Is a Healthy Von Miller an Option to Replace Milano?

st pete gogolak

9 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Most of Von Miller’s career has been OLB in a 3 -4.  I understand that OLB in a 3 -  4 is apples and oranges to an OLB in a 4 - 3, or a 4 - 2 - 5.  Nevertheless, is it crazy to try a completely healthy  (big if) Von Miller in Milano’s spot?  It keeps Floyd, Groot and/or AJE on the field.  I’m sure he would be fine against the run and most likely a liability in pass coverage.  It would, however, be neat to move him around and put even more pressure on opposing QB, similar to how Dallas uses Parsons.  I’m guessing the answer is maybe five years ago but not at 34 after two knee surgeries.

F8Jr-1Ma0AAw1WR?format=png&name=small

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Don’t disagree with most of the comments to the thread. Just throwing some “out of the box” thinking.  One comment I do agree with is occasionally having him on the field with two DE’s.  One I disagree with is that the majority of his career has been as a 4 - 3 DE.  Didn’t Denver run a 3 - 4 for most of his time there?

Seriously, 4-3 DEs and 3-4 OLBs are essentially all just EDGE guys. 

Basically interchangeable positions at this point. Yes, Von Miller HAS, earlier in his career, backpedaled into zone drops from time to time. Got an INT in that SB against CAR innit? Maybe I'm confused on that specific result. But nonetheless, we can't confuse Matt Milano's role in McD's 2-LB defense with Von Miller's role, ever. It's just not sensical. 

14 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Most of Von Miller’s career has been OLB in a 3 -4.  I understand that OLB in a 3 -  4 is apples and oranges to an OLB in a 4 - 3, or a 4 - 2 - 5.  Nevertheless, is it crazy to try a completely healthy  (big if) Von Miller in Milano’s spot?  It keeps Floyd, Groot and/or AJE on the field.  I’m sure he would be fine against the run and most likely a liability in pass coverage.  It would, however, be neat to move him around and put even more pressure on opposing QB, similar to how Dallas uses Parsons.  I’m guessing the answer is maybe five years ago but not at 34 after two knee surgeries.

I encourage you to get Pat Kirwan’s book, “First, take your eye off the ball” and read it, as you evidently don’t understand football.  I’m seriously not picking on you, but a Wil LB is a completely different role than an Edge Rusher.  They have different jobs, and you’re not different than guys who think CB’s can play Safety and vise versa.  Those are different jobs as well.

50 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I encourage you to get Pat Kirwan’s book, “First, take your eye off the ball” and read it, as you evidently don’t understand football.  I’m seriously not picking on you, but a Wil LB is a completely different role than an Edge Rusher.  They have different jobs, and you’re not different than guys who think CB’s can play Safety and vise versa.  Those are different jobs as well.

You do know both Hyde and Poyer played corner? Also some other noname guys named Lott and Woodson played corner before moving to safety. 

9 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

You do know both Hyde and Poyer played corner? Also some other noname guys named Lott and Woodson played corner before moving to safety. 

Ethan, that is the exception, not the norm, and they had to learn usually safety as corners get slower with age, they convert to safety.  It doesn’t mean any corner can play Safety and the reverse.  They are different jobs with different responsibilities.  Ithink it was Aaron Williams who eventually converted, but took him time.

8 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Ethan, that is the exception, not the norm, and they had to learn usually safety as corners get slower with age, they convert to safety.  It doesn’t mean any corner can play Safety and the reverse.  They are different jobs with different responsibilities.  Ithink it was Aaron Williams who eventually converted, but took him time.

Of course it is the exception. And of course they are different jobs. I didn’t say all CBs could play safety. But implying posters that think a CB can play safety don't know what they are talking about is not accurate and as shown factually untrue in notable cases.

The only way to do this is to go to a 5-1-5.  

DL- Miller-GRoot-Phillps-Oliver-Floyd

LB- Bernard

DB-Benford, Poyer, Hyde, (Rapp/Johnson) Jackson

This is one way to keep our best players on the field.  Stack the DL and have them set the edge.  Move Rapp in LB position to defend the run and take Milano's coverage responsibilities. I think we'd be susceptible to the run but we are anyways.  Phillips is our biggest DL so try to get him to clog the middle and let Von roam the DL and move around so they can't place where he is coming from and have him rush. 

Just an idea, it would change a lot of our current philosophy so it may be too late, but this is the time for McD to show us the genius Defensive coach he is supposed to be. 

Edited by TampaBillsJunkie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

No Way Wow GIF

35 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

The only way to do this is to go to a 5-1-5.  

DL- Miller-GRoot-Phillps-Oliver-Floyd

LB- Bernard

DB-Benford, Poyer, Hyde, Rapp, Jackson

This is one way to keep our best players on the field.  Stack the DL and have them set the edge.  Move Rapp in LB position to defend the run and take Milano's coverage responsibilities. I think we'd be susceptible to the run but we are anyways.  Phillips is our biggest DL so try to get him to clog the middle and let Von roam the DL and move around so they can't place where he is coming from and have him rush. 

Just an idea, it would change a lot of our current philosophy so it may be too late, but this is the time for McD to show us the genius Defensive coach he is supposed to be. 

Taking our best corner off the field = 💩 

He has a completely different skill set from Milano.  If you stick Miller in Milano's spot, you've got nobody to do many of the things you depend on Milano to do and you have to figure out how to compensate somewhere else.  I don't know that it's worth the effort to rework your defense so that it can function effectively with Miller in that outside linebacker spot.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.