Ken Dorsey Love

BillsFan130

1 hour ago, MJS said:

He's been great all year, honestly. A lot of fans who don't know what the heck they are talking about have been calling him out.

I think to this point he’s been:

-Ok against the jets

-Great against the raiders

-Game plan seemed fine against WSH but I did not like his situational play calling

-Fantastic today all around

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

He gets a little too carried away with 1st and 10 runs, though. Other than that, great play calling

Pretty sure we eventually got two nice tuddies on 1st down play-action, though, didn't we? Or at least one TD and another explosive play. I don't know. I was there. I got a lot of sun today (and I'm a ginger). 

I get the frustration with such patterned play calling. But if it pays off over the course of a game, then that's kinda brilliant innit

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

Pretty sure we eventually got two nice tuddies on 1st down play-action, though, didn't we? Or at least one TD and another explosive play. I don't know. I was there. I got a lot of sun today (and I'm a ginger). 

I get the frustration with such patterned play calling. But if it pays off over the course of a game, then that's kinda brilliant innit

Yep I believe the Gabe TD and Diggs 3rd TD were from first down play actions

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

Ive been very critical of him for being vanilla combined with some boneheaded calls in the first game but his game calling took a huge leap today! I'm glad to see he has learned and adapted!

It’s not Dorsey who adapted it’s Josh. I’ve been a big Dorsey critic but if you watch the coach’s film from the first 3 games, the gameplan was sound and Josh was passing up the easy stuff. The difference is Josh is now taking the short stuff first, not looking deep to short. That’s a maturity thing and it’s great to see. In this game, he started off taking all the short stuff which opened up the intermediate/deep stuff. That’s what a running game and trusting your O-line does for a QB.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

It’s not Dorsey who adapted it’s Josh. I’ve been a big Dorsey critic but if you watch the coach’s film from the first 3 games, the gameplan was sound and Josh was passing up the easy stuff. The difference is Josh is now taking the short stuff first, not looking deep to short. That’s a maturity thing and it’s great to see. In this game, he started off taking all the short stuff which opened up the intermediate/deep stuff. That’s what a running game and trusting your O-line does for a QB.

I think it’s fair to question some of his situational play calling though.

Like last week, how many 2nd and long runs?

The Shot guns on 4th and inches?

And in the Jets game they only ran play action 14 percent of the time, never had Josh under centre, and got away from the run game.

I definitely think  some criticism on Dorsey was deserved

But today he was amazing , no doubt

17 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

He got the D to bite on one of our 1st and 10 play action TDs but that was after like 15 straight 1st a 10 run plays lol

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I think it’s fair to question some of his situational play calling though.

Like last week, how many 2nd and long runs?

The Shot guns on 4th and inches?

And in the Jets game they only ran play action 14 percent of the time, never had Josh under centre, and got away from the run game.

I definitely think  some criticism on Dorsey was deserved

But today he was amazing , no doubt

No question there have been some play calls that left me scratching my head wondering WTF?? But, overall his game plans have been sound, there have been open receivers in every game starting with the Jets. If Josh took the easy stuff in the first game we are 4-0. That first game might end up being a godsend because Josh has really matured quickly and has a much more business like mindset. I think that early set back really hit home and Josh is the type of guy who doesn’t just talk the talk he went back and actually fixed his mistakes. That’s so unusual even at the professional level, we really have a unicorn in him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The last 3 weeks Allen’s has made very few turnover worthy plays. I don’t think he had one today

He made good decisions all day.  One I pointed out to my family was the ball he threw to Cook.  He also had Knox open on that play but it would have required Josh to throw back across his body which is always dangerous.  He didn't do that and instead he took the safer throw to Cook up the sideline where, if he missed, nothing bad could happen.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They said in the broadcast he’s trying to look short to deep instead of deep to short. It’s hard for Allen to learn that.

I don't think that's correct. Allen haa not been going rogue ignoring his read progressions. The offense was primarily a deep to short read offense last year. This year we are seeing that progression flip in favor of short reads, and then taking shots at opportune times when the defense has been baited into cheating towards the short routes.

Dorsey absolutely mastered this concept today. Every shot play was perfectly timed. Allen smartly checked it down when the defense didn't bite. Brilliant combination of an OC in his bag and a QB making the right decision 100% of the time.

Edited by HappyDays

4 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Didn’t get frustrated when runs didn’t get much.  Not a ton of rushing yards, but kept at it.

This has been my biggest compliment of Dorsey and the biggest upgrade from Daboll to him. You can't just give up on the run entirely after a couple drives. That Jags debacle in 2021 we only ran like 8 or 9 times if I remember correctly, in a game that was always within one score. It was a losing game plan from Daboll. But Dorsey understands this concept.

You'll notice over the last three games in the 4th quarter our offense suddenly starts pouring it on. I believe this is directly tied to us committing to the run early in the game so that by the 4th quarter the opposing defense is gassed. That is a winning formula that I've been waiting years for us to commit to.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.