Why Didn't McD Let Bass-o-Matic Kick the 60-yard FG?

Freddie's Dead

Bills down 11-7, defense flagging, just completed a huge play to Diggs, then Dorsey dials up three downs of nothing.  4th and 10 on the Jagoffs 42, why not let Bass kick the 60-yard FG?  He's got the leg, go for the points.  His 50 yarders the last couple weeks hit the net more than halfway up!  I don't know what the EV is there, but I need McD to be aggressive, not punt for field position.  Don't be so afraid of giving the Jagoffs the ball at midfield.  Yes, I know it didn't make a difference in the end, but if we had the FG, the 2pt conversion would have been for the tie.  I thought this was a point in the game where we needed a lift, no matter how small.  In Bass We Trust, I thought it was the perfect time to let him try it.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Bills down 11-7, defense flagging, just completed a huge play to Diggs, then Dorsey dials up three downs of nothing.  4th and 10 on the Jagoffs 42, why not let Bass kick the 60-yard FG?  He's got the leg, go for the points.  His 50 yarders the last couple weeks hit the net more than halfway up!  I don't know what the EV is there, but I need McD to be aggressive, not punt for field position.  Don't be so afraid of giving the Jagoffs the ball at midfield.  Yes, I know it didn't make a difference in the end, but if we had the FG, the 2pt conversion would have been for the tie.  I thought this was a point in the game where we needed a lift, no matter how small.  In Bass we trust, I thought it was the perfect time to let him try it.

The Mike Tomlin effect is rubbing off on him. You know they were college teammates? And Ryan Fitzpatrick went to Harvard. 

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bubba Gump said:

The Mike Tomlin effect is rubbing off on him. You know they were college teammates? And Ryan Fitzpatrick went to Harvard. 

and Nick O’Leary, great-great-great-grandson of the lady who owned the cow that started the Great Chicago Fire, always wears his wedding band.

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

and Nick O’Leary, great-great-great-grandson of the lady who owned the cow that started the Great Chicago Fire, always wears his wedding band.

But never wore gloves, 🤣 

Edited by Bubba Gump
  • Shocked 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Bills down 11-7, defense flagging, just completed a huge play to Diggs, then Dorsey dials up three downs of nothing.  4th and 10 on the Jagoffs 42, why not let Bass kick the 60-yard FG?  He's got the leg, go for the points.  His 50 yarders the last couple weeks hit the net more than halfway up!  I don't know what the EV is there, but I need McD to be aggressive, not punt for field position.  Don't be so afraid of giving the Jagoffs the ball at midfield.  Yes, I know it didn't make a difference in the end, but if we had the FG, the 2pt conversion would have been for the tie.  I thought this was a point in the game where we needed a lift, no matter how small.  In Bass We Trust, I thought it was the perfect time to let him try it.

Davis needed to catch the ball instead of dropping it that would have been a first down.

• Like (+1) 4

Bass is a weapon that must be preserved come January. We all want to see that leg kicking the ball through the uprights in sunny Florida or a cool crisp low wind night in Kansas City. The 2023 Bills are the 2010 Packers. Get ready for some road playoff games. 

Edited by Dr.Sack
  • Haha (+1) 1

McD played scared the entire game

He punted on 4th and 2 from our 43 down 11-0

As you mentioned he chose to punt rather than go for a 59 yard FG 

It would be one thing if the defense was playing lights out, but we were getting gashed all game long. 

He also wasted multiple timeouts on defense 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Bubba Gump said:

Was it Mary and William? I forget…

2 minutes ago, harmonkillebrew said:

McD coached like he was jet lagged. 

Conservative, low energy left and right.  did nothing to inject a sense of urgency into the team

Claps were even a little lethargic. 🫤

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

• Freddie's Dead changed the title to Why Didn't McD Let Bass-o-Magic Kick the 60-yard FG?
1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

It would be one thing if the defense was playing lights out, but we were getting gashed all game long. 

Not many NFL coaches would’ve done otherwise.  

Don’t agree McD played that one scared. Calculated risk either way.  I liked the call myself. A 60 yard field goal is no guarantee at all, even for Bass. Also, our defense was beginning to get so fatigued by that time that a short field after a miss would not have ended well in all likelihood.

Edited by Mojo44

• Freddie's Dead changed the title to Why Didn't McD Let Bass-o-Matic Kick the 60-yard FG?
12 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

Don’t agree McD played that one scared. Calculated risk either way.  I liked the call myself. A 60 yard field goal is no guarantee at all, even for Bass. Also, our defense was beginning to get so fatigued by that time that a short field after a miss would not have ended well in all likelihood.

What's the threshold?  52, 55?  We're talking less than 10 yards difference, and Bass has proven that he has more than enough leg to make that kick. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Freddie's Dead said:

What's the threshold?  52, 55?  We're talking less than 10 yards difference, and Bass has proven that he has more than enough leg to make that kick. 

I absolutely agree with you. He does have enough leg to make that kick. But at 60 it’s a calculated risk. Not a gimme by far. I would have been fine with giving it a try. But I do think McD wasn’t scared. He went in the other direction and I think it was a good call given the specifics I mentioned like our worn out defense. Context is just about everything.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mojo44 said:

I absolutely agree with you. He does have enough leg to make that kick. But at 60 it’s a calculated risk. Not a gimme by far. I would have been fine with giving it a try. But I do think McD wasn’t scared. He went in the other direction and I think it was a good call given the specifics I mentioned like our worn out defense. Context is just about everything.

We seem to be in violent agreement. I never used the term scared, I just wanted McD to be more aggressive here. 

7 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

We seem to be in violent agreement. I never used the term scared, I just wanted McD to be more aggressive here. 

Well that’s fair enough. I get why he wasn’t aggressive but if he had been and went forward I would have been all in. It could be me. When I hear “scared“ it makes me think he’s pooping his pants on the sideline. I really like your clarification and I thank you. 

Edited by Mojo44
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Oline was getting steamrolled…I wouldn’t have felt very comfortable in a 4th and short situation either 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.