What experiments to disrupt fairplay is the NFL running this week?

Chaos

I am not sure I will ever get over the NFL admitting the 'ran an experiment' to see if games could be fairly played, with a certain set of conditions.  Particularly since the result was: no this is not fair.  Since the shield now formally acknowledges fairplay within a game is not a priority, I am wondering if there are any other experiments being run this weekend?

One experiment I would be interested in seeing, is what happens if both defensive and offensive holding were called consistently for both teams during an entire game.  Any other experiments the NFL should be running.  Feel free to be creative.  (note excessive time lag, and having temperature conditions 30 degrees different experiments have already been run)

• Eyeroll 2

Highmark Stadium concession stands are mandated to offer only UK themed food and beverages as a 'thank you' and tribute to Shad Khan's participation in the NFL.

🤨

"Grab me a jellied eel when you go out for a leak, will ya?"

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I am not sure I will ever get over the NFL admitting the 'ran an experiment' to see if games could be fairly played, with a certain set of conditions.  Particularly since the result was: no this is not fair.  Since the shield now formally acknowledges fairplay within a game is not a priority, I am wondering if there are any other experiments being run this weekend?

One experiment I would be interested in seeing, is what happens if both defensive and offensive holding were called consistently for both teams during an entire game.  Any other experiments the NFL should be running.  Feel free to be creative.  (note excessive time lag, and having temperature conditions 30 degrees different experiments have already been run)

Another one that’s been run is “what happens if a team gets no actual home field advantage?” They tried it with the Chargers and liked it so much that they moved the Raiders to Vegas.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Another one that’s been run is “what happens if a team gets no actual home field advantage?” They tried it with the Chargers and liked it so much that they moved the Raiders to Vegas.

They ought to make this the Raiders theme song:

Wandering the American west for over forty years. 🤔

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I say all “Home Games” should be played in front of a stadium filled with 80% opposing fans. That was “special” to entertain the crowd the Jags has been actively cultivating since 2013. 

Taking up a perfectly good field so we can subject to players to the dangers of a $%#@ field also has a certain appeal.

This makes as much sense as filling cups of beer from the bottom up. Yes, they really do that. They place the cup on a spigot of some kind that fills thru a small hole in the bottom of the cup. The obvious problem here is (who can guess?) you then have a cup of beer with a hole in the bottom. Beer that went in thru that hole can also come back out thru that hole. For this reason, once the beer is poured they take their time pouring it into yet another cup that does not have an open hole in the bottom. All done with ZERO sense of urgency.  THIS is how you spend most of the 2nd quarter standing in line watching on TV. When I got back to my seat I was asked “where the hell you been?” It’s hard to believe, but I have a video to prove it. 

The NFL is rapidly losing my interest. I very much enjoyed the trip to London, but to me the game experience exposed how little regard the league has for the integrity of the game. Playing a “Home Game” on a clearly hostile field that has been deliberately built over the last decade is inexcusable. The “experiment” of playing one team with jet lag against another team fully adjusted is equally unacceptable. Add in the countless streaming services I am forced to buy and this may be the last straw. I will NOT be adding Peacock or any other additional streaming service they want me to pay for. 

I don’t hate the owners for being wealthy. But I am starting to hate them for not protecting the integrity of the game. The Competition Committee is failing miserably.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

35 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Highmark Stadium concession stands are mandated to offer only UK themed food and beverages as a 'thank you' and tribute to Shad Khan's participation in the NFL.

🤨

from the concession stand, or from the urinal trough?

• Haha (+1) 1

I have some ideas:

- When losing a coaching challenge the coach that loses the challenge is mandated to be kicked in the 🥜 by a member of the opposing coaching staff.

- All punts on 4th and under a yard near mid field will now result in a 2 point "coward fee" being awarded to the receiving team.

- If Josh Allen successfully hurdles an opponent that player is put down at mid field like a horse with a broken leg. And the Patriots are awarded a comp pick.

- Any time league wide there is a pass interference call made, the Chiefs automatically get the yards marked off in their favor as well as long as Mahomes points downfield.

- If Mac Jones cries every fan in attendance gets a FREE hot dog.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Chaos said:

Bills should be able to handle an inferior team.  Jets or Jags.  NJ or London.

5 hours ago, Augie said:

I say all “Home Games” should be played in front of a stadium filled with 80% opposing fans. That was “special” to entertain the crowd the Jags has been actively cultivating since 2013. 

Taking up a perfectly good field so we can subject to players to the dangers of a $%#@ field also has a certain appeal.

This makes as much sense as filling cups of beer from the bottom up. Yes, they really do that. They place the cup on a spigot of some kind that fills thru a small hole in the bottom of the cup. The obvious problem here is (who can guess?) you then have a cup of beer with a hole in the bottom. Beer that went in thru that hole can also come back out thru that hole. For this reason, once the beer is poured they take their time pouring it into yet another cup that does not have an open hole in the bottom. All done with ZERO sense of urgency.  THIS is how you spend most of the 2nd quarter standing in line watching on TV. When I got back to my seat I was asked “where the hell you been?” It’s hard to believe, but I have a video to prove it. 

The NFL is rapidly losing my interest. I very much enjoyed the trip to London, but to me the game experience exposed how little regard the league has for the integrity of the game. Playing a “Home Game” on a clearly hostile field that has been deliberately built over the last decade is inexcusable. The “experiment” of playing one team with jet lag against another team fully adjusted is equally unacceptable. Add in the countless streaming services I am forced to buy and this may be the last straw. I will NOT be adding Peacock or any other additional streaming service they want me to pay for. 

I don’t hate the owners for being wealthy. But I am starting to hate them for not protecting the integrity of the game. The Competition Committee is failing miserably.  

Tottenham was a "clearly hostile" and filled with "80% opposing fans"?   This didn't happen.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Tottenham was a "clearly hostile" and filled with "80% opposing fans"?   This didn't happen.

I was there, and I was shocked! There were not many people in Jags gear around town, but almost everyone there NOT wearing Bills gear was pro-Jacksonville. It is their “home team” for the locals in London. I was also surprised that every team in the NFL seemed to have a jersey there representing them. Apparently the exact team affiliation is not critical, but if you live in London the Jags are your team. 

We had nice seats in the NE corner (albeit with the sun in our face early). What section were YOU sitting in? 

This happened. They have been building that fan relationship since 2013, so I should not have been surprised. And you are uninformed and naive if you were not there and are skeptical. Might is have been mid 70’s percentage against us? Sure, but it was NOT a home game. It was a bad joke. 

11 minutes ago, Chaos said:

pretending jet lag was not an issue, is just silly

I arrived about when the Bills did, and I was still struggling a bit at game time for sure. Not being able to sleep on a red eye KILLS you. 

25 minutes ago, Chaos said:

pretending jet lag was not an issue, is just silly

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was there, and I was shocked! There were not many people in Jags gear around town, but almost everyone there NOT wearing Bills gear was pro-Jacksonville. It is their “home team” for the locals in London. I was also surprised that every team in the NFL seemed to have a jersey there representing them. Apparently the exact team affiliation is not critical, but if you live in London the Jags are your team. 

We had nice seats in the NE corner (albeit with the sun in our face early). What section were YOU sitting in? 

This happened. They have been building that fan relationship since 2013, so I should not have been surprised. And you are uninformed and naive if you were not there and are skeptical. Might is have been mid 70’s percentage against us? Sure, but it was NOT a home game. It was a bad joke. 

I arrived about when the Bills did, and I was still struggling a bit at game time for sure. Not being able to sleep on a red eye KILLS you. 

you weren’t prepared.  I’ve made that trip many times.  It’s only 5 hours difference.  Takeoff at night sleep in the plane. Wake up and it’s morning.  Very similar to taking red eye from LA.

I wasn’t at the game but I spoke with several who go to nearly every home and away, including London.  Lots of stories about how Bills fans were everywhere m, taking over the town, as it were. Plus it seemed on the broadcast overwhelming Bills fans in the stands, it was constantly commented on by the announcers.  I haven’t heard anywhere that a small minority in the stands were Bills fans. 

• Eyeroll 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

you weren’t prepared.  I’ve made that trip many times.  It’s only 5 hours difference.  Takeoff at night sleep in the plane. Wake up and it’s morning.  Very similar to taking red eye from LA.

I wasn’t at the game but I spoke with several who go to nearly every home and away, including London.  Lots of stories about how Bills fans were everywhere m, taking over the town, as it were. Plus it seemed on the broadcast overwhelming Bills fans in the stands, it was constantly commented on by the announcers.  I haven’t heard anywhere that a small minority in the stands were Bills fans. 

Well, you are wrong again. It is NOT that simple. I could not sleep on the red eye this trip, just as I was unable to sleep on my previous trips. Some people are like that, including some Bills, I’m sure. It’s not just 5 hours different, it is a full day of travel, even if they had the best possible conditions. Jet lag is real, and most people know that. 

I was also shocked and bragged here and elsewhere how Bills fans took over London. That’s the way it looked because only a handful of Jags fans were walking around wearing gear. On the streets of London and out side the stadium the Bills were represented FAR more the the Jags. That is true.

What was shocking was that if you were not in Bills gear you were almost certainly cheering for the good things that happened for Jacksonville. The optics were very different from the reality. Jags fans were louder in London than the multiple times I’ve seen them play the Bills in Jacksonville. They might have worn a Steelers or Dolphin jersey, or just street clothes but they were pro-Jags, and they were most of the people there. You’d EXPECT that after a decade as the “home team” in London, and that’s exactly what it was.

Edited by Augie

As the Chiefs have already played, the NFL are apparently worried about a dip in ratings this weekend so they've organized for a woman named Tyler Shift (an aspiring country and western singer with her own YouTube channel) to stand in the luxury box in full Giants merchandise. Here she is, keep your eyes out for her

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSG3IvvFyVNGapr-M0mYvJ

7 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

🤨

I'll take a black pudding pop, with some minted pea dipping sauce

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Well, you are wrong again. It is NOT that simple. I could not sleep on the red eye this trip, just as I was unable to sleep on my previous trips. Some people are like that, including some Bills, I’m sure. It’s not just 5 hours different, it is a full day of travel, even if they had the best possible conditions. Jet lag is real, and most people know that. 

I was also shocked and bragged here and elsewhere how Bills fans took over London. That’s the way it looked because only a handful of Jags fans were walking around wearing gear. On the streets of London and out side the stadium the Bills were represented FAR more the the Jags. That is true.

What was shocking was that if you were not in Bills gear you were almost certainly cheering for the good things that happened for Jacksonville. The optics were very different from the reality. Jags fans were louder in London than the multiple times I’ve seen them play the Bills in Jacksonville. They might have worn a Steelers or Dolphin jersey, but they were pro-Jags, and they were most of the people there. You’d EXPECT that after a decade as the “home team” in London, and that’s exactly what it was.

its a half day of travel (air plus time change) —all of it in the middle of any east coaster’s  normal sleep time.  There are any number of sleep aids a prepared traveler will use to stay on that schedule.  Kickoff was 50 hrs after they arrived.

again from multiple sources present the described effect was nothing like the relatively small number of Bills fans present.  First I’ve heard that reported anywhere.   Regardless, who the Londoners were cheering louder for made no difference 

25 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I've done both more than once. The issues are 1) actually sleeping on the plane (I can't afford 1st Class) and 2) It's 3:00 am for you, not 8:00 or 9:00. It is/was an issue.

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

its a half day of travel (air plus time change) —all of it in the middle of any east coaster’s  normal sleep time.  There are any number of sleep aids a prepared traveler will use to stay on that schedule.  Kickoff was 50 hrs after they arrived.

again from multiple sources present the described effect was nothing like the relatively small number of Bills fans present.  First I’ve heard that reported anywhere.   Regardless, who the Londoners were cheering louder for made no difference 

I’m not blaming the outcome entirely on the travel, but it was an “experiment” for a reason. It was a “home game” my ass. Jet lag and being an “away game” were factors. You did not sit where I was in a bit of shock at the high level of support for the Jags. I wouldn’t have believed it either. 

The Bills fans LOOKED like a lot, and it was, but if you weren’t for the Bills you were almost certainly be for the Jags even if you didn’t wear the colors, and the Bills did NOT fill more than half the stadium. I heard an estimate that we had about 20k there. I don’t know how accurate the source was, but it felt about right. 

As for arguing against the reality of jet lag, that is where your reputation for being tiresome comes in. Continuing that would be pointless. 

To be clear, I’m NOT NEARLY as upset with the game and outcome as I am with the NFL.  The league and Competition Committee allowed this to happen Why? It is clearly unfair to have a team play in a city for more than a decade and ever call that a road game for them while the divisional opponent loses a home game on their schedule. It is the NFL that wanted to experiment and see if it gives you an advantage to arrive a week earlier. 

I love the Bills and (most of) our fans. 😋  

I’m pissed at the NFL for undermining the integrity of the game. 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Chas56 said:

I've done both more than once. The issues are 1) actually sleeping on the plane (I can't afford 1st Class) and 2) It's 3:00 am for you, not 8:00 or 9:00. It is/was an issue.

lol not only those in first class can sleep.  And these guys weren’t flying coach.  They had over 2 days to make the few hour adjustment.

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m not blaming the outcome entirely on the travel, but it was an “experiment” for a reason. It was a “home game” my ass. Jet lag and being an “away game” were factors. You did not sit where I was in a bit of shock at the high level of support for the Jags. I wouldn’t have believed it either. 

The Bills fans LOOKED like a lot, and it was, but if you weren’t for the Bills you were almost certainly be for the Jags even if you didn’t wear the colors, and the Bills did NOT fill more than half the stadium. I heard an estimate that we had about 20k there. I don’t know how accurate the source was, but it felt about right. 

As for arguing against the reality of jet lag, that is where your reputation for being tiresome comes in. Continuing that would be pointless. 

To be clear, I’m NOT NEARLY as upset with the game and outcome as I am with the NFL.  The league and Competition Committee allowed this to happen Why? It is clearly unfair to have a team play in a city for more than a decade and ever call that a road game for them while the divisional opponent loses a home game on their schedule. It is the NFL that wanted to experiment and see if it gives you an advantage to arrive a week earlier. 

I love the Bills and (most of) our fans. 😋  

I’m pissed at the NFL for undermining the integrity of the game. 

no one is arguing against the existence of jet leg as a real phenomenon—nowhere have I, so why kept insisting I’m doing just that?  It certainly doesn’t act as a counter argument. It’s a straw man counter.  It’s unresponsive. 

my point has been consistently clear: this wasn’t NY to Tokyo.  It was an overnight flight 2 zones different than LA to the east coast.  Last I checked they haven’t recommended cancellation of all cross country away games due to jet lag. 

the Bills traveled under the best possible conditions.  Any known methods for mitigating even mild time change difference was available to them, including leaving earlier in the week. 

repetitively chanting “jet lag is real” and implying it’s mere existence is proof that it profoundly negatively affected the Bills should strike even you as “tiresome” no?

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

🤨

No Fish and Chips !   Go Bills !

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.