Jimmy Fallon on the Tonight Show…

LabattBlue

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Never been a fan.   That said, he has more talent in his pinky finger than someone like Jimmy Kimmel.

Tonight Show went to hell when they bungled the Leno to Conan hand over.   Conan is by far my favorite host.

conan was my favorite by far.  i think a person's favorite just had to do with when they were at the point in life where they could actually stay up and watch the late shows.  in college, we would get work done and rally around watching conan.  loved it.  triumph, the ***** bear, conan's little sister,etc.

same goes for people's favorite snl cast. it's typically who ever was on when you were in early high school.

• Agree 3

Craig Ferguson wasn't too shabby with his show that ran from 2005-2014.  He had interview skill was on the level of Carson, IMO.  He had the right idea - he got out while on top, before he got stale.

Fallon's show broke the mold with the games and skits and The Roots as the house band, but even that runs its course without a refresh, and the Roots haven't done anything in years.    

The 90s were an awesome time for late night TV.  You had breakout stars like Arsenio, Conan and Craig Kilborn and fantastic disasters like Magic Johnson, Chevy Chase and Howard Stern.   Stern's show was a harbinger of what was to come - not a lot of people found mainstream Howard all that interesting.  

Fallon has his moments as an interviewer/comedian, but I think his strengths are 1. He's great at running and organizing the show 2. He's very well connected with stars. No one landed such a great house band like The Roots until Jimmy showed up. No one brought in a mega star like Timberlake on the regular until Jimmy showed up.

Conan was my favorite. To me, he was the best comedian with the best sketches and that made the show more memorable.

8 hours ago, dpberr said:

Craig Ferguson wasn't too shabby with his show that ran from 2005-2014.  He had interview skill was on the level of Carson, IMO.  He had the right idea - he got out while on top, before he got stale.

Fallon's show broke the mold with the games and skits and The Roots as the house band, but even that runs its course without a refresh, and the Roots haven't done anything in years.    

The 90s were an awesome time for late night TV.  You had breakout stars like Arsenio, Conan and Craig Kilborn and fantastic disasters like Magic Johnson, Chevy Chase and Howard Stern.   Stern's show was a harbinger of what was to come - not a lot of people found mainstream Howard all that interesting.  

Loved Craig Ferguson!

12 hours ago, teef said:

conan was my favorite by far.  i think a person's favorite just had to do with when they were at the point in life where they could actually stay up and watch the late shows.  in college, we would get work done and rally around watching conan.  loved it.  triumph, the ***** bear, conan's little sister,etc.

same goes for people's favorite snl cast. it's typically who ever was on when you were in early high school.

Figures a guy who hates the Eagles would like Conan O’Brien. 

I seriously don’t think he’s ever made me laugh. 

Edited by Gugny

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Figures a guy who hates the Eagles would like Conan O’Brien. 

I seriously don’t think he’s ever made me laugh. 

And I’m not accepting the opinion of an adult who uses his bare hands to clean the inside of a toilet bowl.  It’s called a toilet brush.  Figure it out. 

21 minutes ago, teef said:

And I’m not accepting the opinion of an adult who uses his bare hands to clean the inside of a toilet bowl.  It’s called a toilet brush.  Figure it out. 

This was unnecessarily harsh. 

On 10/3/2023 at 8:44 AM, f0neguy said:

Hate to be the old guy here but the best late night show host ever was Johnny Carson.  End of discussion, period.

Johnny was great, but what you probably miss more is that period in history. During that time, you could tell the crudest of jokes and be celebrated for it.  The Night Show always went up to the line and sometimes crossed it. Think about it, those were the days Blazing Saddles was a big hit and socially acceptable.. try producing that movie today.

These days, political correctness and thin skins have ruined comedy. That's why Jerry Seinfeld refuses to play at universities.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Draconator said:

Craig Ferguson was my all-time favorite. He is just a downright lunatic. 

I mean, you just can't beat this! 

Lip syncing with a wig on? That's the same thing Fallon is known for...

This board is the only place I see Craig Ferguson's name regularly mentioned.

Is it a Canada thing?

On 10/3/2023 at 8:44 AM, f0neguy said:

Hate to be the old guy here but the best late night show host ever was Johnny Carson.  End of discussion, period.

Carson is on at 10 PM EDT every weekday on Antenna TV. 

Part of the fun is figuring out the year based on the amount of gray in his hair, the clothes style, and the jokes in the monologue.

6 hours ago, k2mountain said:

Johnny was great, but what you probably miss more is that period in history. During that time, you could tell the crudest of jokes and be celebrated for it.  The Night Show always went up to the line and sometimes crossed it. Think about it, those were the days Blazing Saddles was a big hit and socially acceptable.. try producing that movie today.

These days, political correctness and thin skins have ruined comedy. That's why Jerry Seinfeld refuses to play at universities.

For mainstream TV, yes. And it didn't just start recently. There's been a consistent push against offensive material since TV began.

For stand-up comedy, no. You can find the most offensive material you've ever heard out there RIGHT NOW. Marc Maron touches on this subject a lot. Basically says that any comedian who uses the "PC crowd is gonna cancel me" argument is someone who just isn't funny. Real funny well-known comedians are still pushing boundaries out there. Just look at Maron himself, Dave Chapelle, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Lip syncing with a wig on? That's the same thing Fallon is known for...

This board is the only place I see Craig Ferguson's name regularly mentioned.

Is it a Canada thing?

He's from Scotland. He talked openly about his drug use on the show. Has been sober for years. His show was just damn good. 

52 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Carson is on at 10 PM EDT every weekday on Antenna TV. 

Part of the fun is figuring out the year based on the amount of gray in his hair, the clothes style, and the jokes in the monologue.

I watch the ones with classic comedians on like Rodney Dangerfield, Don Rickles, and Jonathan Winters. Their comedy is timeless.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.