Allen’s underthrown passes

Einstein

44 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

no, he cannot make those passes almost ever.  When is the last in stride TD pass he has thrown over 20 yards?   He makes lazers in short windows for sure, but he needs to make the routine ones also. 

Not a routine pass .. wow the lengths your going to make your case..

59 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

then he is not an elite qb.  elite qb’s make these passes.  

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

Get outta here Bozo the Clown.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

You jump on a thread after a game and focus on JA under throws ? No ? In a game in which he generally played well considering.. those are the facts. Just responding to your #1 topic post game.

All I did was the same thing you did. Jump into a thread that someone else made and gave my unprofessional opinion. Feel free to take it however you want. 

personally I think you’re pretty clueless so your opinion means nothing to me. If you feel the same, feel free to stop replying or just block me. It’s a great feature this site has. Something that isn’t taken advantage of enough by people. 

41 minutes ago, mrags said:

Thank you. You get it obviously 

He's completely right.  Allen hasn't hit a deep ball to a WR in stride since the Steelers game last year.

This happened in the playoffs last year which means it was before the Steelers game.

This happened in week 17 last year so I believe it happened before the Steelers game.

This was an underthrown ball 45 yards in the air to John Brown.  

Just imagine if Tyreek Hill was hit in stride in this play.  

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

All I did was the same thing you did. Jump into a thread that someone else made and gave my unprofessional opinion. Feel free to take it however you want. 

personally I think you’re pretty clueless so your opinion means nothing to me. If you feel the same, feel free to stop replying or just block me. It’s a great feature this site has. Something that isn’t taken advantage of enough by people. 

Thanks for you input. It’s a forum for discussion. Your choice to block. I’m fine. Again enjoy the elite play from other QB’s today. It’s been fun 🤩 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Did you see the pressure he was under ? Just to get these passes off? Perhaps that might have something to do with it? Diggs jumps too soon.. he catches that -Bills win 

Diggs shouldn't have had to jump for the ball. Allen was under duress on both passes. The 1st pass looked like he threw it off his back foot making it short. 

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

This is not an Allen bashing thread. Please don’t turn it into one. This is a thread to talk about Allen’s tendency to underthrow this season.

In this particular game, Diggs torched his defender twice, deep, and I believe that there is a good chance that both would have been TD’s if the pass hit him in stride.

On both plays, Allen underthrew him, causing Diggs to stop running or slow down drastically.

He has had a couple other underthrown deep passes this season - mostly on deep throws.

I’m curious what you think is causing these underthrows: Do you think Allen is under-estimating how far he needs to throw it? Is it simply too far to throw? Is he not stepping into the passes? What are your thoughts?

This was the INT (Diggs had several steps on the defender).

IMG-3670.jpg

And this was the deep completion to Diggs where no one covered him (he would have walked into the endzone if the ball hit him in stride).

IMG-3674.jpg

I think he was tired.  Think Miami on the road last year and skipping the sure TD pass.  

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

What about the one he had a clean pocket and stepped into the throw? Sometimes the throw is just off. Stop acting like Allen is perfect and never makes mistakes. 

What about the “one”….. lmao 

Most of the short throws today were  not clean pockets and my comment was in “general”.

No one implied JA was perfect. With that said  ETIENNE & RIDLEY killed us today.  I wouldn’t hang this on JA.

Edited by PayDaBill$

4 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The first "under throw" is a play that takes a long time to develop.  Diggs was running sort of a horizontal pattern NOT a post pattern.  That pass was in fact perfectly thrown because Allen see's it and then launches it 50+ yards for a big gain. 

The 2nd "under thrown" pass you site was a perfectly thrown ball that Diggs should have caught giving us a 1st & goal.  Nine times out ten, Diggs maintains possession and doesn't have that ball stolen from him.

In both cases the goal is not to OVERTHROW the pass.  How many times watching any level of football do you see QB's miss wide open receivers by throwing the ball over their heads. On that play the first responsibility of the QB is to complete the pass.

Lol. Sorry but clearly you don’t know how QBs are taught.   on deep passes QBs are taught to throw it deeper, and never short.  Short is an INT, long is an incompletion.  No surprise Allen’s second underthrow was picked.

no different than throwing an out.  Always has to err to the outside, as anything inside could be an INT.

curl and hitch patterns low, as high passes get picked. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Lol. Sorry but clearly you don’t know how QBs are taught.   on deep passes QBs are taught to throw it deeper, and never short.  Short is an INT, long is an incompletion.  No surprise Allen’s second underthrow was picked.

no different than throwing an out.  Always has to err to the outside, as anything inside could be an INT.

curl and hitch patterns low, as high passes get picked. 

It was 3rd & 15.  If Allen overthrows Diggs they're punting.  And short is not an INT in every situation.  What I'm talkign about is when a guy breaks wide open.  Short is more often then not a completion for a big gain which is what QB's are taught to go for.  Into tight coverage an under throw can be an INT.  The throw to Diggs hit him in both hands.  It was on the money.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

In his postgame presser, Allen said the intercercepted pass was tipped as it left his hands. It still went 40+ yards in the air and hit the intended receiver in the hands.

I don't know why some posters are arguing about this play.  On the replay it was clear as day that Diggs got BOTH hands on the ball before the DB made a fantastic play.  Diggs completes that catch 9 out of 10 times.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

This is not an Allen bashing thread. Please don’t turn it into one. This is a thread to talk about Allen’s tendency to underthrow this season.

In this particular game, Diggs torched his defender twice, deep, and I believe that there is a good chance that both would have been TD’s if the pass hit him in stride.

On both plays, Allen underthrew him, causing Diggs to stop running or slow down drastically.

He has had a couple other underthrown deep passes this season - mostly on deep throws.

I’m curious what you think is causing these underthrows: Do you think Allen is under-estimating how far he needs to throw it? Is it simply too far to throw? Is he not stepping into the passes? What are your thoughts?

This was the INT (Diggs had several steps on the defender).

IMG-3670.jpg

And this was the deep completion to Diggs where no one covered him (he would have walked into the endzone if the ball hit him in stride).

IMG-3674.jpg

The next time Josh leads Diggs on one of these wide open deep balls, where he has beat his man, will be the first one I can remember.  I may have forgotten some where Diggs didn't have to wait or come back for it?

• Eyeroll 1

9 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

The next time Josh leads Diggs on one of these wide open deep balls, where he has beat his man, will be the first one I can remember.  I may have forgotten some where Diggs didn't have to wait or come back for it?

It really is most of them.

The Titans game last year is one where he hit him in stride.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

What about the “one”….. lmao 

Most of the short throws today were  not clean pockets and my comment was in “general”.

No one implied JA was perfect. With that said  ETIENNE & RIDLEY killed us today.  I wouldn’t hang this on JA.

You said he couldn’t step into his throws that’s why his deep ones were short. I asked what about the deep one where he could and did step into it and it was still short. There’s much more that goes into it than he couldn’t step into it. 

I’m not hanging it on Josh. Just pointing out that “general” comments are dumb and don’t add anything. The discussion was also about the deep balls so what do the short ones have to do with it?

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

In his postgame presser, Allen said the intercercepted pass was tipped as it left his hands. It still went 40+ yards in the air and hit the intended receiver in the hands.

I can believe that.  It would confirm he was trying to throw it further.

22 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Love all the arm chair qb coach guru’s out here, what a hoot!

You don’t have to be in the NFL to understand some of this stuff.  I was taught about those routes and how to throw them in middle school.  Maybe even earlier.

also, with thousands of posters, it’s inevitable that this board has people who played high level HS, or college, or even coach- in HS or a college grad assistant, something.  And those people do know what they are talking about.

there was a poster on here years ago, tgreg or something.  He got into a lot of arguments on here, and he was clearly right about basic stuff, so I found myself defending him a lot.  We ended up direct messaging each other somehow, and he told me how he played in college and was now coaching.  Made perfect sense.

11 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

I recall Allen overthrowing guys a lot  early in his career.  He’s obviously taking some heat off his deep shots this year, and it looks awkward.  I wish he’d zing them in there, he seems to do better when he rifles them downfield - like a few of those TDs to feet-for-hands Davis recently.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.