Sleep apnea

Joe Ferguson forever

I’ve got it. Recently discovered. And I chose a nasal “pillow” mask- my ass!  Every time I open my mouth, there’s a loud and enwaking rush of air. Must be some CPAP folks here. What mask next?  My sister in law said I looked like the guy from “silence of the Lambs” in the pillow one….

6 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

I’ve got it. Recently discovered. And I chose a nasal “pillow” mask- my ass!  Every time I open my mouth, there’s a loud and enwaking rush of air. Must be some CPAP folks here. What mask next?  My sister in law said I looked like the guy from “silence of the Lambs” in the pillow one….

I have a ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset. 

It’s the full mask, which I’m guessing is what you’re calling a “pillow.”

I have no problems with it at all - other than it’s a minor pain in the ass to travel with. 

I find mine to be incredibly quiet. 

But I am not a light sleeper. 

If you’re an open-mouth sleeper, there is no getting around a full mask. 

The only other option that I know of is Inspire, which requires surgery to install into your body. 

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 1

do you know what your level of severity of the apnea is, (mild, moderate, severe)?    if it's more on the mild to moderate side, you may be able to wear an appliance as opposed to a cpap.  i know a couple of people who have the inspire like gug mentioned, but i think you have to go through a number of steps before it's covered.  i think they have to see that you've used the cpap with no improvement, but i could be wrong on that.

Jff (red), Lose some weight. Couple of years ado, would be waking up every hour. Especially during hay fever season (now). Now I make sure I take a ned religiously ( Walgreens version of Allegra. Also lost about 20 lbs in the last year. Now go to bed at 12-1, wake to pee at 3-4 and then get up t 7-8.  I expect the pit stop at 3-4 as I am retired. 

Also you say you are a retired doc, why are you asking us? you must know some ENTs that have more knowledge than we do.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

i just saw someone we made an appliance for as a follow up, and he let me know that he woke up 10 minutes before his alarm refreshed.  he was also told his apnea was too severe to use anything but a cpap.  i don't think the appliances take the place of the cpap, but it's a nice alternative to not wearing anything.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, teef said:

do you know what your level of severity of the apnea is, (mild, moderate, severe)?    if it's more on the mild to moderate side, you may be able to wear an appliance as opposed to a cpap.  i know a couple of people who have the inspire like gug mentioned, but i think you have to go through a number of steps before it's covered.  i think they have to see that you've used the cpap with no improvement, but i could be wrong on that.

I have mild sleep apnea.  I discussed both the inspire and the appliance with the sleep doc.  Decided to try the CPAP.  The nasal pillow is just a small soft plastic air reservoir with nasal prongs.  Was the least bulky of the masks I was shown.  Now, if I want to do the appliance, I'd have to pay 100% for it.  So I  Guess I'm going with the full mask next.  I get 1 free alternative mask.  Just wondering if there was a design that people especially liked.  I like the hose attaching to the back of the head so that might limit the choices.  After reading up, CPAP compliance is only 30-60%.  Inspire involves an electrode to a major nerve and the diaphragm.  Think I'll pass for now...

4 hours ago, Wacka said:

Jff (red), Lose some weight. Couple of years ado, would be waking up every hour. Especially during hay fever season (now). Now I make sure I take a ned religiously ( Walgreens version of Allegra. Also lost about 20 lbs in the last year. Now go to bed at 12-1, wake to pee at 3-4 and then get up t 7-8.  I expect the pit stop at 3-4 as I am retired. 

Also you say you are a retired doc, why are you asking us? you must know some ENTs that have more knowledge than we do.

Yes, I'm working on weight loss too.  But the tiredness slows me down a bit.  Not seeing an ENT but a pulmonologist.  btw, most but not all pts are overweight.  My BMI is 28 so I am.  Mask choices seem pretty random and unscientific.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

i have used a cpap for years, best thing i ever did.  My sleep doctor is getting me in to a phase 3 double blind trial for a new medication that has potentially positive results.  I start the trial next week, really looking forward to seeing how it plays out, but with my luck, i'll probably get the placebo

• Like (+1) 2

I have mild sleep apnea and I sleep with a breath right nose strip every night.  It has helped tremendously and I feel much better.  I was tired a lot before.

I can't do the mouth guard or CPAP...it's just too uncomfortable.  

Try the nose strips.

I get extra strength because I'm a tough guy.

https://www.amazon.com/Breathe-Right-Strips-Snoring-Drug-Free/dp/B002GU5YCG/ref=pd_lpo_sccl_1/140-4953164-2321232?pd_rd_w=fuZ6g&content-id=amzn1.sym.116f529c-aa4d-4763-b2b6-4d614ec7dc00&pf_rd_p=116f529c-aa4d-4763-b2b6-4d614ec7dc00&pf_rd_r=TV20NGAX3XFNXYABTR8E&pd_rd_wg=nkTAJ&pd_rd_r=f8140a6b-5ede-4270-a43e-7a0f5f410556&pd_rd_i=B002GU5YCG&psc=1

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

I have mild sleep apnea.  I discussed both the inspire and the appliance with the sleep doc.  Decided to try the CPAP.  The nasal pillow is just a small soft plastic air reservoir with nasal prongs.  Was the least bulky of the masks I was shown.  Now, if I want to do the appliance, I'd have to pay 100% for it.  So I  Guess I'm going with the full mask next.  I get 1 free alternative mask.  Just wondering if there was a design that people especially liked.  I like the hose attaching to the back of the head so that might limit the choices.  After reading up, CPAP compliance is only 30-60%.  Inspire involves an electrode to a major nerve and the diaphragm.  Think I'll pass for now...

the nasal cannula which is sounds like you're using now tends to be the most comfortable for patients.  i'm not sure how much you'll love the full mask.   i've heard they're harder to sleep with and may require a special pillow depending how you sleep.  

are you sure you'd have to pay for the appliance?  i know the machines can monitor use, so i thought if the patient had trouble, medical may pay for the alternative.  my insurance person is out for the rest of the week, but i can ask.  we have a lot that we make pushed through medical as long as there's a current sleep study, and as far as i know, this is with people who have tried the cpap.

the devices are great for mild apnea.  nothing on your face and you have full mobility at night.  very comfortable and easy to make.  

i prefer the dream TAPS, but there are a number of choices with various costs.   https://tapintosleep.com/products/tap-custom/

I think the ones i make are $500-600.  Not cheap, but if there's no other alternative, they work well.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

I have it and I use the nose "pillows". As Gugny said, if you're an open-mouth sleeper, the pillows don't work. I used to be an open-mouth sleeper, but there was no way I was going full mask. So I trained myself to keep my dang mouth shut. 

This is exactly me. I couldn’t stand the full mask and went to the nose pillows. It was the least awful option I could come up with. Just keep your mouth shut. 

I admit that I used to snore VERY badly. I would wake myself up at times. My wife would storm out in the middle of the night. On the CPAP that subsided, but I could only stand to wear it about 4 hours/night. Wife is early to bed and early to rise, so if I stayed up to about 1am, I could wear it until she got up about 5am. 

Now? IDK, but something has changed. I’ve lost some weight and learned to not sleep on my back much, and I just don’t snore the way I used to. Maybe I don’t drink as much as I used to as well?  🤷‍♂️  Alcohol feeds snoring!

When we fly I HATE having an extra bag to take, but the wife insists. We went to Europe in the spring and I took it. There was no second hotel room in case I snored. I wore it as much as I could early on, but soon realized if I didn’t have it on I was getting no complaints. I haven’t worn it since. 

Oh, and if you are going to take a sleep study to get approved for insurance, I highly suggest you consume more than a doctors approved amount of alcohol that evening. I had VERY IMPRESSIVE sleep study results from my home test! 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Augie said:

This is exactly me. I couldn’t stand the full mask and went to the nose pillows. It was the least awful option I could come up with. Just keep your mouth shut. 

I admit that I used to snore VERY badly. I would wake myself up at times. My wife would storm out in the middle of the night. On the CPAP that subsided, but I could only stand to wear it about 4 hours/night. Wife is early to bed and early to rise, so if I stayed up to about 1am, I could wear it until she got up about 5am. 

Now? IDK, but something has changed. I’ve lost some weight and learned to not sleep on my back much, and I just don’t snore the way I used to. Maybe I don’t drink as much as I used to as well?  🤷‍♂️  Alcohol feeds snoring!

When we fly I HATE having an extra bag to take, but the wife insists. We went to Europe in the spring and I took it. There was no second hotel room in case I snored. I wore it as much as I could early on, but soon realized if I didn’t have it on I was getting no complaints. I haven’t worn it since. 

Oh, and if you are going to take a sleep study to get approved for insurance, I highly suggest you consume more than a doctors approved amount of alcohol that evening. I had VERY IMPRESSIVE sleep study results from my home test! 

Yeah, I rarely have the headgear on all night. I usually wake up in the middle of the night with the gear laying next to me. And sometimes I don't wear it at all. Particularly when I'm not very tired as it sometimes keeps me awake. 

1 hour ago, teef said:

the nasal cannula which is sounds like you're using now tends to be the most comfortable for patients.  i'm not sure how much you'll love the full mask.   i've heard they're harder to sleep with and may require a special pillow depending how you sleep.  

are you sure you'd have to pay for the appliance?  i know the machines can monitor use, so i thought if the patient had trouble, medical may pay for the alternative.  my insurance person is out for the rest of the week, but i can ask.  we have a lot that we make pushed through medical as long as there's a current sleep study, and as far as i know, this is with people who have tried the cpap.

the devices are great for mild apnea.  nothing on your face and you have full mobility at night.  very comfortable and easy to make.  

i prefer the dream TAPS, but there are a number of choices with various costs.   https://tapintosleep.com/products/tap-custom/

I think the ones i make are $500-600.  Not cheap, but if there's no other alternative, they work well.  

The NP who works in the sleep lab told me she checked with my insurer and they will pay for either cpap or appliance but not both.  Still, If I can't tolerate the full mask, I'll try it.  Probably the nasal strips first but I don't think my nose is the problem.  the appliance works  by pulling the mandible forward right?  Is that unomfortable to most folks?  Finally, I could get a chin strap for the nasal pillow....they're not requiring that mask back.

25 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

The NP who works in the sleep lab told me she checked with my insurer and they will pay for either cpap or appliance but not both.  Still, If I can't tolerate the full mask, I'll try it.  Probably the nasal strips first but I don't think my nose is the problem.  the appliance works  by pulling the mandible forward right?  Is that unomfortable to most folks?  Finally, I could get a chin strap for the nasal pillow....they're not requiring that mask back.

A buddy of mine LOVES his CPAP, even for quick naps. FAR different from me. But he did turn me on to these red chin straps that go over your head to help keep your mouth closed. That really seemed to help and it was far less annoying than the CPAP. It was a nice supplement. 

I’m not sure what the bold is about. I had the nasal pillows with a stretchy head gear, PLUS a separate chin strap. The head gear for the nasal pillows was enough to hold it in place for the most part. The chin strap was to help keep my mouth closed. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

Had it. Quit drinking. Don’t have it anymore.

I think this is mainly driven by the fact that I drinking was a lot and heavy DIPAs, and since quitting (haven’t had a drop in over two years) I dropped 60 lbs. I don’t know if weight is an issue for you, but my quality of sleep is insanely better since I quit the booze and lost weight. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

18 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

You chose the right mask. Any mask you choose will have the open mouth wind tunnel effect.

The alternatives to the pillow mask are those full over the nose masks, which are cumbersome and make you look like a spastic fighter pilot---and you will still get the mouth wind tunnel effect.

For what it's worth: they make a chin-strap type thingy that keeps your mouth closed. Me? I just learned to sleep with my mouth closed.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, boater said:

You chose the right mask. Any mask you choose will have the open mouth wind tunnel effect.

The alternatives to the pillow mask are those full over the nose masks, which are cumbersome and make you look like a spastic fighter pilot---and you will still get the mouth wind tunnel effect.

For what it's worth: they make a chin-strap type thingy that keeps your mouth closed. Me? I just learned to sleep with my mouth closed.

Was Gorilla Glue involved?    😋

The strap helps, sleeping in another bedroom solves everything. Going back to that old thread, I do that some….and it works for us. To each their own. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, teef said:

I might just be lucky, but the full mask has never been uncomfortable to sleep with for me. 

I lay on my side most of the night and have never been woken up by discomfort. 

The only issue I have is when the Velcro gets a little weak, or if the straps loosen. 

When that happens, if I hit the right angle, it makes a loud “raspberry” sound, which does wake me up (and my girlfriend). But I just tighten the straps and readjust my mask and back to sleep I go. 

My biggest concern was the tube that goes from the machine to the mask. 

Again … never a problem, which has been a pleasant surprise. 

I’m going on 3 years with the pap, and I’m very happy with it. 

• Like (+1) 4

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2023 at 12:08 PM, The Poojer said:

i have used a cpap for years, best thing i ever did.  My sleep doctor is getting me in to a phase 3 double blind trial for a new medication that has potentially positive results.  I start the trial next week, really looking forward to seeing how it plays out, but with my luck, i'll probably get the placebo

How's the med trial going? 

On 9/14/2023 at 8:20 PM, Gugny said:

The only issue I have is when the Velcro gets a little weak, or if the straps loosen

When that happens, if I hit the right angle, it makes a loud “raspberry” sound, which does wake me up (and my girlfriend). But I just tighten the straps and readjust my mask and back to sleep I go. 

I've been having the same issue. Wondering if anyone has found headgear that uses a buckle instead of velcro.  I've tried searching online, but no luck.  I'd rather not have to keep replacing headgear so often.  I have used safety pins to keep it secured, but wanted something that is easier to adjust in the middle of the night.  

10 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I've been having the same issue. Wondering if anyone has found headgear that uses a buckle instead of velcro.  I've tried searching online, but no luck.  I'd rather not have to keep replacing headgear so often.  I have used safety pins to keep it secured, but wanted something that is easier to adjust in the middle of the night.  

I’m gonna look into this. Buckles would be great. 

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

I’m gonna look into this. Buckles would be great. 

So this women told me she had laser surgery by an NP to the back of her throat...asked around and heard it was 50% successful, in the best hands.  Stories of misery for 6 mos.  anyone experience good or bad? Tried 3 masks and a hood now.  I'm thinking weight loss would be better and easier at this point.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

Jack, the study lead called me when i was on vacation a couple of weeks to let me know that all my results came back from the pre-screen and it showed I was "too healthy" and didn't qualify to move forward.  I suppose that is good news, but my SA is pretty severe, or at least it was 11 years ago.  Oh well.  I guess i will have to wait for it to hit the market.  Thanks for asking

14 hours ago, Just Jack said:

13 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

So this women told me she had laser surgery by an NP to the back of her throat...asked around and heard it was 50% successful, in the best hands.  Stories of misery for 6 mos.  anyone experience good or bad? Tried 3 masks and a hood now.  I'm thinking weight loss would be better and easier at this point.

I must say, I think my weight loss had a lot to do with my reduction in snoring. There are obviously a lot of variables, but I think that was a biggie.  It wasn’t a ton of weight, maybe 10 pounds, but it seemed to make a difference. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I am having a procedure where they are burning back some tissue opening up more of an air way.

The only other thing is full rhinoplasty surgery to keep my nostrils from collapsing when I breath in. 

UPPP?

As for the nostrils, tried breathe right strips?

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.