are better off rebuilding or only making smaller moves. Football (particularly the NFL) is far more similar to the MLB or NHL where you can "get hot" at the right time and win a title or make a deep run. The NFL is also not a league where you can really "unload" contracts. Trading teams often "eat" money on bonuses paid. So even if you wanted to "attatch picks" to dump Knox or Von Miller the Bills would still be on the hook for a lot of dead cap as a result of the trade.

The Bills traded Dareus in 2017 and still had to eat a 13.5 million dollar dead cap charge in 2018 the after trading him. Whereas had the Bills held onto Dareus in 2018 and cut him in 2019 off-season they would have only had a dead cap charge of about 3 million and had a cap charge 3 million higher in 2018. Effectively dumping Dareus's massive contract only saved the Bills 6 million in cap. 

The Bills are far better off trying to make a small addition or two like they did in 2022 when they added Hines and Marlowe at the deadline. If the Steelers are willing to dump Levi Wallace (and eat a small portion of his salary) for a 6th I would take it that helps with depth at CB. If there is a 1-Tech DT out there that can be had for a 6th (remember the Bills have three 6th-round picks in 2024) I would take it as the Bills need more depth there with Jones out. 

Bottomline you can't take this season by trading away bloated contracts and not end up tanking the next season with dead cap charges. The Bills are much better off getting some depth help on defense and trying to get it together without giving up too much draft capital wise. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Floydboy12 said:

You need all the ammunition you can get to move around for players you like in draft and in season. Personally I’d at least test the waters in what I could get for players like Dawkins, Poyer, Miller etc. This is not a contending football team. It’s just not. 

https://youtu.be/J34UzHo4G5w?si=PvlWGAGAr8HpDcSa

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Floydboy12 said:

You need all the ammunition you can get to move around for players you like in draft and in season. Personally I’d at least test the waters in what I could get for players like Dawkins, Poyer, Miller etc. This is not a contending football team. It’s just not. 

Listen, in theory the way we have played is not a contending team. But things can change in the remaining 10 weeks of the season. Teams could lose players, we could get better in terms of consistent scoring throughout a game, a trade could be made for us without losing any of those mentioned that turns something around for us, Dorsey could finally consistently play-call to the strengths of the personnel on offense, increased playing time of these younger or rough on the eye players could lead to better results…

Lot of factors could lead to this team being in a better standing over the next 8 games… After the Giants creeping into the P/Os @ 10-6 and beating the 16-0 Patsies. Anything can happen… just need to hold out hope.

If you get rid of our left tackle or a veteran and savvy safety that could lead to trouble that we wouldn’t need and may not recover from. Miller? Maybe. His play time hasn’t had any effect on the tail end of last year and this year so far. Could he get better after fully healing? Yes. He will. But no one is trading for an aging pass rusher coming off a significant injury on a pretty massive contract…

Things will get better for our Bills…

Keep the players. Keep the faith.

Edited by BBFL
Giants were 9-7 their next SB not 2007. Oops!

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

One name that’s kinda interesting is Shaq Leonard. Slow start coming off injury, but he has a contract out in 2024 anyway. He’s been seeing less snaps in their defense.

Colts season is kind of a wash at this point with Richardson out. And Shaq, while his best days are probably behind him, has a pedigree. 

I mean, it's an out relative to a 98.5 million dollar contract.

It would cost us 8 million dollars in Dead Cap to get out from under the deal next offseason. On top of the Draft compensation and what's left of his 20 million dollar cap hit this season. 

That's WAY more than we're going to pay for a guy for 9 games and the playoffs. Not feasible.

8 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I mean, it's an out relative to a 98.5 million dollar contract.

It would cost us 8 million dollars in Dead Cap to get out from under the deal next offseason. On top of the Draft compensation and what's left of his 20 million dollar cap hit this season. 

That's WAY more than we're going to pay for a guy for 9 games and the playoffs. Not feasible.

We can't accommodate his base salary this year so the point is moot. If we acquired him there would be no dead money as the 8m dead money is tied to already paid signing bonus, so Indianapolis would be on the hook for that. He does have a 6.5m injury guarantee for 2024.

If we traded for him we would have to redo his contract to lower his 2023 cap hit. Either removing the rest and adding void years, or converting to bonus and redoing extension years. 

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue

22 hours ago, FireChans said:

Well this totally sold me on Leonard 😂

• Haha (+1) 2

On 10/23/2023 at 5:58 PM, Your Brown Eye said:

Why would the Super Bowl-contending 6-1 49ers trade a starting LB. Beane is out of touch with reality if he thinks he can poach good players off of top tier teams. I don't mind you shooting your shot, but this does not make you look too bright.

Maybe his next call will be to Philly about AJ Brown lol

I mean, to be fair there are probably lots of calls made and no one ever hears about them. It shouldn’t make him look anyway, because the info shouldn’t have been shared to begin with. 

Unless this was shared by the Bills to let the fans know they’re doing everything they can without actually having to do anything but make a phone call. 

On 10/23/2023 at 5:58 PM, Your Brown Eye said:

Why would the Super Bowl-contending 6-1 49ers trade a starting LB. Beane is out of touch with reality if he thinks he can poach good players off of top tier teams. I don't mind you shooting your shot, but this does not make you look too bright.

Maybe his next call will be to Philly about AJ Brown lol

Out of touch, or checking like any good GM would do? Not a bright post. 

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Thinking about it more, we absolutely have to make a move at DL and LB at the deadline. I think we can survive with the CB’s we have. 

Johnson is great but Benford and Dane are gonna be in trouble when we play better passing teams. They are struggling now

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Johnson is great but Benford and Dane are gonna be in trouble when we play better passing teams. They are struggling now

Im not saying they won’t struggle more with a team like the Bengals, but they’re not struggling now.  

Both eye tests and data/metrics say Jackson is about average and Benford has played above average.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

29 minutes ago, BananaB said:

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Im not saying they won’t struggle more with a team like the Bengals, but they’re not struggling now.  

Both eye tests and data/metrics say Jackson is about average and Benford has played above average.  

I don’t think those guys are struggling. I also think the scheme we run doesn’t really require elite CBs. Ideally, we could upgrade. But if Benford and Johnson stay healthy, it seems like Ingram and Norman (shudder!) can hold down the fort. Not ideal, but it’s going to be hard finding better CB depth now. 

23 minutes ago, SCBills said:

@BananaB explain why you disagree. 

Their metrics/data/ratings literally put Jackson at average and Benford above average. 

Are either elite. No.  

But as Miyagi-Do stated, we have a CB friendly system. 

I seen enough of Dane to know when we need a stop he ain’t gonna be there to make a play. Last year he was an easy target on 3rd and long for opposing teams. Everyone making a big deal about Elam getting worked by Ridley, Dane was getting worked by Zay before he got injured and left the game. 

Benford gets beat regularly and takes a couple penalties regularly. 

Competition is only gonna get harder at this point and I don’t believe either are gonna hold up. Gonna be like late last season. Jmo

18 minutes ago, BananaB said:

I seen enough of Dane to know when we need a stop he ain’t gonna be there to make a play. Last year he was an easy target on 3rd and long for opposing teams. Everyone making a big deal about Elam getting worked by Ridley, Dane was getting worked by Zay before he got injured and left the game. 

Benford gets beat regularly and takes a couple penalties regularly. 

Competition is only gonna get harder at this point and I don’t believe either are gonna hold up. Gonna be like late last season. Jmo

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Well, I looked up the stats this season because I thought Benford had played pretty well at least.

Benny is currently allowing a 70% completion percentage and a 105 passer rating.

Dane is actually even worse, 88% and 120 passer rating.

2 minutes ago, wolfpack78 said:

Braves fan here - think he is referring to the 2021 Braves that made like four deals near/at the deadline (including acquiring three brand new outfielders).  They went on to win the World Series that year.

He could have said Paul Sewald.  That’s pretty recent.

5 minutes ago, wolfpack78 said:

Braves fan here - think he is referring to the 2021 Braves that made like four deals near/at the deadline (including acquiring three brand new outfielders).  They went on to win the World Series that year.

That's exactly what I meant. And good on them for being bold. But you can do that in MLB where teams will actually sell and teams don't really play systems. In the NFL, you cannot remake a team at the deadline.

17 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Well, I looked up the stats this season because I thought Benford had played pretty well at least.

Benny is currently allowing a 70% completion percentage and a 105 passer rating.

Dane is actually even worse, 88% and 120 passer rating.

This has been him almost every week, so I’m not sure where the disconnect in evaluation is. 

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This has been him almost every week, so I’m not sure where the disconnect in evaluation is. 

My stat was only through 7 games, and advanced defensive targets can be pretty skewed game to game due to the limited sample size.

But I agree, to my eye Benny has been pretty good.  Although, I think he was in coverage on the Mike Evans helmet TD.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

That pass rating against stat some sources use is 100% subjective outside of in one on one man coverage situations. There, I put it nicely. :)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.