Milano and Daquan to IR. Klein signed.

Gambit

8 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

as I said, then it's over, may as well tank it, throw in the backups

if you're not using sarcasm, then yes... if we are goign to have a down year and do a quick tune up rebuild than it'd make sense to use those guys.

McD just said both have had surgery and he won’t rule out either for the rest of the year. Holding out hope for late return, but doesn’t know because it’s still early. Best news you can hope for at this point. 

Edit: Listening to Sal and Joe after the fact, they aren’t as certain they’ve both had surgery yet. I could’ve sworn that’s what McD said. Nevertheless, the fact he hasn’t ruled them out for the season at this point is good news. 

https://x.com/thadbrown7/status/1712120248097214718?s=20

Edited by Blank Stare
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Well there's an odds-on statement if there ever was one.  

Dallas isn't winning one either.  So there.  :D 

Just horsin' with ya.  

Our playoff performance will hinge upon our offense, which apparently hinges on coaching, which brings up questions. 

I was hopeful at the beginning of the season that our offense would be prolific, and it's still on pace to set a franchise record for Points Scored.  We're on pace for 540, our prior team best is 501 in 2020.  

But I see coaching as holding us back, and the underutilization of our offensive talent, like Kincaid primarily, and last year Hines for example, tells me that Dorsey is the one holding this offense back, not particularly from ranking 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, but from being much better than it is and particularly in key situations, most of which have been discussed here frequently.  It's also indicative that the other players aren't always being optimally used.  McD appears to be neutered to do anything regarding the offense, which is also problematic.  

The defense, seemingly by design, still has great passing D potential and plenty of above-average coverage players and even pass-rushers, even at LB where Bernard and Williams both came into the league with high-end coverage skills.  

But ignoring our 31st YPC and 25 YPG defensive rushing rankings is a mistake.  So far four teams have rushed for over 100 on us, last season only 6 did all season long besides Cincy in the playoffs.  Last season only five ran against us for over 140, this season already three have.  

We also don't play the same set on D, I'm not sure what we play the most, but the players in in the varying spots gets confusing for that reason.  It seems to have worked re: our passing game, but our rushing game is suspect.  

It'll be interesting to see how opposing offenses take on our McD's D now that video has become available for them to prepare by.  

those latter stats you offered are washed over by many fans because McD's scheme gets lots of pretty pressure on the QB and look how great that is!!!!

all that pressure gets the quick read to the WR against our weakened DB's and chunks of yards over and over creating long drives and winded players.

we are a flawed team. it doesn't mean we suck. it doesn't mean we won't win a playoff game, hell we could win the super bowl. but we are still a flawed team and poorly coached.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

rapp is a better tackler and angle pursuer than any LB on our active team.

we aren't winning the superbowl. this is a 4-6 loss team and not build for the playoffs.

having williams play in downs and in mixed coverage is worthwhile, same with spector. but both of them are likely lifetime special teamers

klein played sam in carolina with mcdermott, sam and will in new orleans, mike and will in buffalo.

I think I speak for all of TBD when I say your attitude sucks.  

if JA went down I see it, but two defensive players-granted very good-can’t make or break you.  

If a SB is impossible by week 5 after losing two crappy games then I’d quit watching and get off the boards.

• Thank you (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, boyst said:

if you're not using sarcasm, then yes... if we are goign to have a down year and do a quick tune up rebuild than it'd make sense to use those guys.

That presumes that the only good which can come out of a season is winning the Super Bowl.

If that's the case, that there's no point in playing a season unless you win a Super Bowl, and you believe there's a ZERO chance of it happening...then by your logic, there's no point in playing any of the starters at this point and risking injury to them.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Blank Stare said:

McD just said both have had surgery and he won’t rule out either for the rest of the year. Holding out hope for late return, but doesn’t know because it’s still early. Best news you can hope for at this point. 

At least some optimism...we'll see where they're at in January. 

• Agree 1

I realize Jones has been a monster here but this is 1 injury I’m not overly concerned about. We have so many assets tied up into this Dline. Aside from the fact that it’s overkill it’s borderline irresponsible. If we can’t absorb an injury or two in there, then our entire roster construction needs to be reevaluated. We have more than enough guys that can play in there. And god ones too. Not trash. We have a starter in Ford not even active on game days. The concern for me is the Milano replacement. And I’m not even highly worried about it, if it’s Williams. My fear is we will attempt to replace them with guys that can’t move. Like Klein or Dodson. Put Williams in and let he and Bernard go through a few weeks of growing pains with opportunity for high end returns down the line.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

I think I speak for all of TBD when I say your attitude sucks.  

if JA went down I see it, but two defensive players-granted very good-can’t make or break you.  

If a SB is impossible by week 5 after losing two crappy games then I’d quit watching and get off the boards.

If the whole story was told in just W's and L's then you could. but some of the more optimistic folks here have come over to the dark side to see we are a flawed team. it's in the nuances of the game that are so vital that cause us to realize there are flaws.

in the recent nfl, for example, the play is almost always won before the snap. the personnel, the lineup, the movement, the reads all win most of the plays before the snap. even the prep, game plan, and buildup heading into Sundays are a factor. we aren't winning before the snap.

9 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

That presumes that the only good which can come out of a season is winning the Super Bowl.

If that's the case, that there's no point in playing a season unless you win a Super Bowl, and you believe there's a ZERO chance of it happening...then by your logic, there's no point in playing any of the starters at this point and risking injury to them.

i got a great quote for this.

"if you're last, you ain't first." Ricky Rudd - Days of Thunder

It's kind of the best of both worlds if both COULD make it back for the playoffs. Their backups will get a ton of experience, which will boost our depth in January & hopefully February - and we'd get both guys back pretty fresh for the stretch run (though, both would take time to get into game shape, I'm sure).

Either way, this isn't the end of the season like some of the immediate takes were saying.   Williams looked solid the other day, and we signed Ford for a reason.  If either falters, Beane has plenty of time to make some moves.

The Buffalo Bills are still contending for a title this year.

48 minutes ago, boyst said:

i'm not talking about the playoffs. i am talking about winning the super bowl. i am talking about the regular season until then.

find the wins:

Giants

@Patriots

Bucs

@Bengals

Broncos

Jets

@Eagles

@Chiefs

Cowboys

@Chargers

Patriots

@Dolphins

Between the Chiefs, Eagles and Cowboys - there is likely 2 losses there. The Bengals are getting into stride, could lose that. Traveling west we usually don't fair well against the Chargers, and between them and the Jets I could see a loss there.

Then the motivation topping off the season for Miami who could be playing for first place and a revenge game? I could see a loss in Miami.

It's easy to see 4 losses there.

That puts us on the road against Miami, Cinci, Kansas City, and everyone.

How does McDermott fair on the road in the playoffs?

Heck you can move on to the hockey season, already have it figured out. This saves me a ton of money not having to pay stream services to watch! Thank you sir!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, boyst said:

those latter stats you offered are washed over by many fans because McD's scheme gets lots of pretty pressure on the QB and look how great that is!!!!

all that pressure gets the quick read to the WR against our weakened DB's and chunks of yards over and over creating long drives and winded players.

we are a flawed team. it doesn't mean we suck. it doesn't mean we won't win a playoff game, hell we could win the super bowl. but we are still a flawed team and poorly coached.

Yeah, agree with that for the most part.  

I said prior to the season to expect our D to be middling this season, largely due to our rushing D, which hasn't been good all season really, not merely after the points in the game that Milano and Jones got hurt.  I only see it getting worse now, but now the excuse to bail out coaching will be the injuries.  

In another thread I mentioned that it's quite likely, and per your comment above about players being winded, that this crazy high-energy scheme that we deploy could easily be factoring into our injuries as well.  

And no, it doesn't mean we suck, but offensively we are without question not getting the most from the configuration of talent that we do have, which befalls nothing other than coaching, which should be a simple concept.  The fact that for the time being our pass defense is playing well is good, considering that it's a passing league more than running.   But that's not to say that teams, like us, cannot be beat by our opponents running the ball effectively as they have now in at least three of our five games.  

We'll see what happens.  But for me the most frustrating thing is watching our offense not effectively utilized Kincaid or even some of the other players, over-relying on Diggs, and generally getting less from more there.  

We should be able to beat the Giants with Kyle Allen starting if necessary though.  The next three weeks should easily be wins, even with whatever woes anyone sees us as having, none of the teams that we face over the next three weeks are any better than we are right now.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.