JA and company are locking in on Diggs to a fault and here is the proof watch the whole thing

Coldfronts

5 hours ago, BananaB said:

If Brown can’t do his job they gotta start exploring other options. I like the 12 personnel but we gotta do more with it then help out the RT. We have a  highly paid TE and a 1st round Te hardly being used in the passing game. 

FWIW, Knox has 25 targets and Kincaid 19.  That's more than any receiver not named Diggs or Davis (and Knox is only 5 targets behind Davis)

The problem with Knox is that he's back down at a 56% catch rate after improving to 69% and 74% in 2021 and 2022; he's also back up to a 12% drop % after bringing it down to 5-6% the last 2 years.  3 drops out of 25 targets is no bueno.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

When Erik shows the EZ view there's a clear window and throwing lane to Shakir.

The RPO at 10:00 where Josh pulls it and throws to Diggs when there's a light box and Cook could get some yards has me SMH

I don't disagree that he was open, it's just looking at that part of the video it doesn't look like his head is looking toward Diggs first it goes there second. Which yeah clearly it would have been better if he'd gone to Shakir at any point sooner since he was open. I'm just not sure he's right saying Allen just stared down Diggs the entire time on that play.

Forgot to mention in my earlier post that JA17 still has a ways to go before he is able to properly read the field….like Brady, Brees, or P Manning could….and make a throw to the “best” option. This video analysis makes that abundantly clear. This is sort of surprising since he’s in his what, 6th year? But it is what it is; the tape doesn’t lie.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

at 17:00 or so we faced man coverage and people were covered, josh had a huge running late to his left.

if he can just identify man coverage and his general advantage or disadvantage, and green lights himself a few more times, we win this and the jags game in a laugher.

• Like (+1) 1

I have a couple conspiracy theories to throw out there. 

1) Diggs has been bitching so much, that Allen went nuts and fed him the ball every possible play to show him he isn’t the answer.

or 

2) After the Davis fumble, Josh officially went off the rails and decided to FORCE the coaches to put somebody else in the routes because he wouldn’t throw to anybody but Diggs to get Davis off the field.  I tend to think it’s this version.   Davis has let him down SO much, I wonder if JA isn’t trying to get them to play somebody else and they blatantly refuse to do it, this was Josh’s stage to show the staff he’s done w him. 

I know it sounds off, but maybe JA isn’t the choir boy we are led to believe and the Diggs comments this off-season seemed to point to that too.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, colin said:

at 17:00 or so we faced man coverage and people were covered, josh had a huge running late to his left.

if he can just identify man coverage and his general advantage or disadvantage, and green lights himself a few more times, we win this and the jags game in a laugher.

He has refused to run in so many cases this year, should have won the Jets game if he had just taken what was clear field ahead of him, instead he turned the ball over.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for posting this but I think I have a Different take away

yes I feel we were WAYYY to stef reliant and that was probably the game plan given their terrible defense we figured our biggest playmaker would burn them.  

BUT

I noticed something I was suspicious about 

KC guys tend to get it that the play breaks down more often than not and know when to find the open areas of the field - turn around or run to the open spot and then Josh or Mahomes can find them.

sadly I don’t see Dawson Knox, have Davis or shakir with that kind of awareness needed in some of these circumstances

i saw a handful on this video of guys that had INCREDIBLE space to just sit in and they keep running a terrible route when Josh was running to buy time

rhe only one consistently aware was?

you guessed it - Stefan Diggs

he started playing like a pick up basketball game and getting open.  The other guys?  They don’t have that awareness

31 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

He has refused to run in so many cases this year, should have won the Jets game if he had just taken what was clear field ahead of him, instead he turned the ball over.

I’m with you guys and wondering how much I’d this is he is being TOLD NOT TO RUN?

You’re looking at the symptom instead of the disease.

Diggs is the only receiver on this team that gets consistent separation. 

This has resulted in Allen targeting Diggs repeatedly in man coverage. In zone coverage, he starts to get the others more involved.

One difference from last season (at least the first half of the season) is Allen targeted Gabe deep, in man coverage, more often. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffaloman said:

I can't believe that Dorsey is calling 16 pass plays to Diggs, I think Josh goes rogue and plays hero regardless of the call! 

Especially when Diggs is double covered on most of those plays

This is where my theory of Josh either forcing it to Diggs to shut him up or forcing it to Diggs to send the message that he’s done w the other guys comes from. 

14 hours ago, BananaB said:

Not in those words. Basically said they are rotating guys and some more than others each week. Feels they are all really good players and wants to keep them all involved. That’s talking about a third target.

I’m not complaining about targets to Diggs, so I don’t have a clue why you did all that research….  I said I think it’s more beneficial for the O if we focus on one guy as third target on a week to week basis so him and Josh gain more chemistry. Cut down the rotation  and let one guy do the job

My point - they may be rotating guys but not rotating targets as you suggest.  There is no variety in the game plan despite what Dorsey says.  

• Eyeroll 1

19 hours ago, Coldfronts said:

The “proof” is that many designed pass plays have Diggs as the primary receiver because he’s an All Pro and working on a HOF career. Since he’s Allen’s 1st read, if he’s open, he’s getting the pass from the hottest arm in football. If you have the strange need to ‘blame’ somebody for them utilizing a HOFer regularly, blame yourself for not understanding football.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

There is so much over simplification of NFL offenses on this board where everything is boiled down to "well Diggs is the first read" or something similar.

And while yes, most passing plays will be designed to get your best player open/the ball, everything changes as soon as the QB gets to the line of scrimmage. The read changes based on pre snap coverages, and post snap movement. NFL offenses and defenses are wildly complicated.

For all the videos and breakdowns most of us watch on this board this one surprises me. How many live plays or film reviews have we seen where Romo, the Mannings, or Warner go "The play is designed to go to player x. But based on the coverage  the QB should know that they are going to take that away, and should be looking to go to player y with the ball". 

Yes I think we can upgrade some of the skill players, but I also think we need to execute better. There is more production in this group than we are getting. Both things can be true at the same time. We have invested a lot in TE and pass catching RB's since the day McBeane got here. But we never ever get them the ball. This isn't the kind of problem that is answered with a simple "well we need better players". This is an error on both the coaching staff and player execution. I think one hand washes the other here. 

Also, it is mid-season, there is no "replacing Davis" or "firing Dorsey" that is going to improve week 7. But executing better will. 

19 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Dorsey is the issue.  He is stubborn and despite the fact there are things where we are more effective, he goes away from them.  Under center Allen and the offense has been much better...yet Dorsey is obsessed with the stupid Shotgun for everything, even a goal and inches call like an idiot.  

Its Dorsey.  

I know right !?!  Why’d he force him to throw that roll out to knox in the dirt when knox had 5 yards of separation to seal the game. 

and why’d he make him under throw two college open TDs to Diggs which instead both lead to no points and 1 turnover. 

poor Josh, he’s just a victim here, just like he was a victim of daboll when he was here or McDermott or Frazier …. or …. maybe he has some culpability in the offensive woes too. Cover one points out a number of miscues on his part.  No one gets a pass after the last two offensive performances. 

Especially not $250 million Hollywood

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1

21 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

If you want to someone to catch to the ball, look for Diggs. Knox and Gabe are iffy pass catchers. I wouldn't trust them either...

This has been a known issue and I do wish Beane pushes harder during the offseason for WR2. Kincaid is nice, but he isn't WR2 and neither is Davis....

Beane’s “turn a blind eye” approach to WR2 ranks up there with heading into the season with Nate Peterman and rookie Josh Allen. 

Utterly stupid. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Really enjoyed watching this. IMHO, the guy does a great job explaining how & why the Bills offense is so inept.

And yes, it is also noted that the Giants defense did a really good job, but I think the schemes, and subsequently, the plays, by the Bills are garbage. They definitely need to bring in an offensive guru who won't put 3 receivers in a 10 yard circle, for one. 

Do you understand the reasoning behind the design of the concept?

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

The “proof” is that many designed pass plays have Diggs as the primary receiver because he’s an All Pro and working on a HOF career. Since he’s Allen’s 1st read, if he’s open, he’s getting the pass from the hottest arm in football. If you have the strange need to ‘blame’ somebody for them utilizing a HOFer regularly, blame yourself for not understanding football.

This is where I’m at lol I just don’t get it…if you’ve got diggs with an opportunity to catch the ball why would you pass it up to potentially target Davis or Knox….I think he’s gonna build a rapport with Kincaid too since he’s as sure handed as anybody 

plays have broken down nonstop the last two weeks I’d be lookin to diggs every time too.  Can’t roll the dice on guys that can’t even catch wide open passes when you’ve got a limited number of chances to move the ball downfield the way the oline is playing

7 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Do you understand the reasoning behind the design of the concept?

I haven’t watched the video yet but I have seen people falsely criticizing multiple plays designed as a dumpoff to a rb with receivers in tight to block for them haha im gonna guess it’s that before watching 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.