Terrel Bernard Appreciation Thread

Rigotz

10 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Was Orlovsky saying that Terrell Bernard is playing middle linebacker “as good as anybody right now in the NFL doing that”?  If so, high praise.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

With respect to the DL, I think Milano and Bernard are far and away the #1 reason for our defensive shutdowns over the past 3 weeks. Honorable mention to Taron Johnson. Our 2nd level is the best in the league and it isn't close. They're getting their hands on a lot of balls and they aren't letting anyone get past them.

I would agree that Bernard/Milano/Johnson is probably right there with the 49ers for best second level in the NFL.. and it's a huge reason why our Defense is elite.  

Our DL though, for as elite as they are as rushing the passer.. also is solid against the run and doesn't let big bodies get to the second level.  That also allows our linebackers to play in space, where their speed and athleticism is put on full display. 

The entire Front 7 is a monster, and they work so well together.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

At least one of these runs is UTM as one concerned poster coins it. 

I counted 4 UTM run plays.  The last one, who took on the block of 300 lbs guard, disengaged and swarmed to the ball.  That was incredibly impressive….most MLB outside of the top ones are getting washed away on that.  

Damn, Orvlosky might be right…Bernard is playing at an elite level.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Did they also happen to mention the Jags ran for 200yards on us😂😂

In fairness to them Bernard did play well on Sunday even with the utter chaos around him. But on any play where the Jags were able to neutralise him the rest was a mess. Particularly our outside contain. Was a good plan from Jacksonville. They knew we were thin on the edge and down to backup corners outside and they called their run game accordingly. Does happen to play to ETN's strengths as well. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In fairness to them Bernard did play well on Sunday even with the utter chaos around him. But on any play where the Jags were able to neutralise him the rest was a mess. Particularly our outside contain. Was a good plan from Jacksonville. They knew we were thin on the edge and down to backup corners outside and they called their run game accordingly. Does happen to play to ETN's strengths as well. 

Here are two stats I want you to think about re the Bills defense rn

27th in opponents net yards/play

31th in opponents rush yards/attempt

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That YPA was notably worse prior to our injuries this week.  

We also rank 25th in rushing yards allowed.  

That's the problem with selective use of video to illustrate points.  

Bernard's been a pleasant surprise and the liability that he could have been.  The issue is our D overall.  It's very high-energy, and IMO contributing to the injury situation.  It's built to stop the pass, which it's done nicely, but largely against Wilson, Garropalo, and Howard.  Tua and Lawrence played alright, particularly considering that their OCs led them to a combined 338 rushing yards, or 169 rushing YPG against us.  

So it seems that some caution is advised.  

Meanwhile, Miami, seemingly a defense with less talent than us, is right there with us in the defensive rankings, yet with a somewhat better rushing defense, particularly the past four weeks.  

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

That YPA was notably worse prior to our injuries this week.  

We also rank 25th in rushing yards allowed.  

That's the problem with selective use of video to illustrate points.  

Bernard's been a pleasant surprise and the liability that he could have been.  The issue is our D overall.  It's very high-energy, and IMO contributing to the injury situation.  It's built to stop the pass, which it's done nicely, but largely against Wilson, Garropalo, and Howard.  Tua and Lawrence played alright, particularly considering that their OCs led them to a combined 338 rushing yards, or 169 rushing YPG against us.  

So it seems that some caution is advised.  

Meanwhile, Miami, seemingly a defense with less talent than us, is right there with us in the defensive rankings, yet with a somewhat better rushing defense, particularly the past four weeks.  

high energy is a good way of putting it imo

they've been reliant on the sacks and turnovers, first in the league in both...imo sacks can be relied upon but we all know turnovers have a big luck component

this is a defense dependent on the big play more than anything else right now, it has not been 'good' imo

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

high energy is a good way of putting it imo

they've been reliant on the sacks and turnovers, first in the league in both...imo sacks can be relied upon but we all know turnovers have a big luck component

this is a defense dependent on the big play more than anything else right now, it has not been 'good' imo

I don’t care if they’re no longer top 5 or the top defense in the NFL. Just make a few timely stops against the better offenses, that’s all I ask. Can we get 3 punts from the likes of Mahomes, Tua, etc.? It’s up to Josh and crew to win us the SB. Always has been.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I hate to say it but we were badly out coached on Sunday. On both sides of the ball. Poor clock and timeout management, awful offensive game plan, we let their two best players Etienne and Ridley go off on us.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

We are being more aggressive which would lead to bigger plays.  The alternative would be playing it safe, a read react defense like Frazier. 

We also probably are tops in the league in negative stops 

If you tell me we are going to give up big plays but we effect the QB consistently, get sacks, turnovers and holding teams to 16 ppg per game....I will 100% take it.

Our 3rd down defense is 13th right now but it was top 5 prior to the Jags game.  The Jags offense would have continued to suck if we were at least semi healthy.

That number will go back down and I should be top 10 by the end of the year.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I hate to say it but we were badly out coached on Sunday. On both sides of the ball. Poor clock and timeout management, awful offensive game plan, we let their two best players Etienne and Ridley go off on us.

They did have a game planning time advantage not having go anywhere let alone international and deal with jetlag.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We are being more aggressive which would lead to bigger plays.  The alternative would be playing it safe, a read react defense like Frazier. 

We also probably are tops in the league in negative stops 

If you tell me we are going to give up big plays but we effect the QB consistently, get sacks, turnovers and holding teams to 16 ppg per game....I will 100% take it.

Our 3rd down defense is 13th right now but it was top 5 prior to the Jags game.  The Jags offense would have continued to suck if we were at least semi healthy.

That number will go back down and I should be top 10 by the end of the year.

Yes this is the optimistic take

however...I am not sure we can rely on turnovers to remain stable, there is a significant luck factor to them

the sacks and QB pressures should be reliable, but the turnovers inform ppg so if they trend toward average ppg will likely increase

not discounting injuries as a factor but those guys aren't coming back anytime soon and again I believe the defense was pretty overrated coming into Jags, they just proved it

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.