Rough season opening losses— are we snake bit?

Miyagi-Do Karate

Is it just me, or do we have a disproportionate number of opening season heartbreakers? I am not talking just losses; I mean buzzer-beater type losses.

to name a few:

1) 2002: also lost on the last play of the game to the jets. Chad Morton 100 yard KO return in OT.

2) 2004: lost on last play of the game against Jags— big 4th and long conversion, and then Ernest wildfire catches the GW TD with a few seconds left on a force-out call.

3) 2007: Broncos win on GW FG, where Jason Elam ran onto the field to kick it and the announcers were screaming there wasn’t going to be enough time left.

4) 2009: McKelvin fumble in the last minute on a KO return, which led to patriots 1-point victory.

5) 2013: patriots kick GW FG with 4 seconds left to win by 2 points

6) 2023: jets punt return in OT to win it.

These are just ones in my recent memory. I suspect there are even more….

Do we still lose if Wilson doesn't make e an amazing catch? I doubt it but who knows. I physically throw up after the game. Yet today it's more clear to me that we lost to a good defense in the Jets much like last year. Yet last year we also went 13-2 against the rest of the league. I'm upset but the sky isn't falling yet.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There is no balance.  

It's a weird thing about the Bills. And it's not just opening day.  Most fans around the league can name some of the more prominent ones.

But there is a very short list of corresponding flukey/weird endings that went the Bills' way.  It's just disproportionate. I'd be okay losing the occasional heartbreaker, if we also won 1 or 2 along the way.  The vast majority of time, we're on the losing end of these kinds of games.

• Agree 1

Not just opening season heartbreakers, how about games that are memorable for the entire country, and they always end in Buffalo losses?!?  

Just in the last couple years, everyone will remember the game when Aaron Rodgers with all the build up had a 4 play season.  And we Lost!  Last season the Minnesota game was voted the game of the year, so many chances to win and we Lost!  The KC 13 second game was legendary, and we Lost!

There are plenty more over the years.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I think you can remove "season opening" from the thread title.

23 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Disproportionate amount of weird losses period

I mean who loses on a walk off punt return lol

I mean, I am only talking about season openers. No doubt we have had a lot of other bad losses too. But this is such a high number to lose this way on the first week of the season. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.