Bills/Commanders Postgame Thread

HappyDays

2 hours ago, BillsUberAlles said:

Terrel Bernard was the best player on the field on either side of the ball yesterday.

I am not sure I could have ever imagined myself saying that, and I don't think we ever said that in all the years Tremaine Edmunds was here.

Bernard had an INT, 2 sacks, 2 TFLs, another TFL that was nullified by a defensive penalty, led the team in tackles and was pretty much everywhere yesterday.

I am honestly stunned that we may have another Milano playing next to Milano.

I'm starting to really buy in on McDermott's vision for this Defense.  

Spend/Invest heavily on the DL to keep the LB's clean.  Draft speed/athleticism linebackers that fall in the draft due to being undersized and just let them loose behind that DL. 

Milano & Bernard look like structured chaos out there with their speed, instincts, coverage ability and violent short area burst.. and we have another one being developed behind them in Dorian Williams. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5

Bizarre Bills defensive stat juxtaposition:

2nd in points allowed, 2nd in yards allowed, 1st in turnovers forced, 3rd in passing yards allowed, 6th in net yards per passing attempt, and ... 32nd in yards per rush given up (5.9 ypc).

The most telling stat, however: 

Bills team passer rating: 90.3

Opponents' collective team passer rating: 54.0

That differential of 35.7 is massive, and passer rating differential is the best predictive stat of all with regard to aligning with winning and losing games.

Of course, they've faced some pretty bad quarterbacking so far ...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

He's in good company.  Only Brian Urlacher and James Harrison have achieved what Bernard did today.  Pretty impressive.

Did it ever occur to you that the reason the offense was "herky jerky" was because the Commanders defense aren't pushovers?   They have a good defense lead by their very stout DL with Chase Young and friends.

Yes, Madden is certainly is the standard measure of reality.   Maybe when you finish with middle school you'll realize that.

Sure. But they lost to the jets in a woeful offensive performance. And looked herky jerky against raiders. And many many many games last year. And no showed v cincy 

• Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

2nd in points allowed, 2nd in yards allowed, 1st in turnovers forced, 3rd in passing yards allowed, 6th in net yards per passing attempt, and ... 32nd in yards per rush given up (5.9 ypc).

That differential of 35.7 is massive, and passer rating differential is the best predictive stat of all with regard to aligning with winning and losing games.

Wilson had his best game of the season vs us and passer rating of 81.4

Jimmy G was a 68.9 and his game was below average.

Howell at 41.5 stunk and drives the average down a ton. Was easily his worst game of the season. 

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Idk…. I’m discussing the good and the bad.  What I liked and what I disliked.

I loved pretty much everything about the defense.  The DL was unstoppable.  The LBs were everywhere.  The DBs took advantage our DLs dominance.  I loved the pass blocking.  Josh and Diggs played great.  

I didn’t like kincaids usage (especially compared to Harty).  I question Dorsey’s ability to use either of those guys atm.   I didn’t like a handful of Dorsey’s calls.  I didn’t think the OL was getting much movement in the run game in the first half.  2 offensive TDs to 3 FGs- should the the other way around

If you’ve been on this board awhile you should know that the people that are focusing “most” on the bad, do the same thing every week…… it’s who they are.  Common knowledge and expected imo. 

The O-line did pretty good I think given the competition they were up against managing to keep Josh clean all game and managing to get the run game going eventually is pretty decent, if they'd just been able to run on them all day and protect Josh against that front it'd have been a pretty incredible performance.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Wilson had his best game of the season vs us and passer rating of 81.4

Jimmy G was a 68.9 and his game was below average.

Howell at 41.5 stunk and drives the average down a ton. Was easily his worst game of the season. 

What collective passer rating does that individual qb ratings don't is factor in negative sack yardage into the rating (which is the way it should be). The Bills have 12 sacks for 68 negative yards. The Commanders' team passer rating was 35.1. The Jets team passer rating factor in a Rogers incompletion and 24 sack yards was 73.3. 

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The O-line did pretty good I think given the competition they were up against managing to keep Josh clean all game and managing to get the run game going eventually is pretty decent, if they'd just been able to run on them all day and protect Josh against that front it'd have been a pretty incredible performance.

For sure.  Our pass protection was amazing.  I don’t think Josh got touched all game.  

Has anyone rewatched and found out how many times we used the TEs and RBs to help?  Iirc, I think we used 6 offensive lineman on a handful of occasions as well.  Get Josh ample protection and we should roll

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

McDermott's D has given up a good number of long runs.  It's also stuffed the run a good number of times.

It's a passing league and it seems to me McDermott defends that first.  Giving up a couple of chunk running plays a game doesn't cripple the D.

It does "skew" the numbers in "yard per rush" but ultimately the defensive scheme is to limit the TOTAL yards against and TOTAL points against.

There has been a number of opponent drives that ran the ball on 1st and 2nd and were left with a 3rd and long(ish).  The 3rd resulted in a punt.

Your post is a prime example how a certain stat, while looking horrible, is not an issue when taken in context to the overall play.

All that said I will just have to accept all the "McDermott's D sucks against the run" in GDTs every time an opposing RB rips a 30-yard run.

It's just the price of doing business for the D, plus most of those runs can come down to a well schemed D just missing a gap or tackle.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

McDermott's D has given up a good number of long runs.  It's also stuffed the run a good number of times.

It's a passing league and it seems to me McDermott defends that first.  Giving up a couple of chunk running plays a game doesn't cripple the D.

It does "skew" the numbers in "yard per rush" but ultimately the defensive scheme is to limit the TOTAL yards against and TOTAL points against.

There has been a number of opponent drives that ran the ball on 1st and 2nd and were left with a 3rd and long(ish).  The 3rd resulted in a punt.

Your post is a prime example how a certain stat, while looking horrible, is not an issue when taken in context to the overall play.

All that said I will just have to accept all the "McDermott's D sucks against the run" in GDTs every time an opposing RB rips a 30-yard run.

It's just the price of doing business for the D, plus most of those runs can come down to a well schemed D just missing a gap or tackle.

I don't actually disagree with you. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We should ABSOLUTELY NOT be taking tips from the Raiders. That was an act of desperation by a loser team.

Truly dominant, winning teams dont need to do that stuff. Just line up and gain the 2 feet we need.

That's nonsense.    Throwing a downfield pass on third or fourth down and short is a classic play call.  I'm sure that both Bill Belichick and Andy Reid have had it in their playbooks for decades even if Mike McDaniel doesn't.

6 minutes ago, SoTier said:

That's nonsense.    Throwing a downfield pass on third or fourth down and short is a classic play call.  I'm sure that both Bill Belichick and Andy Reid have had it in their playbooks for decades even if Mike McDaniel doesn't.

3rd down, sure. But both plays in discussion were on 4th down. 4th down you line up and push for 2 feet.

Especially if you want to take a deep shot on 3rd and short. You do that only if you know you are going for it on 4th with a sneak.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

Lining up in shotgun on 4th and 6 inches should happen 0.000000% of the time

Exactly, I don't even mind the pass. It's the fact that it was out of shotgun. If you decide to run the ball, you're already 4 yards behind the first down marker.

Someone posted the rushing yards per carry. I have no idea why Wash did not try to run the ball. You look at the first few drives or even the entire first half when the game was still close. The first drive had two runs for 7 and 5 yards, yet they threw on 6 of 8 plays. The next they go out and its run, two passes and punt. The next drive is 1 run not including he end around in 8 plays. Then 3 straight passes ending with an int. Lastly a 10 yard run to end the. So they essentially had 4 drives and gave Robinson the rock 5 times for 20 yards in what was mostly a close game. Too little too late when they come out and have more success in the second half running it 5 times for 46 yards on the first drive that still ends in an int when they go back to passing in the end zone. Next drive they run twice for 6 and 13 yards before passing it 4 straight plays again. Meanwhile its still only a 16-0 game...I have no clue why Wash thought they had Mahomes back at QB. If they just ran the ball this is likely a much closer game. 

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, kkim0904 said:

Defense did created 5 turnovers (one for touchdown) and 9 sacks.  We could not blow them out until 4Q.

Look at it the other way. We didn't need to blow them out so we played conservatively. We're always saying we want Josh to avoid turnovers but get mad when he does.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Milano & Bernard look like structured chaos out there with their speed, instincts, coverage ability and violent short area burst.. and we have another one being developed behind them in Dorian Williams. 

Was just thinking how Dorian looked far better this preseason as a rookie than Bernard ever did last year. Even more instinctive and violent. Figured Bernard would be the placeholder till they could get Dorian coached up, but...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.