Caleb Williams demanding part ownership

CDogg20

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I get what you’re saying about things coming to pass that were once unthinkable. But I think this is a hill NFL owners would die on. However it is an excellent negotiating tactic toward fully guaranteed contracts. Compared to players getting a piece of ownership of a team a fully guaranteed 5 or 6 year deal is very palatable. 

well, an ownership stake is finite. It can’t be the answer or the owner runs out of ownership to give. And I doubt players would love ownership approval processes. Yet alone the teams dealing with annual public valuations to handle the salary cap. It’s just not reality and therefore not leverage. 

owners will just tell players to go buy whatever company or team they want with their paycheck. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

well, an ownership stake is finite. It can’t be the answer or the owner runs out of ownership to give. And I doubt players would love ownership approval processes. Yet alone the teams dealing with annual public valuations to handle the salary cap. It’s just not reality and therefore not leverage. 

owners will just tell players to go buy whatever company or team they want with their paycheck. 

Normally I would say that there would be a conflict of interest but I'm guessing the NFL doesn't care about that.

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Yet alone changing teams, right? Suddenly he’s playing against a team he owns?

Absolutely.  But you would have to question, even if the nfl didn't care, would another opener sign off on hiring another player that owns part of another team that you compete against?

This is why it makes no sense.  He's not Jackie Moon owning the tropics.  He's asking for part partial which no team will sign off on and that's probably going to be a question come combine interview time is he was being serious.  Even if he wasn't, in sure he's already rubbed probably 4/5 of the owners the wrong way about it.

On 10/18/2023 at 10:30 PM, CDogg20 said:

Per reports, Caleb Williams is demanding part ownership of whatever team that drafts him. I wanna hear what my favorite people gave to say about this!

Personally I think this could potentially destroy his draft stock unless he backs off of it. Absolutely ludacris to think that much of yourself

I wouldn't draft a USC QB ever.  They wouldn't even be on the first 20 picks of my 1st-round board, ever.  

Their QB production history given the matching hype is abysmal.  The PAC-10 is a defensively bereft conference that makes QBs coming out of it rate much better than most are.  

Let other sucker teams draft them.  

On 10/18/2023 at 10:31 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

If I was a GM, I’d take him off my board. What an entitled clown. I bet the guy is a massive bust

Agree.  You can extrapolate that to the historically high rated USC QBs as well.  

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

I wouldn't draft a USC QB ever.  They wouldn't even be on the first 20 picks of my 1st-round board, ever.  

Their QB production history given the matching hype is abysmal.  The PAC-10 is a defensively bereft conference that makes QBs coming out of it rate much better than most are.  

Let other sucker teams draft them.  

Agree.  You can extrapolate that to the historically high rated USC QBs as well.  

The QB history of a college's QBs can be really bad-UNTIL IT ISN'T.  Example: What QB from Wyoming ever achieved stardom in the NFL before the 2018 draft?  There's a long list of Ohio State QB failures in the NFL, but it looks like the best QB from the 2023 draft came from Ohio State.  If Carolina used the past history of Ohio State QBs to decide to pass on Stroud, it was a pretty poor decision.  

The past failures of other players from a university is irrelevant when scouting a player.  Same is true the other way.  Stanford had produced some pretty good QBs over the years (Elway, Plunkett, Brodie) before Trent Edwards was drafted, but when Trent Edwards was with the Bills, the legacy of Stanford QBs didn't mean anything.  

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The QB history of a college's QBs can be really bad-UNTIL IT ISN'T.  Example: What QB from Wyoming ever achieved stardom in the NFL before the 2018 draft?  There's a long list of Ohio State QB failures in the NFL, but it looks like the best QB from the 2023 draft came from Ohio State.  If Carolina used the past history of Ohio State QBs to decide to pass on Stroud, it was a pretty poor decision.  

The past failures of other players from a university is irrelevant when scouting a player.  Same is true the other way.  Stanford had produced some pretty good QBs over the years (Elway, Plunkett, Brodie) before Trent Edwards was drafted, but when Trent Edwards was with the Bills, the legacy of Stanford QBs didn't mean anything.  

Thank you! Every situation is different. You are not doing your job if you don’t treat every situation as a new situation, because it is. 

We used to joke in banking that just because you had to repossess a blue Chevy doesn’t mean you never lend on blue Chevy’s again. Just find the right borrower. Think! Every time! 

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The school the quarterback goes to absolutely does not matter

It always comes down to the player not the school

People don't like USC or Ohio State quarterbacks because they recruit the best high school quarterbacks to win now... They don't want to develop a guy for 3 years... They don't care about your pro potential... They want the best 20-year-old college quarterback available

They don't care what you're ceiling is.. or how far you can grow

They want the guy who could execute their offense every Saturday and get them to a conference championship

He will just end up getting tons of $ instead.

The top QBs now are making 50 million per year, so 15 years in that's 3/4 of a billion and it will only go up.

It's not like a 2% or 5% stake means anything decision wise anyway. If the team is inept it's not like that would protect him in any way. 

23 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Plenty of businesses require employees to sell their equity back to the company when they leave employment.

52 minutes ago, Billl said:

Plenty of businesses require employees to sell their equity back to the company when they leave employment.

And with the nature of the nfl, I’m not sure makes a whole lot of sense to potentially do with guys every couple years. But such is life 

There's literally no upside to "a stake" which will mean nothing.

Lots of fans own a stake in the Green Bay Packers too. 

The whole thing is a logistical nightmare and it isn't going to happen. 

He'll just have to be happy making hundreds of millions of dollars. There's always the United Football League. 

Oh wait, I forgot that he can stay in college and make a couple million bucks. For a year. That'll show the NFL! 

Edited by TheFunPolice

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.