3 minutes and 41 seconds beatdown on this Washington team.

PrimeTime101

So. I have seen amazing defensive performances by this team in the past, but non so complete as this defense. Our MLB is an Asset not a hole. Tre Is back. It Kills me to say this but Poyer is the only liability on this defense. Being a Poyer fan, he continues to take awful angles at apposing WR/RB.

But lets get to this amazing beatdown video.. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This was probably the best defensive performance I can remember from a Bills team, at least in terms of the stat sheet- sacks, interceptions, etc.

Sidenote: Why is the Tre White pick not a touchback? He dove and landed in the end zone and didn’t attempt to advance the ball. If a guy catches a pick on the 1-2 and his momentum takes him into the end zone they almost always call it a touchback. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Zag20 said:

This was probably the best defensive performance I can remember from a Bills team, at least in terms of the stat sheet- sacks, interceptions, etc.

Sidenote: Why is the Tre White pick not a touchback? He dove and landed in the end zone and didn’t attempt to advance the ball. If a guy catches a pick on the 1-2 and his momentum takes him into the end zone they almost always call it a touchback. 

I think they got the touchback wrong. Tre did try to get up which maybe they thought meant he was seeking to advance the ball. I thought he was down by contact in any event. The receiver's foot flicked against him as he came down with the ball.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Zag20 said:

SPEAKING OF GREAT DEFENSE....

The Monday Night Football game against Miami in 1999 was one of the greatest defensive performances I have ever seen... it was a defensive feast!

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199910040mia.htm

8 hours ago, Zag20 said:

Last week's game featured a bunch of weird officiating decisions like this.  The phantom tripping call on Kincaid, the missed fumble recovery, the call for defensive holding on a play where the RB ran directly into the pile, and so on.  Each of those was NBD as an isolated one-off, but it felt like literally every contestable call went Washington's way for the entire freaking game.  

I can see that White rolled out of the end zone, but the interception obviously occurred in the EZ and White is obviously giving himself up.  We all see plays like that all the time, and probably 90% of them are ruled as touchbacks.    

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

In the fourth quarter, the Bills broke the will of the Commanders.  That's not supposed to happen with professionals, but you could see the entire Washington offense, particularly Howell, just shrinking in anticipation of the abuse they knew was coming immediately after each snap.  After that, it was sharks in the bloody water.  Fun for us to watch and a warning shot to the rest of the league's also-rans, but shocking to see the Commanders fold like that.

39 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Last week's game featured a bunch of weird officiating decisions like this.  The phantom tripping call on Kincaid, the missed fumble recovery, the call for defensive holding on a play where the RB ran directly into the pile, and so on.  Each of those was NBD as an isolated one-off, but it felt like literally every contestable call went Washington's way for the entire freaking game.  

I can see that White rolled out of the end zone, but the interception obviously occurred in the EZ and White is obviously giving himself up.  We all see plays like that all the time, and probably 90% of them are ruled as touchbacks.    

I look at it like he was rolling to make sure the ball never touches the ground

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I look at it like he was rolling to make sure the ball never touches the ground

Yeah.  He clearly had given himself up and was not trying to advance the ball.  That could have been a really bad turn of events if the Bills hadn't been able to push the ball out from the goal line.  Could have been a safety, or could have resulted in a punt from the back of the end zone.  

2 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

SPEAKING OF GREAT DEFENSE....

The Monday Night Football game against Miami in 1999 was one of the greatest defensive performances I have ever seen... it was a defensive feast!

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199910040mia.htm

That was probably the best defense in Bills’ history.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Yeah.  He clearly had given himself up and was not trying to advance the ball.  That could have been a really bad turn of events if the Bills hadn't been able to push the ball out from the goal line.  Could have been a safety, or could have resulted in a punt from the back of the end zone.  

Seems like a “common sense” judgement that the league likes to make.

59 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

That officiating crew is notoriously bad.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

The defensive holding was legit. Phillips (I think) held the olineman so Bernard could get in unscathed. They should have shown a better replay on the broadcast.

The fumble they called forward progress. It makes sense.

The Kincaid one was certainly not a penalty, though.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, mannc said:

That was probably the best defense in Bills’ history.

The 1999 team's defense WAS great.  Bruce Smith was still playing (for the Bills), along with Ted Washington and Sam Cowart, and it was just dominant.  I recall telling a co-worker before the playoff game between the Bills and the Titans that the winner was going to the Super Bowl because both teams had such good defenses.  I was right, and I think I would also have been right if the Bills had just covered the final kickoff like professionals.  

The offense was generally good, too.  We had Andre Reed AND Eric Moulds.  We had Thurman Thomas, Antowain Smith, and Jonathan Linton (whom we've forgotten about but who was pretty good).  The O line was good, with John Fina and Ruben Brown.  Unfortunately, we didn't have a dominant QB, and Ralph Wilson forced Wade Phillips to play the wrong one.  This led to a defensive struggle throughout the entire game, because the Titans also had excellent personnel.  The Bills had a SB-quality team, and I think probably would have won the SB if they'd made it there.

3 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

What Miami's Offense did against Denver was obviously historic but I think what our Defense did against the commanders is also pretty historic.  The strength versus strength battle this week is gonna be fascinating.

Agreed.  But don't overlook the other side.  The Bills offense has been running in second gear, which has been good enough to win two games.  I'm assuming that Dorsey has a long list of plays he's held in reserve, that will let the O dominate the Dolphin's D.  Check the Broncos stats.  Russell Wilson had a good game, which was just overshadowed by the collapse of the Denver D.  The Bills have a considerably better O than the Broncos do, with more weapons and a better O line.  And a better QB of course.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Zag20 said:

Combined Sacks + Fumbles + INT splash plays? I cant remember another game better. 

8 minutes ago, Utah John said:

The 1999 team's defense WAS great.  Bruce Smith was still playing (for the Bills), along with Ted Washington and Sam Cowart, and it was just dominant.  I recall telling a co-worker before the playoff game between the Bills and the Titans that the winner was going to the Super Bowl because both teams had such good defenses.  I was right, and I think I would also have been right if the Bills had just covered the final kickoff like professionals.  

The offense was generally good, too.  We had Andre Reed AND Eric Moulds.  We had Thurman Thomas, Antowain Smith, and Jonathan Linton (whom we've forgotten about but who was pretty good).  The O line was good, with John Fina and Ruben Brown.  Unfortunately, we didn't have a dominant QB, and Ralph Wilson forced Wade Phillips to play the wrong one.  This led to a defensive struggle throughout the entire game, because the Titans also had excellent personnel.  The Bills had a SB-quality team, and I think probably would have won the SB if they'd made it there.

Agreed.  But don't overlook the other side.  The Bills offense has been running in second gear, which has been good enough to win two games.  I'm assuming that Dorsey has a long list of plays he's held in reserve, that will let the O dominate the Dolphin's D.  Check the Broncos stats.  Russell Wilson had a good game, which was just overshadowed by the collapse of the Denver D.  The Bills have a considerably better O than the Broncos do, with more weapons and a better O line.  And a better QB of course.  

Agree both Miami Defense and our Offense have not been as good as expected.  I will say we can at least point to two good defenses for our struggles.  Chargers can move the ball, but 20 first downs to the Patriots could be a bit concerning.  The best think Miami's defense has going for them is turnovers which can be mecurial (though its our worst offensive attribute).

47 minutes ago, MJS said:

The defensive holding was legit. Phillips (I think) held the olineman so Bernard could get in unscathed. They should have shown a better replay on the broadcast.

The fumble they called forward progress. It makes sense.

The Kincaid one was certainly not a penalty, though.

Calling forward progress on that play makes no sense at all. 

It's easily one of the worst 'forward progress' decisions I've ever seen. The entire tackle was completed in under 1 second. 

In fact the tackle was so quick the only question on the play was if it was a catch and fumble, or just an incompletion as the WR didn't complete the process of a catch. 

The refs didn't want the play to be reviewed and threw out 'forward progress' as a bull ***** excuse. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Calling forward progress on that play makes no sense at all. 

It's easily one of the worst 'forward progress' decisions I've ever seen. The entire tackle was completed in under 1 second. 

In fact the tackle was so quick the only question on the play was if it was a catch and fumble, or just an incompletion as the WR didn't complete the process of a catch. 

The refs didn't want the play to be reviewed and threw out 'forward progress' as a bull ***** excuse. 

They didn’t want the play reviewed because they blew the whistle with the ball still loose in the field. 

7 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

They didn’t want the play reviewed because they blew the whistle with the ball still loose in the field. 

Yup, they wanted to avoid having egg on their face from a quick whistle taking a Bills TD off the board. 

I think the play probably would've been ruled an incomplete pass after review, but calling it forward progress was egregiously wrong. 

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they got the touchback wrong. Tre did try to get up which maybe they thought meant he was seeking to advance the ball. I thought he was down by contact in any event. The receiver's foot flicked against him as he came down with the ball.

I agree 100% on the touchback as well.  I was very disappointed the Bills dint challenge that Tre was down and touched in the endzone.  That was brutal field position and definitely worth the challenge imo.

3 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

I was listening to the Washington feed on Sirius on radio (big mistake, terrible homers) when the Kincaid tripping call, it was so egregious they were laughing about it and urged the Commanders to quick run a play.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.