Ed Oliver is playing out of his mind this season

Roundybout

Nothing to add except Ed is awesome.

6mS1qh.gif

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

80% snap share vs the fins. Wild. Is this sustainable for him? We’ll see. Keep it up big Ed!

I think this is the benefit of such a heavy rotation throughout the year. He should still have plenty of juice.

Edited by elroy16

8 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

You already know 

Add big Ed to the list of players I was wrong about!  Be glad I have nothing to do with roster decisions because I’m wrong a lot!  Big baller Beane nailed it with this guy, he’s been an absolute stud and plays with an attitude.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

What happened to him against KC though? Would’ve been nice to have one of our impact players on defense to step up. 

He didn't have his best game against KC and what they showed is what the case most of the year and particularly down the stretch when Floyd completely collapsed. When Ed wasn't it the Dline disappeared. It's also worth saying that the interior of KC's line is the best in football. 

22 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I love Newton. I think he is getting missed in a lot of the chatter. I have a top 10 grade on him. I don't see him necessarily as a fit for the Bills because I think, like Byron Murphy the other first round DT, he is really a 3T and that is where Ed plays. I don't see the Bills with their holes using their first round pick on a spot where one of their top 5 players is the undisputed starter. 

5 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

What happened to him against KC though? Would’ve been nice to have one of our impact players on defense to step up. 

I know it's lame to complain about the refs, but if that game had been officiated to the standard we saw in the regular season Ed would've drawn at least 3 holding penalties. There was an egregious no call on Floyd too 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I love Newton. I think he is getting missed in a lot of the chatter. I have a top 10 grade on him. I don't see him necessarily as a fit for the Bills because I think, like Byron Murphy the other first round DT, he is really a 3T and that is where Ed plays. I don't see the Bills with their holes using their first round pick on a spot where one of their top 5 players is the undisputed starter.

Yeah I kind of figured, unless he was a 1T, which wouldn't really make sense with studying Ed, wouldn't make a lot of sense for us with our needs this year, just thought it was cool a top pick was saying stuff like that about Oliver.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I know it's lame to complain about the refs, but if that game had been officiated to the standard we saw in the regular season Ed would've drawn at least 3 holding penalties. There was an egregious no call on Floyd too 

Yeah, that’s pretty much the norm every time we play them. A lot of no calls in the SB as well. 

35 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

The best interior offensive line in the league happened to him.

Creed Humphrey is arguably the best Center in the league. (Yes, I know we passed on him for Boogie Basham).

Joe Thuney is arguably the best Guard in the league.

Trey Smith is a rising star and locks down the other side of the interior.

You can't expect extreme disruption in the interior against the Chiefs. Our chance was on the edges and Groot, Floyd, and Von did nothing against their weakest links on the outside. Ed is still a fantastic player, but he can't do it himself. There are only 2-3 guys in the entire league who can do it themselves against elite competition.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

You do know a very important number of key defensive guys were out for that game and one who played was still recovering from an ACL injury? Supporting players make a huge difference in individual performances, you should know this stuff, injures are a reason not an excuse, it makes a very big difference in a game we lost by a field goal, 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah I kind of figured, unless he was a 1T, which wouldn't really make sense with studying Ed, wouldn't make a lot of sense for us with our needs this year, just thought it was cool a top pick was saying stuff like that about Oliver.

Ed Oliver played 0T and 1T at Houston

And he said he studied him at Houston... That's why Ed's pass Rushing was very underdeveloped when he came into the League

But his run stuffing was great 

He was used to taking on double and triple teams as a 0T... He didn't have a lot of reps as a pass Rushing 3T which takes a certain skill set to get home as a rusher

Now he obviously had the athleticism and the potential to get better hands and work on the rush moves he needed from the 3T... Which he did... Which is why his pass rushing has came full circle 

But he had to learn how to use his hands which he did not have coming out in a pass rushing repertoire... He had the build and the athleticism... He didn't have the moves coming out 

He was a Elite back side run stuffer with a great bull rush and tremendous potential if he could learn how to use his hands

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He didn't have his best game against KC and what they showed is what the case most of the year and particularly down the stretch when Floyd completely collapsed. When Ed wasn't it the Dline disappeared. It's also worth saying that the interior of KC's line is the best in football. 

Bills needed a DE for Ed to not get the focus.

Cuz teams know Oliver is bringing it

We also had the LB injury situation against. Which may have had Ed play a different game than "pin the ears Back and f them up" game.

I did not watch it to be honest

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ed Oliver played 0T and 1T at Houston

And he said he studied him at Houston... That's why Ed's pass Rushing was very underdeveloped when he came into the League

But his run stuffing was great 

He was used to taking on double and triple teams as a 0T... He didn't have a lot of reps as a pass Rushing 3T which takes a certain skill set to get home as a rusher

Now he obviously had the athleticism and the potential to get better hands and work on the rush moves he needed from the 3T... Which he did... Which is why his pass rushing has came full circle 

But he had to learn how to use his hands which he did not have coming out in a pass rushing repertoire... He had the build and the athleticism... He didn't have the moves coming out 

He was a Elite back side run stuffer with a great bull rush and tremendous potential if he could learn how to use his hands

Oliver's stats in his senior season at Houston were almost entirely predicated upon his play in three games against 3-9 East Carolina and their 109th ranked Offense (out of 130), 3-10 Navy and their 96th ranked Offense, and 2-11 Rice and their 124th ranked Offense.  

He had 0 Sacks and 4 TFLs in his other five games.  

He was overrated as a 1st-round pick, a better 2nd or early 3rd.  

Not one of those schools had anyone drafted that lined up anywhere near Oliver in that season.  

Otherwise, in 10 playoff games for us, he's got 2 sacks, 5 TFLs, and 8 QB Hits.  His two best playoff games were vs. Miami (Thompson) and Pittsburgh (Rudolph) in which he logged 1 sack, 2 TFLs, and 6 QB Hits.  After that he's done almost nothing with 1 sack, 3 TFLs and 2 QB Hits in 8 other playoff games.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Oliver's stats in his senior season at Houston were almost entirely predicated upon his play in three games against 3-9 East Carolina and their 109th ranked Offense (out of 130), 3-10 Navy and their 96th ranked Offense, and 2-11 Rice and their 124th ranked Offense.  

He had 0 Sacks and 4 TFLs in his other five games.  

He was overrated as a 1st-round pick, a better 2nd or early 3rd.  

Not one of those schools had anyone drafted that lined up anywhere near Oliver in that season.  

Otherwise, in 10 playoff games for us, he's got 2 sacks, 5 TFLs, and 8 QB Hits.  His two best playoff games were vs. Miami (Thompson) and Pittsburgh (Rudolph) in which he logged 1 sack, 2 TFLs, and 6 QB Hits.  After that he's done almost nothing with 1 sack, 3 TFLs and 2 QB Hits in 8 other playoff games.  

When you are getting triple teamed as a nose tackle it's hard to put up stats

What were Vince wilfork stats as a nose tackle? 

Can't deny his impact

He was playing out of technique to help a average Houston team... While still being top 10 in tackles for loss multiple years 

He did it playing nose tackle the majority of time

He had 24 tackles for a loss as a freshman nose tackle

Edited by Buffalo716

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

When you are getting triple teamed as a nose tackle it's hard to put up stats

What were Vince wilfork stats as a nose tackle? 

Can't deny his impact

He was playing out of technique to help a average Houston team... While still being top 10 in tackles for loss multiple years 

He did it playing nose tackle the majority of time

He had 24 tackles for a loss as a freshman nose tackle

I actually reviewed video when people said that back then, it simply isn't true, or at least wasn't true in college.  He wasn't even always double-teamed and he got his a$$ handed to him in the couple of games against the big-boy teams that he played, and not by anyone that's in the NFL today.  

But we all have our opinions.  :) 

Not sure what they're all based on, but we have 'em.  And either way, I didn't seem him being swarmed in the playoffs either.  Aaron Donald, whom everyone used to compare him too way too prematurely, got DT'd all the time and he managed to put up big games despite that.  

Just sayin'.  The better players do that.  Oliver has not.  He's good, not great.  Worth the contract, but not much more than that.  

Either way, playoff performances or not, he's here for years more.  Our hump is the playoffs where it's all fallen apart defensively, like clockwork other than vs. the worst playoff teams against crap QBs in the wild-card round.  

That's going to have to change is we're ever to even make a SB much less win one.  Right now there's not a front-7 defensive player on the team that has stepped up in the playoffs with anything even approaching regularity on this team.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

I actually reviewed video when people said that back then, it simply isn't true, or at least wasn't true in college.  He wasn't even always double-teamed and he got his a$$ handed to him in the couple of games against the big-boy teams that he played, and not by anyone that's in the NFL today.  

But we all have our opinions.  :) 

Not sure what they're all based on, but we have 'em.  And either way, I didn't seem him being swarmed in the playoffs either.  Aaron Donald, whom everyone used to compare him too way too prematurely, got DT'd all the time and he managed to put up big games despite that.  

Just sayin'.  The better players do that.  Oliver has not.  He's good, not great.  Worth the contract, but not much more than that.  

Either way, playoff performances or not, he's here for years more.  Our hump is the playoffs where it's all fallen apart defensively, like clockwork other than vs. the worst playoff teams against crap QBs in the wild-card round.  

That's going to have to change is we're ever to even make a SB much less win one.  Right now there's not a front-7 defensive player on the team that has stepped up in the playoffs with anything even approaching regularity on this team.  

The truth will not be tolerated here!  He was over rated and over drafted.  Everyone got sucked into the Donald hype and he’s not close.   The painful part is, there were 3 other DTs drafted after him that are all true impact players and far better.   He’s good, just not special.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1