The Official Fire Ken Dorsey Thread

VaMilBill

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

If he was he should have let it fly. Gabe was open. 

That’s the thing I’m talking about. A nice touch throw to the back pylon there. Gabe’s one of the faster guys on the field once he’s running. And could’ve let it go earlier.

that still is missing from his game. 

16 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

You promote Joe Brady and see what he can do as OC. You’re not changing up the offense this season, simply adding some new wrinkles and a different mind calling plays. 

if Joe Brady struggles, then we need to hire another OC.  

What do you consider struggling? Having a bad game or a bad season? What’s considered a bad season?

I use to use regular stats, but Dorsey has great regular stats. Then I started using advanced analytics, but dang it Dorsey has great advanced analytics.

I guess I’ll go by pure emotion. That’s the best way.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

That’s the thing I’m talking about. A nice touch throw to the back pylon there. Gabe’s one of the faster guys on the field once he’s running. And could’ve let it go earlier.

that still is missing from his game. 

I think the Late flash from the safety scared the throw off. That is the coaching handcuffs we are seeing in Josh. Same with taking the designed run out of the offense. 

end result struggles in red zone everything gets so hard for this offense down there. 

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm not a Dorsey fan but if we fire him midseason, I'm afraid the alternative will be no better and possibly worse.  

I'm not opposed to McD checking out who's available after the season, though.  

I think the best you can expect in season is for the HC to hold the OC and the players accountable, call together a session with the, OC, Josh, and the other leaders on the offense to have an open and honest discussion about what needs to be done to re-charge the offense.  Using analytics identify which plays are working and not, get rid of the plays that aren't working, run more of what's working, and design some variation off what is working.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I think the best you can expect in season is for the HC to hold the OC and the players accountable, call together a session with the, OC, Josh, and the other leaders on the offense to have an open and honest discussion about what needs to be done to re-charge the offense.  Using analytics identify which plays are working and not, get rid of the plays that aren't working, run more of what's working, and design some variation of what is working.    

Not New News Flash: the shotgun handoff to Cook is not working.

I thought Dorsey's playcalling left something to be desired both of the past two weeks. I, too, was frustrated by the pistol call at the 5-inch line.

That said...

The Bills are the 3rd ranked scoring offense in the NFL. They are behind only the Dolphins and 49ers, who most would acknowledge as the clear cut two best and most forward thinking offenses in the league. They are ahead of last year's Super Bowl participants, the Chiefs and Eagles. 

You don't fire an offensive coordinator who had the 2nd ranked scoring offense in his first year and has the 3rd ranked scoring offense in his second year. It's just asinine. It's reactionary "prisoner of the moment" stuff. It's not reasonable.

Aside from the fact that the Bills, ya know, score a lot of points....Josh Allen endorsed Ken Dorsey, he likes Ken Dorsey, and and he wants Ken Dorsey as his OC. He's not going anywhere. 

You want to espouse and suggest specific changes to personnel usage, formations, or offensive strategy, then by all means, do so. I've got some suggestions myself, and there are areas where Dorsey can clearly improve. But firing him? That ain't it. Not happenin'. Ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

I would literally give my left nut to never see another freaking shotgun draw.

I am 100% with you on this. Its literally a throwaway play every...single...time. It all but guarantees a 3rd and long.

What it looks like to me is when we face good D coordinators, our offense is completely inept and Dorsey has no answers for in game adjustments.  It literally looks like he keeps calling whatever game plan was engineered and expecting the situation to change. 

We all know the offense is capable of explosion but when the camera view is from behind Josh in the pocket you can see there is nobody open and the defense was perfectly called. 

I've lost all faith in Dorsey. How many mediocre games is this guy going to call.  I can tell you this much against better coaching and talent in the playoffs we are done. 

16 hours ago, Simon said:

He needs to stop letting defensive sets dictate to him and just call the diversified offense that we've seen him be perfectly capable of calling.

If he stops outthinking himself, he'll probably be OK.

I bet a straightforward meeting with the head coach this week will get that message across very clearly.

I know Davis and Knox dropped passes but before we crap all over them, remember, Digs dropped the first pass attempt of the. Game 

Here's McDermott verbatim from his presser just now (from Matt Parrino):

Sean McDermott was asked whether he'd give any consideration to having anyone else on the offensive coaching staff take over playcalling duties from Ken Dorsey.

McDermott's response: "Zero."

"I'm confident in Ken Dorsey and our offensive staff. There's a lot that goes into it and putting the game plan together and calling plays and putting the players in position - I get it. But it's not just one area. It's when in position, are you making the play? So there's a lot that goes into this and we've done some things well offensively this year. Of late, we've been certainly too inconsistent and that's what we have to look at here."

I asked Sean why they've struggled to find a consistent third option in the offense. Stefon Diggs is on pace for a career-high 187 targets. Here's McDermott's response:

"I think that's really some of the deep dive we're digging through now is where's the second target, where's the third targeted player and who is it and how can we get them more touches or how can we get them open more? Stef is off to a good start. I think the rapport with Josh has been certainly obvious and noticeable by all. Now it's, Hey, who's resource two, and who's resource three? And we've got to continue to evolve offensively with that."

AKA Dorsey isn't to blame and we don't have a true #2 pass catcher.

I'm shocked if McDermott really doesn't see any issues with Dorsey's play calling last night, but who knows.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't really see a play-caller change making that much of a difference mid-season. Is Joe Brady going to call that much better of a game given that the offense cannot be changed all that much mid-season? They can't overhaul the playbook and terminology mid-season. Joe Brady running the Daboll/Dorsey offense (many players said last season the offense hasn't changed that much from the offense Daboll built) isn't going to result in that much difference. 

I am not a Dorsey apologist but I think you have to be realistic about what you going to do offensively. The Bills aren't likely to bring in major talent pieces via trade and they aren't going to install a new offense. The best thing fans can do is hope Dorsey works out the kinks in October and November. 

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Here's McDermott verbatim from his presser just now (from Matt Parrino):

AKA Dorsey isn't to blame and we don't have a true #2 pass catcher.

I'm shocked if McDermott really doesn't see any issues with Dorsey's play calling last night, but who knows.

As far as the Giants game Dorsey did adjust to leaning on the power run game in the second half. They had three drives in the second half and they scored TD's and missed a field goal on those drives. They basically ran the ball down the Giants' throats in two long-game eating drives. The issue was the first half. And my issue with Dorsey was that by the time the Bills got the ball early in Q2 they didn't try to lean back into the run. The offense had produced two punts and a fumble why not adjust the offensive game plan then? 

Dorsey adjusts but he adjusts way too late. Q1 should be your testing out and feeling out of the game. You should start to make adjustments to your gameplan after your first 2-3 drives. Drosey often waits until 5-7 drives in to really change up the gameplan if it isn't working. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I think the best you can expect in season is for the HC to hold the OC and the players accountable, call together a session with the, OC, Josh, and the other leaders on the offense to have an open and honest discussion about what needs to be done to re-charge the offense.  Using analytics identify which plays are working and not, get rid of the plays that aren't working, run more of what's working, and design some variation off what is working.    

When you look at Dorsey's offensive stats, they're not terrible.  But we've all seen games when Dorsey's lack of imagination in both play design and play calling was suboptimal.  Sad to say, I don't have as much faith in Dorsey-Allen as I do in Reid-Mahomes.  Reid, generally speaking, designs and calls plays that put Mahomes in a position to excel and keep defenses on their toes.  

You're right: McD needs to step in and help Dorsey find his shortcomings and fix them.  

I'm not exactly thrilled with what we saw last two games ha ha, but give credit where it's due: that Harty touchdown was 100% Dorsey. Great design, setup, time to use it. It was a HUGE risk too. One defender not biting on it and it would have backfired. 

He stuck to the run in the 2nd half. 

• Like (+1) 1