Terry Pegula is ALLEGED to have said something very foul in the Jim Trotter lawsuit against the NFL

Roundybout

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

before they let you go, did they come to you and ask if you would be a team player by limiting the things you say in public about the company?

I’m getting a pretty good idea of which criteria of theirs you did not meet to be hired full time….

And if that was one of the criteria, I was on a TEMP contract for 3 years. They could have let me go at any time they wanted. They chose to hold on to me until the very end and then let me and other people go with no explanation of any kind. Don't you think the fact that I was never a permanent employee would have made it a lot easier for them let go of me sooner if they had some sort of issue with how I "talk about the company in public"? You're grasping at straws

Edited by Buffalo03

4 hours ago, Just in Atlanta said:

As for the quote thing, that was my thought as well. I've never heard anyone say that before, except in a Public Enemy album. 

But then again, I was called a "honkey" recently. Thought that word retired in the 70s. What a weird thing to call someone. 

It’s just an odd thing to say, much less in a work conference with 40 other people, by a quiet guy to begin with. “Go back to Africa!” 

It just sounds insane to me. I would literally need to hear multiple people corroborating it and maybe audio proof before I believe freaking shy Terry Pegula told a black guy to go back to Africa in front of dozens of powerful NFL people. 

Its more believable that someone messed up in the head misheard Pegula mumble something and played telephone with this reporter who is now aiming for a desperate money grab. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Peter said:

Do you understand how contracts work?

He had one for a period of time. He did not have one after that period of time. During the latter period of time, he and I both do not have a contract with the NFL Network. Just because he had one at one time, does not mean that the NFL was under any obligation to give him or me a contract after his expired.

Yes and if they don't offer you a new contract, you're essentially fired/laid off/whatever you want to call it.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He alleges they decided not to resign him only after asking him if he was in alignment with the NFL.  His agent is listed as the person the VP told the reassurance about his renewal previously.  

Certainly doesn’t sound like it just dawned them that they didn’t want him anymore…or that they secretly hated him and were just messing with him when they initially told him not to worry.  That makes zero sense. 

it’s clear you don’t understand that

He said he wasn't on board with the NFL.  That right there is why his contract wasn't renewed.

Edited by Doc

6 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

What? Why? This would be like saying that a guy that's falsely accused of sexual assault or rape should just apologize and admit guilt anyway for all the women that do get sexually assaulted and raped. It's stupid lol

Not admit, guilt, I didn’t say that

I said address the team

There are a lot of personalities in that locker room. Do you really want the owner to not address this with his black players?

Recipe for disaster in my opinion, hold it in house. Nobody needs to know about it except for the team.

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

What!?  No one has mentioned this above.

2 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

It’s just an odd thing to say, much less in a work conference with 40 other people, by a quiet guy to begin with. “Go back to Africa!” 

It just sounds insane to me. I would literally need to hear multiple people corroborating it and maybe audio proof before I believe freaking shy Terry Pegula told a black guy to go back to Africa in front of dozens of powerful NFL people. 

Its more believable that someone messed up in the head misheard Pegula mumble something and played telephone with this reporter who is now aiming for a desperate money grab. 

It's been said serval dozen times, Trotter's law suit reads like a statement of fact. But then the fine print actually says that 40 people heard it on a Zoom call from another reporter... on a Zoom call that Pegula was never on... 

So Trotter never heard Terry say anything, and is claiming that because the NFL never interviewed him about what he never heard Terry say that it is somehow proof that the NFL is protecting racist owners. 

I'm imagining how Trotter thinks that interview should have gone. 

NFL: Mr. Trotter, on the night in question what time did you arrive to dinner with Mr. Pegula 

Trotter: I've never had dinner with Mr. Pegula 

NFL: So you weren't in the room when the remarks you say Mr. Pegula uttered were supposedly made? 

Trotter: why does that matter? He's racist. 

NFL: How do you know that?

Trotter: because he said racist remarks at a dinner.

NFL: how could you know that, you weren't at the dinner?

Trotter: because he's racist. 

NFL: And how do you know that?

Trotter: because he made racist remarks at dinner... 

NFL: the dinner you were never at. Got it, I think we are done here.

Trotter: so you're just sweeping this under the rug huh? See, I told you you were all racist! 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

What!?  No one has mentioned this above.

Here’s an excerpt, “ Trotter did "not hear the alleged Pegula remark firsthand" but "reported the account of someone else who did.". 

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2023/09/13/jim-trotter-nfl-lawsuit-terry-pegula-refutes-allegations#:~:text=Racism has no place in,comment when another NFL Media

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Not admit, guilt, I didn’t say that

I said address the team

There are a lot of personalities in that locker room. Do you really want the owner to not address this with his black players?

Recipe for disaster in my opinion, hold it in house. Nobody needs to know about it except for the team.

I wouldn't apologize. I would just simply say to them that the allegations aren't true and go about business 

8 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I wouldn't apologize. I would just simply say to them that the allegations aren't true and go about business 

He made a public statement vehemently deying that he said what is alleged.  The black team leaders know Terry from their relationship with him and can bring it up to him in private if they want.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Doc said:

Yes and if they don't offer you a new contract, you're essentially fired/laid off/whatever you want to call it.

He said he wasn't on board with the NFL.  That right there is why his contract wasn't renewed.

That's the basis of his suit.  You've stumbled onto it.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, chongli said:

Not sure if posted:

This is what is up for debate in court. Not whether Terry said it,  but whether they did their due diligence. 

I am not sure they did. I’m also not sure they didn’t. Goodell’s statements don’t help clear the air and I don’t believe Ed Kilgore knows what the league did and didn’t do in 2020. 

Terry has said something’s in direct contradiction to Trump. But also hosted him here in Buffalo. 

This whole thing feels like a very tangled mess at every corner. 

Edited by Mango
Autocorrect
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Hell hath no fury like a former sportswriter offered an inferior brunch buffet table...🤔 (at least in Jerry's estimation)

LMAO 

[For those unfamiliar, here are his tweets:]

Edited by chongli
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/13/2023 at 1:16 AM, cle23 said:

Evidence is a poor choice of words.  You dismiss the report and says you see zero chance of it happening, yet you have no information to back that up except pure speculation.  I am not even claiming he did say it, but there was a report filed on one end very soon after the zoom call, it was followed up weekly for months to 2 separate individuals, and then it was promptly ignored.  People don't typically file complaints and put that much effort into it for it to be purely phony. 

It was reported that there was an investigation by the NFL into the claim. They talked to everyone at the dinner and nobody remembered him saying that.

https://x.com/kfitz134/status/1701645969090081021?s=61&t=mvFwLU5P2NuqNnOmVpYtwg

Also, the person who filed this complaint and was continually following up on it (Trotter) was not the same person who supposedly heads Pegula say this. He filed his complaint based on 2nd hand info. So his persistence doesn’t mean much as far as whether Pegula said it or not.

edit: from the article:

A league source told The Buffalo News that the alleged comment was thoroughly investigated, including interviews with Terry and his wife and co-owner, Kim Pegula – who both denied the statement – and every other person at the dinner where this conversation purportedly took place.

The investigation took place shortly after the comment was brought to the league’s attention, and no one else from the dinner recalled the statement being made, according to this source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The dinner took place in 2018 and no one complained about the purported racist remark until the 2020 NFL Media video call, the source said.

so the comment was supposedly made in 2018, and the reporter  brought it up on a zoom call in 2020.

🤷‍♂️

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

It was reported that there was an investigation by the NFL into the claim. They talked to everyone at the dinner and nobody remembered him saying that.

Also, the person who filed this complaint and was continually following up on it (Trotter) was not the same person who supposedly heads Pegula say this. He filed his complaint based on 2nd hand info. So his persistence doesn’t mean much as far as whether Pegula said it or not. 

Then Trotter’s claim is bunk.  Does Terry sue or leave it alone?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

edit: from the article:

so the comment was supposedly made in 2018, and the reporter  brought it up on a zoom call in 2020.

🤷‍♂️

Wow, so Trotter was demanding that the NFL investigate something he heard second hand two years after it allegedly happened? 

Can you imagine waking into your boss's office, or the HR office and saying "I heard from Bob that two years ago John said something that I find highly offense. You must investigate, and if you don't  interview me for proof that it happened that means you're complicit!"

The law suit also says that Trotter immediately demanded action be taken, and that he demanded action every week for months. 

So Trotter personally  convicted Pegula, two years after the fact, based the word of a third party. And then demanded a punishment be dished out every week. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 3

Unless there is a recording that proves Pegula said this, I think the appropriate take on this is one of skepticism.  I don't like racism, but I don't think we want to live in a society where someone makes an accusation, and with no other evidence or corroboration a person's life is destroyed because of it.  I don't know who this Trotter guy is, but he's going to have to come up with more than his word for me to think it's any thing more than his own vendetta against a group of owners for whatever reason.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If 40 other people (the 39 other listeners on the call and the person speaking on the call) aren’t corroborating Trotter’s claims, at best it’s a misremembering of what was said and at worst an inexcusable lie.  Unless it’s all a big conspiracy. So unless anybody comes forward corroborating his claim, this issue was pretty much dead.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Doc said:

I read it.  I boiled it down to its essence.  The NFL doesn't have to wait until he's on board with them.

You misread it then.

He was asked, in essence,  to not discuss publicly how the NFL is handling matters of race (he's a black reporter, to remind you).  This is several years after he voiced his initial concerns and, he claims, nothing was done.  He said he would not stop asking the questions.  That alone is why they didn't renew.  So he sued them.  Whether the suit has merit is for others to decide, not you and I.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

If 40 other people (the 39 other listeners on the call and the person speaking on the call) aren’t corroborating Trotter’s claims, at best it’s a misremembering of what was said and at worst an inexcusable lie.  Unless it’s all a big conspiracy. So unless anybody comes forward corroborating his claim, this issue was pretty much dead.

lol there you go!

What is this conspiracy?

9 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Wow, so Trotter was demanding that the NFL investigate something he heard second hand two years after it allegedly happened

Can you imagine waking into your boss's office, or the HR office and saying "I heard from Bob that two years ago John said something that I find highly offense. You must investigate, and if you don't  interview me for proof that it happened that means you're complicit!"

The law suit also says that Trotter immediately demanded action be taken, and that he demanded action every week for months. 

So Trotter personally  convicted Pegula, two years after the fact, based the word of a third party. And then demanded a punishment be dished out every week. 

He asked them 2 years ago.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You misread it then.

He was asked, in essence,  to not discuss publicly how the NFL is handling matters of race (he's a black reporter, to remind you).  This is several years after he voiced his initial concerns and, he claims, nothing was done.  He said he would not stop asking the questions.  That alone is why they didn't renew.  So he sued them.  Whether the suit has merit is for others to decide, not you and I.

lol there you go!

What is this conspiracy?

Did you see the "unless it's all..." part?  There is none.  Again if 40 other people aren't corroborating Trotter's claim about Terry...

And obviously we don't get to decide it, but we certainly do get to talk about it.  Again if his answer (to the same person he claims assured him he would get a new contract) is essentially "I'm not on board with the NFL until they increase the number of black decision-makers" then he's not with them and they won't know when he will be.  And publicly calling out your employer is never a good idea if you want to be retained.  So they didn't renew his contract and at the same time laid off other people who had been there even longer and who were white.  That's not racism.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Doc said:

Did you see the "unless it's all..." part?  There is none.  Again if 40 other people aren't corroborating Trotter's claim about Terry...

And obviously we don't get to decide it, but we certainly do get to talk about it.  Again if his answer (to the same person he claims assured him he would get a new contract) is essentially "I'm not on board with the NFL until they increase the number of black decision-makers" then he's not with them and they won't know when he will be.  And publicly calling out your employer is never a good idea if you want to be retained.  So they didn't renew his contract and at the same time laid off other people who had been there even longer and who were white.  That's not racism.

I know you people love your conspiracies---just answer the question.

And another: Did they ask the white guys if they were "on board with the NFL" on any matters?  

• Eyeroll 2

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You misread it then.

lol there you go!

What is this conspiracy?

He asked them 2 years ago.

No, Trotter asked the NFL to investigate 3 years ago, in 2020.  The alleged remarks occured 5 years ago, in 2018. 

So to be clear, in 2020 Trotter heard a reporter claim that Terry said those things two years earlier, in 2018. 

Again, imagine walking into your HR office today, in 2023, and demanding that they investigate an executive at your company because one of your co-workers told you they said something racist in 2021. 

And then every week for months demanding to know what punishment was administered. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I know you people love your conspiracies---just answer the question.

And another: Did they ask the white guys if they were "on board with the NFL" on any matters?  

Everyone loves their conspiracies, when it suits them.  And I did answer the question.  There's no conspiracy.  Trotter either lied or misremembered.  I just left an out for those who might say "the NFL swept it under the rug."

Good question.  How many of the white "guys" are suing the NFL?

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Everyone loves their conspiracies, when it suits them.  And I did answer the question.  There's no conspiracy.  Trotter either lied or misremembered.  I just left an out for those who might say "the NFL swept it under the rug."

Good question.  How many of the white "guys" are suing the NFL?

Trotter is basing his allegations on someone else who may be lying or misremembering. And he has no way of knowing for sure. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Who cares about what the people who were there remember, there are accusations of racism afoot! We must execute those who have been labeled as guilty, and congratulate those who ferreted out this despicable act, even if the only place this evil occurred was in the recesses of their own mind!

Seriously though, people who believe accusations without evidence are fighting against justice with the distorted view of being "good people". It is like they have no idea WHY the idea of innocent til proven guilty was implemented, and the results are... tragic.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Dancing Fool said:

Who cares about what the people who were there remember, there are accusations of racism afoot! We must execute those who have been labeled as guilty, and congratulate those who ferreted out this despicable act, even if the only place this evil occurred was in the recesses of their own mind!

Seriously though, people who believe accusations without evidence are fighting against justice with the distorted view of being "good people". It is like they have no idea WHY the idea of innocent til proven guilty was implemented, and the results are... tragic.

This is a bit silly.

What tragic results have afflicted Terry Pegula due to this situation? 

3 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

This is a bit silly.

What tragic results have afflicted Terry Pegula due to this situation? 

Did I claim that any tragic results have afflicted Terry?

I just said that people who wholeheartedly believe accusations that are backed by nothing are not acting in a way that reflects justice. If you disagree with me argue with what I have said.

*Edit*

Whoops, I see now. I mean the impact on a larger scale, not this specific event. My mistake, poor wording on my part! I will leave my original reply just cuz.

My apologies, I could have worded that better.

Edited by Dancing Fool
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dancing Fool said:

Did I claim that any tragic results have afflicted Terry?

I just said that people who wholeheartedly believe accusations that are backed by nothing are not acting in a way that reflects justice. If you disagree with me argue with what I have said.

The accusation isn't Terry said these words and you are misinterpreting the lawsuit.

The accusation is the NFL failed to properly investigate the scenario, which is backed up by the evidence that neither Trotter who reported the conduct to the NFL nor the reporter who claimed to have heard this first-hand from Terry at the dinner were interviewed in the subsequent NFL investigation. 

Although I will admit, the way this has been misreported and misrepresented from the start from the media has ruined any chance for a rational discussion on the actual lawsuit.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, WEATHER DOT COM said:

The accusation isn't Terry said these words and you are misinterpreting the lawsuit.

The accusation is the NFL failed to properly investigate the scenario, which is backed up by the evidence that neither Trotter who reported the conduct to the NFL nor the reporter who claimed to have heard this first-hand from Terry at the dinner were interviewed in the subsequent NFL investigation. 

I am not talking about the lawsuit so much as people's opinions of the events at hand. The responses throughout the early part of this thread have been largely centered around Terry's behavior, not the lack of attention by the NFL. I will admit that I have not read the most recent past few pages, so if the conversation has shifted after the first 20 pages in the thread I apologize once again.

None of my opinions expressed change based on this new information.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.