Not all penalty calls are created equal

Chaos

Three key plays last night helped determine the outcome.   

1. The PI Call on Diggs - almost no PI calls during the game, and in the final drive in regulation where a TD would have won the games for the Bills, Diggs is called for OPI, when both players seemed to be pretty handsy on the play. 
  2. Spencer Brown false start in Overtime.   It was a false start.  But certain teams don't have this called a false start in prime time games.  I will chalk that up to different crews.  But this set up the brilliant 2nd and 15 draw call. 
  3. Missed leg whip on the punt return.  Jets likely would have gotten into field goal position, but it would have been nice to see them pushed back for the leg whip, and have it play out. 

The Bills did enough to lose the game on their own.  But these did not help. Probably brain fog.  But I also don't remember many penalties at critical junctures that helped the Bills. 
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 2

Not sure how people will react to this lol but I completely agree.  Sauce is the new household name corner that gets away with everything which is to be expected, but don’t call an opi on a receiver for fighting back 

definitely deserved to lose anyway and we still could’ve lost if all those calls went our way though 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

1. The PI Call on Diggs - almost no PI calls during the game, and in the final drive in regulation where a TD would have won the games for the Bills, Diggs is called for OPI, when both players seemed to be pretty handsy on the play. 
  2. Spencer Brown false start in Overtime.   It was a false start.  But certain teams don't have this called a false start in prime time games.  I will chalk that up to different crews.  But this set up the brilliant 2nd and 15 draw call. 
  3. Missed leg whip on the punt return.  Jets likely would have gotten into field goal position, but it would have been nice to see them pushed back for the leg whip, and have it play out. 

The Bills did enough to lose the game on their own.  But these did not help. Probably brain fog.  But I also don't remember many penalties at critical junctures that helped the Bills. 

The OPI call was laughable in that spot. 

False starts are presnap so not much to do. The leg whip wouldn’t have mattered.

Thought it was a well called game for the most part.

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Not sure how people will react to this lol but I completely agree.  Sauce is the new household name corner that gets away with everything which is to be expected, but don’t call an opi on a receiver for fighting back 

definitely deserved to lose anyway and we still could’ve lost if all those calls went our way though 

I emphasided the word "helped" in the OP, because it definitely was not the prime reason.  Thank you for having the reading comprehension skills to understand the difference.  Many posters do not have strong reading comprehension skills.

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

False starts are presnap so not much to do. The leg whip wouldn’t have mattered.

I agree for 96% of the plays, the officiating was good. But as any Saints fan can tell you, it only takes one bad mistake to alter the game.  I think the PI  call did likely alter the game. 

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

How would the leg whip not have mattered? I don’t remember the exact yard line that it occurred on but it’s a 15 yarder I’m pretty sure.  So even if it happened on the 30 that is far from a guaranteed fg if the bills stop them 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I emphasided the word "helped" in the OP, because it definitely was not the prime reason.  Thank you for having the reading comprehension skills to understand the difference.  Many posters do not have strong reading comprehension skills.

I agree for 96% of the plays, the officiating was good. But as any Saints fan can tell you, it only takes one bad mistake to alter the game.  I think the PI  call did likely alter the game. 

Nah. 4 TO’s altered the game. Draw on 2nd and 15 in OT altered the game. Don’t wanna hear that.

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

How would the leg whip not have mattered? I don’t remember the exact yard line that it occurred on but it’s a 15 yarder I’m pretty sure.  So even if it happened on the 30 that is far from a guaranteed fg if the bills stop them 

If you watch the replay,  it's easy to see the guy didn't swing his leg.  It was an effort at a low block--certainly the way everyone here would have called it if it was the Bills game winning return.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

If you watch the replay,  it's easy to see the guy didn't swing his leg.  It was an effort at a low block--certainly the way everyone here would have called it if it was the Bills game winning return.

That may have been his intent but it was absolutely unquestionably a trip lol idk how anyone can say otherwise.  Jets more than likely still go on to win regardless though so it doesn’t mean much 

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

That may have been his intent but it was absolutely unquestionably a trip lol idk how anyone can say otherwise.  Jets more than likely still go on to win regardless though so it doesn’t mean much 

Penalties based on incidental contact i.e. DB vs WR get waived off (or not called) not infrequently.   For this reason.

"Trip" implies intent, so you can't really argue also that his intent doesn't matter.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

1. It could been called on either player, they chose Diggs. 

2. it was a false start, unless your KC you don’t get. To move early! Lol

3. I went to bed and all the replays I have seen have stunk so all I see is the guy falling in front of him and I never see the leg come up. (So no clue! I went to bed before this)

We can blame coaching all we want, but at the end of the day this was another poorly coached game, offensively in particular as well as in general.  

It doesn't say much, other than buckle up, it could be a longer season than we thought, when not only did we lose to a Zach Wilson led team, but when he didn't even prepare for the game.  He looked OK, better than he looked last season and he gave them enough big plays.  

16 points from our new-and-improved offense.  SMH  We averaged 18.5 against the same D last season without Kincaid.  

All 5 OL-men played every snap too.  

SMH 

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Re the PF leg whip: The ball would have gone back 15 yards to the 42, so it MIGHT have mattered had the Bills D made a stand, or a fumble, or a sack, or an interception. 😉

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

I think it’s pretty unlikely to alter the game if the OPI is not called.

Bills simply make a shorter field goal to send it in overtime. The way that game was going it didn’t feel like we were going to get the ball in the end zone. definitely not from 20+ yards out. Every pass Allen threw deep was a disaster  waiting to happen. definitely not from 20+ yards out.

I don’t think the bills were getting inside the 15 - 20 yard line with the amount of time left.

OPI was a good call. He extended his arms and the DB fell down. Yes many times it is a no call but that doesn't make those non calls right either.

The missed leg whip while technically a penalty and should have been called, is one of those penalties like inadvertent face mask. It had no impact on the play as the runner was already past him and whoever it was that got tripped was already falling down and it was not intentional.

Bills had a holding penalty on a run picked up and called no flag. I've never seen that before. 

It was a well officiated game. 

There were a few after the whistle moments from Brown that could have been called unsportsmanlike conduct. 

And the taunting penalty was a good call too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.