Expectations of perfection are hampering this team.

Giuseppe Tognarelli

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

When you read posts like this, it begins to make sense how the Bills got away with a 17 year drought. 

Bills are probably the worst 4-2 team in the NFL and this guy is like “there’s too much pressure, they are just kids!”

this isn’t the LLWS.

No kidding. And spare me the jet lag, the Jags had no such issue. The play calling on the last drive, with just minutes to close the game out, was beyond pathetic. Daboll took a car wreck of an OLine with a b/u QB and pushed us to the 1 with a second left. This offense cannot close a game out. Dorsey has a top tier QB in his prime and seems clueless. 

Lol… we scored zero points against one of the worst teams in the league for 3 quarters last night.   One week after looking similarly disjointed against the Jags. 

We’re 4-2, and almost dropped to 3-3, 99% due to our offensive struggles. 

Nobody is expecting perfection.  

Last year, yea… I think a lot of us struggled to enjoy the ride.   So far this year, “the ride” has been 3 games of cruise control 80 down the highway, and 3 games of going 40 mph in a construction zone behind tractor trailers that keep trying to pass each other. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

I don’t think it has anything to do with expectations as it is scheme and execution. Overall, the D has been fine. 

The core problem is offense. Josh made horrible decisions against the Jets which resulted in a loss. The games against the Jags and now the Giants have been emotionless by the offense. You can see they only want Josh to run as a last resort. It’s almost like they neutered him. You’re literally taking away a huge weapon by doing this. Secondly, it’s been all Diggs or check it down to your release receiver. They aren’t even rolling Josh out just to put extra pressure on the D to make a decision to stop the pass or stop the run. 

The lack of creativity and game calling by Dorsey is utterly ridiculous at time.  2nd and goal from less than a yard out and you go SHOTGUN. WTF!!!!

You have two TE’s that are seldom used unless it’s a check down, Harty who’s speed is what you specifically wanted to add into the offense and he’s almost invisible.

Gabe is typically a deep shoot or comeback on the slide line.

A RB or TE screen would have exposed the Giants numerous times last night.

It all just looks bad offensively with no rhythm, focus or creativity. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

The Bills won. It didn't look anything like we hoped or expected, but they won.

Bills Mafia and the media are responding like it's a loss. Tony Dungy remarked postgame that Josh Allen sounded like a quarterback who lost.

There was a lot of talk about the Bills possibly benefiting from less pressure this year, but I don't think that's the case. I think there's a lot of internal and external pressure on this team to not only win but also win big and pretty.

I'm not sure this feeling exists in other NFL cities. I think we might need an attitude adjustment, or the weight of expectations could undo this team.

There was absolutely nothing about that game that makes be comfortable. Perfection?  We’re not even mediocre. We didn’t win that game, the Giants lost it.

Most of this is on the OC, play selection & schemes are lacking and lackluster.  

I’m also not sure where the players heads are at, focus, attention to detail and execution appears way off.

We faced a horrid D last night & made them look imposing. No BUENO!

Edited by PayDaBill$

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

When you can't crush teams you should...it's a problem.

The Chiefs have been doing this for years.

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

There are unrealistic expectations that this team should always dominate an inferior opponent.   When we had Tyrod we would play the pats and a game similar to last night would unfold in the end we lost.  Teams make good game plans.   The giants wanted to play for dabol last night they wanted to play for Tyrod.  They wanted to play for their season and in the end a lot went the way they hoped it would…..two to zero turnovers, punts, missed fgs. and yet the bills still won.  

This is the best post in the thread. Great post and exactly the right perspective.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Athleticism has nothing to do with response to jet lag. The idea is ridiculous.

They're not normal people.  I referenced that they have best recovery tools anyone could have at their disposal.  Mentally and physically.  It's not a viable excuse in todays world.  

Bills Mafia and the media are responding like it's a loss. Tony Dungy remarked postgame that Josh Allen sounded like a quarterback who lost.

There was a lot of talk about the Bills possibly benefiting from less pressure this year, but I don't think that's the case. I think there's a lot of internal and external pressure on this team to not only win but also win big and pretty.

I'm not sure this feeling exists in other NFL cities. I think we might need an attitude adjustment, or the weight of expectations could undo this team.

IMO, to me, Allen has trouble setting protections properly in whatever looks the Giants were giving him yesterday which seemed eerily similar to the ones the Bengals gave in the playoffs last year that derailed the offense and Allen looked uncomfortable for most of that game.  Seemed like the Bills had enough blockers to pick up what the Giants were doing but they simply didn't and to me it looked like they were looking to block someone else on a lot of those plays where the defender went right by them.  

Allen seemed to self-correct to a large degree by the 2nd half because he put up pretty good numbers after halftime including going 11 for 11 at one point, so hopefully whatever that was, he got it figured out, because now it's on tape twice and it won't be long until other teams try to copy this.

If the team pays any attention at all to fan expectations, they're in the wrong. Good teams keep the blinders on to fan criticism and praise.

I believe we do that, but who knows. 

I don’t know about the players expectations, but the fans… at least the ones here… definitely are spoiled by the success and Josh Allen.  The 28pt margins of victory and 1 punt games are the rarity, even against bad teams.  But fans expect that every week.  Because the Bills have been that good.

When it mattered most, when the team needed it… they marched for over 10mins and 89 yards to score. Part of the reason they didn’t score for 3 quarters was because that drive was phenomenal and took nearly the entire 3rd quarter. They had 3 offensive drives in the 2nd half and scored on 2 of them.  A slightly better throw or a better catch and they seal the game with the 3rd. 

We don’t even talk about the amazing play and throw Allen made for the 2nd TD.. because it’s just expected now. But that play was something not many QBs can do!  

Yes, it was an ugly win.  Yes,  they need to play better to beat the better teams.  Yes, I have concerns about our coaching staff.  But… it’s far better to have all those concerns after the ugly win than after an ugly loss.  

Take the win and enjoy the season.   There’s still 11 games to be played over the next 3 months.  I’m sure many here won’t.. it just seems far too appealing to constantly focus on the negative plays and pine for the perfect coaches like that dude in Denver.  Ooooh if only…

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

And stay only one game behind Dolphins and win the remaining Dolphins game and Division Championship is assured, again.

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

The Bills will be in the playoffs.

I've come to believe the location of the game and the opponent don't really matter.

I too believe the Bills will make the playoffs.  Again, I am stating where we are at with my original post and made no prediction. 

The question is who is going to beat the Dolphins besides the Bills?

If one of the goals is still the division championship we have to keep up with them.  We've lost to the Jets and Jaguars.  Who is going to up end the Phins?  Also, are the Bills going to be able to keep a within 1 game pace?

Guiseppe, I hope you are right, because this team and staff's next playoff win on the road will be their first playoff win on the road on their 5th try.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

I too believe the Bills will make the playoffs.  Again, I am stating where we are at.

The question is who is going to beat the Dolphins besides the Bills?

If one of the goals is still the division championship we have to keep up with them.  We've lost to Jets and Jaguars.  Who is going to up end the Phins?  Also, are the Bills going to be able to keep a within 1 game pace?

Guiseppe, I hope you are right, because this team and staff's next playoff win on the road will be their first playoff win on the road on their 5th try.

Iggles are stinging with the ignominy of the Jets beating them.

They open a can of whoopazz on Dolphins next week in Philly!  That's who!

Book is out on Dolphins... Hopefully other coaches follow that manual! Get the TripTik from teams like Bengals, Chargers, Bills... 

If Tyrod doesn’t blunder that goal line play just before the 2nd half ended then they are kicking the game winning FG from the 1 at the end of regulation. 

The game shouldn’t have ever gotten to that point. The problem with this team is the offense which is inexcusable considering everyone is healthy.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

If Tyrod doesn’t blunder that goal line play just before the 2nd half ended then they are kicking the game winning FG from the 1 at the end of regulation. 

The game shouldn’t have ever gotten to that point. The problem with this team is the offense which is inexcusable considering everyone is healthy.

"if" something that didn't happen happened, then we don't know what's next. You predict the game would have been exactly the same but i doubt it.

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Disagree. The offense was really, really bad yesterday and has been for half our games this season. It's a real problem. We were really fortunate to win last night. That was a PI at the end of the game on Taron and the Giants basically gifted us with what they did at the end of the half. 

We have very glaring issues. This isn't complaining because we didn't beat a team by 20. We've seen a once great offense decline into whatever you would call this. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Tony Dungy remarked postgame that Josh Allen sounded like a quarterback who lost.

Understand why, he missed the chance to close the game and gave the ball back to the opponent. Sure maybe knox still drops it, but that was a terrible throw to a wide open tight end to kneel it out. Instead they had to get lucky

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.