Micah Hyde back injury (Update: Hyde was working at practice today)

Buffalo_Stampede

4 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Belichik and the Patriots didn't it for years and is one of the major reasons why they dominated the AFCE (and entire league) the greater part of 20 years. Remember our old friend Lawyer Milloy?

I like Hyde and Poyer and they've been great players for this team. This is not  up for debate. But I think all the warning signs are there if you trust the local media pundits in regards to both of them looking a step slower in camp/preseason.

Lawyer Milloy played 8 more seasons after they moved on from him. They didn't move on because he was old and washed up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Coming off a neck injury and starting the season with a back injury is not a good omen. It could linger through the season. The good news is that safety is a devalued position and unlike last year we have a capable player in Rapp that can step in without much of an impact on the overall defense. It's a concern, not a death sentence.

29 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Ugghhhhh who didn't see this coming?

The truly great NFL GM's in this league know when to move on from aging veterans and it was a massive mistake bringing back all these guys, especially at their current contracts.

This is why I predict that Rapp will supplant Hyde or Poyer as starter sooner than later so I guess give Beane credit for that contingency plan.

As long as those two are healhy, they will start, especially at those salaries.

35 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Ugghhhhh who didn't see this coming?

The truly great NFL GM's in this league know when to move on from aging veterans and it was a massive mistake bringing back all these guys, especially at their current contracts.

This is why I predict that Rapp will supplant Hyde or Poyer as starter sooner than later so I guess give Beane credit for that contingency plan.

Panic much?

9 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

This is worrisome to me because last year after the Titans game Hyde suddenly had an injury and then he was done for the year when nobody seemed to even realize he was hurt. 

We need Hyde for the playoff run. 

I'm not sure how "nobody seemed to even realize he was hurt"

Dane Jackson was injured and taken off the field.  Micah Hyde was also injured and taken off the field - he only played about 2/3 of the snaps.

It was in the media after the game that Hyde had gone to the ER.  McDermott said in his presser that he'd called Nate Breske, the Bills head trainer, to find out if he should go to the hospital and was told both Jackson and Hyde were being sent home.

I think the severity (shut him down for the season) was a surprise, but the fact of the injury (which uncharacteristically had him out for 1/3 of the game) was not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

I would expect Taylor Rapp to be the first off the bench if Hyde or Poyer miss any time.

Not sure if that’s totally the case. I love the Rapp signing but his weakness is in coverage. Hyde is more of a FS and Poyer is more a SS (more involved in the run game). I think Rapp fits the Poyer role (and the big nickel) than the Hyde role. I  could be wrong though. 

20 minutes ago, JohninMinn. said:

Hamlin is a pr novelty on this team and not very good. Hyde's injury is not something we can afford.

PSA:  Hamlin started 13 games for the Bills last season, during which the Bills compiled a record of 10-3. 

I don't think he's back to where he was quite yet, but then, he took a couple games to pick up last season.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Not sure if that’s totally the case. I love the Rapp signing but his weakness is in coverage. Hyde is more of a FS and Poyer is more a SS (more involved in the run game). I think Rapp fits the Poyer role (and the big nickel) than the Hyde role. I  could be wrong though. 

Good point.  But keep in mind that Poyer and Hyde can interchange roles.  So you could see Poyer as FS and Rapp taking the SS role, with Hamlin subbing in situationally.  Or, you could see Poyer and Hamlin as the starters with Rapp subbing in situationally.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Sounds precautionary more than anything...not too worried unless more comes out suggesting its a bigger issue

Big picture it’s not a great sign as going into the season we all knew we were taking a big gamble with the age of our starting safeties. safeties that by the way, have been huge in the overall success of the defense since they arrived.

It would be one thing if they were just average safeties. It wouldn’t be as significant of a drop should their play and availability tail off.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.