Film Breakdown on Terrel Bernard - Also, Keep an Eye on the Rest of the Defense as Well.

sven233

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

In HS, basketball was my biggest passion as it was my best sport.  I played varsity as a sophomore and when asked what my top 2 number choices were.  My first choice was 42, for my favorite player James Worthy.  My second choice was 44, for Hank Gathers.  Just my luck, both were taken by upper class men and they defaulted me to 43.   Epic fail and 43 has been 💩  to me ever since 

Well now it must be like we hear in the mic'd up sessions "Good ***** man good *****!"

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, sven233 said:

Finally had the time to go back and watch this video.

WOW. This kid is all over the field, and I agree with Erik - he is HUNTING.

If this isnt just a fluke or beginner's luck, we really struck gold here because this kid's "instincts" jump off the screen. (I agree with Erik that "instincts" discounts a lot of the work the player puts in, but it fits)

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If this isnt just a fluke or beginner's luck, we really struck gold here because this kid's "instincts" jump off the screen. (I agree with Erik that "instincts" discounts a lot of the work the player puts in, but it fits)

Is it too early to say he's the greatest MLB of all time?

• Haha (+1) 4

19 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think this applies to most linebackers.  If you have a 300+ lineman coming clean, he should win that battle nearly 100% of the time.

I just don't see many classic run-stuffing big MLBs in the NFL anymore. Brandon Spikes is a thing of the past.

I would expect Belichick to run heavy sets against us, but that's just as much about them not having a good passing attack and doing the best with what they have.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I just don't see many classic run-stuffing big MLBs in the NFL anymore. Brandon Spikes is a thing of the past.

I would expect Belichick to run heavy sets against us, but that's just as much about them not having a good passing attack and doing the best with what they have.

If you can't drop in coverage as an off the ball linebacker, you won't be in the NFL for long anymore.

The thing is, if Bernard was 20 lbs heavier, how much of a difference is it going to be for him to take on a clean Offensive lineman?  There would be no difference and will still be washed away.

Speed and recognition trumps everything.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, PBF81 said:

He was.  It was clear.  

Find the UTM running plays that he did well on?  

To start, there were only a couple.  Two for large gains.  

I realize that living in fantasyland where a guy plays well against the pass means that he's been perfect all around, but that simply was not the case.  I provided the time shots in the highlight video.  

Again, it's the UTM plays that I'm referring to, and sorry, but he did nothing on any of them.  ... as the MLB.  

He'll have an opportunity to shine in that role on Sunday quite possibly.  Let's hope he's better then than he was on Sunday or we're in trouble if the Fins run UTM often.  

Thanks for your analysis and feedback on Bernard, it's great to have contrasting input.  The biggest negative of Bernard vs Edmunds will probably be in goal line situations as Bernard's smaller size will be magnified.

He's going to make his share of mistakes but it's clear he's passionate, smart, and very decisive.  My hope is that he'll be a true quarterback of the defense, making changes on the fly to adjust to offenses throwing something unexpected at us. 

I was curious, have you evaluated Edmunds' run defense in the past and could you compare the two players if so?  TIA

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If you can't drop in coverage as an off the ball linebacker, you won't be in the NFL for long anymore.

The thing is, if Bernard was 20 lbs heavier, how much of a difference is it going to be for him to take on a clean Offensive lineman?  There would be no difference and will still be washed away.

Speed and recognition trumps everything.  

I'd like to see him put on some muscle, but it took several years for Milano to build up.

He looked slow and tentative last season, but now it appears that was just learning our defense and learning the NFL game.

The other thing - I was noticing watching some other teams, that a guy who is tackling, is tackling alone.  The Bills "flow to the ball" so much, that it usually doesn't matter if Bernard is too light to bring a guy down, he's just slowing him up until Ed Oliver or Milano or Poyer land on him.

I still have concerns but so far, Looking Good.

I think Christian Kirksey pressing the "eject" button says as much about how players and coaches view him, as anything.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Allen's multiple passionate interactions with him on the sideline shows that the team already respects him 

Loved seeing it. And I don’t remember too many* of those moments between Allen and our last MLB.

*When I say “too many” I actually mean “one.”

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Don't get me wrong I think Taron is a great football player and a top NCB, but next season is the last on his contract.

I don't know if the Bills will be able to afford him.  Some team will pay him big money I'm guessing.

It will be very interesting to see what happens.

I'd be surprised of Taron gets big money from somewhere else. He's already 27 and his last deal with the Bills was 3 years for $24 million. I'd expect something similar again from the Bills, maybe this offseason to avoid getting to free agency.

Someone mentioned it a while back, but the flow of the entire D is awesome to watch. Their spacing is on point and everyone is doing there 1/11th. I also loved the run play where Bernard stands in the hole for a split second and then darts into the next gap as soon as the running makes a cut. As soon as Bernard leaves that gap, Taron comes flying in through there while Bernard helps stop the runner in the next gap. 

Not to dog on Tremaine too much, I was always a fan, but this is rough.

Bernard just seems to fit in this defense better than Tremaine did, especially with McD calling a more aggressive game. I was worried about Bernard dropping into deep zones, but even that he looks like he's excelling by reading the QB and having a great feel for zone D.

Edited by elroy16
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

our own version of Derrick Brooks, yes please.  Brooks was only 6'0 235 

Bernard was a half second / whistle / review from

7 Tackles, 2 Sacks, 2 Fumble Recoveries, Int, TD 

I don't think that other one was a fumble. It definitely wasn't forward progress. But to me was a clear incomplete pass. Bang bang play. Receiver never establishes control, no "football move". Should have been incomplete.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

As long as he (Williams) is quick between the ears as well…

I am a big believer in Williams, went to Tulane Grad school so I watched a lot of him.  Tulane is not a football factory school like so many Div 1 schools, the players actually attend real classes.  I have watched him play & heard Williams speak, he is very articulate and speaks intelligently.  Give him time, he will become a great LBers.  Too young and inexperienced to be MLBer this year except when the game outcome has already been decided.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He’s a modern LB. Weirdly a team like the Titans might give us more trouble defensively than one of these 4 receiver ones. I can’t imagine how an OC doesn’t just try to run it down our throats 

thats the only thing that makes me nervous. It’s a long season and we have soem small (but baller) LBs. I just press they hold up because they are the most athletic group in the nfl. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/26/2023 at 12:03 AM, GunnerBill said:

I think he was better than average against the run. Both week 2 and week 3 he would have graded out positively in that regard (and indeed has per PFF if you go in for that kind of thing). 

Are there bigger tests to come? Yep. Will last Sunday likely be the best game he ever plays? Probably... 2 sacks, 2 TFL, 1 INT, 1 pass defensed, 2 pressures and a fumble recovery is gonna be a hard stat line to ever top. 

But so far when some of us (myself included) were fearing a liablity he has actually been a playmaking positive at MLB. He'd be borderline top 10 at the position based on performance through 3 weeks. 

I don't buy your "he should only improve not get worse" take. Football isn't that linear. Especially with young players. And especially with players that teams start to get film on. People will try and use his aggression against the run against him. They will run play action and try and throw over the top of him etc. They will run misdirection..... offensive playcallers will have gone into this season not knowing much about Bernard and as they get more tape they will adjust and he will have to respond.

PFF is one resource.  I had spoken to them about working for them years ago, I understand how they arrive at their ratings, which is a sound process.  It's not an end-all-to-be-all, but it's a sound decision based on well more than a single person rendering a determination.  

Agree on your third sentence, but consider, teams haven't run much against us, 13 non-QB carries average the last two weeks.  Which as you know is way below average.  

The single game in which a team did run against us, and with all but zero balance in the passing game, was the Jets, who were generally successful at it, rushing 24 times for 166 yards.  Even with that 83 yard long run not considered, which was largely on Bernard BTW, we can call it alignment or whatever, but it was his play to make, they still put up 23 carries for 83 yards, which given the circumstances was decent.  

As to your last statement, yes, I realize that it's not linear, but at the same time, if as I suspect will be the case, as teams run more on us, and more UTM, little of which happened the past two games, I suspect that he's not even going to be average, again, specifically vs. UTM/off-tackle runs.  

I have also noticed that we're running several different configurations re: LB set-ups.  

We'll see what happens Sunday.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about that game, for which a loss would put us in a significant hole for both division and conf record.  I'm optimistic however.  Overall I'm quite satisfied with the way we're playing, but I'm also not delusional in thinking that the three teams that we've beaten won't be anything but finishing with losing records with none making the playoffs come the end of the season.  Also, I'm also not expecting any of the QBs that we've played to finish above-average in passing either. 

As always, we'll see.  Sunday will be huge however.  The fan energy is going to be sick.  I hope we capitalize.  

8 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

As to your last statement, yes, I realize that it's not linear, but at the same time, if as I suspect will be the case, as teams run more on us, and more UTM, little of which happened the past two games, I suspect that he's not even going to be average, again, specifically vs. UTM/off-tackle runs.  

But what makes you suspect that? Is it just his size? 

On 9/26/2023 at 5:52 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

Great to see a Mike that can trust his instincts, his knowledge of his defense, his teammates and just go out there and fly around.  

Edmunds was an obstacle just trying to get into the way of the offense. Bernard looks to be a ball of fire trying to be playmaker and leader of the defense….. after 4 starts 

I hope he’s doing yoga and stays healthy!

On 9/26/2023 at 9:52 AM, GaryPinC said:

Thanks for your analysis and feedback on Bernard, it's great to have contrasting input.  The biggest negative of Bernard vs Edmunds will probably be in goal line situations as Bernard's smaller size will be magnified.

He's going to make his share of mistakes but it's clear he's passionate, smart, and very decisive.  My hope is that he'll be a true quarterback of the defense, making changes on the fly to adjust to offenses throwing something unexpected at us. 

I was curious, have you evaluated Edmunds' run defense in the past and could you compare the two players if so?  TIA

Thanks, and please, don't get me wrong, I'm far from the notion that Bernard sucks, both he and the rookie Williams should have zero troubles in pass D.  The draft profiles on both, pervasively, state that.  Williams is supposed to be even more quick thinking/processing than Bernard.  I'm sure that both are intelligent leaders for the D, etc.  

My criticism of Bernard is limited because the UTM runs against us in the past two games have been limited.  I think there were only 7 or 8 combined in both games, of 26 carries.  Bernard shone in two of them.  

I leave room for him becoming a beast there, I simply never see it happening however.  Whether that become relevant, who knows.  I suspect that come playoff time when we face balanced offenses with good OCs and HCs, that it would become a problem, at least in one game, and that's all it takes to get outsted from the playoffs, eh, a one-game lapse like that where the opponent capitalizes on a weakness.  

As to Edmunds, I've never looked at him in crazy detail, but enough to know that he was hit and miss vs. the run.  Inconsistent is the one word I'd use to describe him.  My big thing re: Edmunds is that he was expected to play a weird role, similar to what we're running this season, not typically a traditional 4-3, and the reason for that, to me anyway, is obvious, we don't have the proper personnel to run one.  We're so overly focused on stopping the passing game that IMO we've overlooked the key pieces for stopping the run.  We'll find out more as the season develops and we begin to play better coached, more talented, more well-rounded teams.  

Also, and this is huge for me, he was the youngest player in the NFL in his rookie season.  He's always been asked to play in a weird non-traditional alignment that he's never been in, and I'm not sure many LBs have been in, and he was 24 last season, his fourth here.  He's only 25 as of May.  IMO it was way too early to determine that he wasn't going to be good here.  Having said that, IMO it was in his own best interests, as a player with an NFL career in mind, to get out of here.  So while I don't believe that either Williams or Bernard (who's exactly one year younger than Edmunds) will ever be as good as Edmunds, if this is the defense we're going to play here, I suppose that there's a chance that they're better suited to it.  McBeane don't explain to us what they're doing with their alignments and whether or not 'they're doing what they can with the talent that they have,' or this has been fully planned, but I see it being an issue come playoff time and in our games agains tougher offenses.  

I haven't paid much attention to Edmunds this year, but I do know that unlike us, he is playing in a traditional 4-3 most of the time over there.  

But a quick google just now turned up the following, which seems to contradict the sour-grapes take that's prominent here; 

https://bearstalk.com/tremaine-edmunds-earned-bears-highest-pff-grade-on-defense-in-week-2/

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-every-nfl-team-most-improved-player-2022

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2023-free-agent-rankings-linebacker

FWIW  

At the end of the day, as much as I think Edmunds was better than anyone we now have on the roster, without hesitation, I think that for his own sake he's better off not here.  I've said before, I expect him to finish the season among the top-10 traditional MLBs in all facets of the game, likely towards the higher end of that.  

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Look, I know we're going to disagree here, and I'll be the pariah in the forums that is the retraded skeptical guy.  But in traffic, whether people see it or not, he gets bounced around like a lightweight.  I've pointed out the plays and people simply make excuses.  

I'll tell you what though, I'll make a friendly wager with you that come December, few people will be defending his run defense skills.  

And handful of plays in couple of routs don't do it for me.  

Like I said, I'm happy to play the role of the retradeed skeptic.  I've been there often, ... initially.  :) 

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And BTW, if he becomes a beast at MLB vs. the run, great.  Happy to be wrong.  Just what we need, so I'd be elated.  Why wouldn't I be.  

:) 

Edited by PBF81

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.