Inside the NFL

Albany,n.y.

Watched the 1st episode on The CW tonight.  It's going to take some time to get used to.  Hopefully it will improve.  Too much Mahomes love, commercials breaking in in the middle of a conversation (I don't know if this was a local station issue or The CW's problem), and the worst part-NO PICK SEGMENT.  I hope they wake up & start a pick segment starting next week.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Anyone see the season preview on the NFLN last night. They all had the Bills winning the east. Most had the Chiefs winning the Super Bowl. Kurt Warner had the Eagles over the Bengals. Cynthia Frelund still loves us. She picked the Bills over the Seahawks.

I go back to This Week in Pro Football, where Pat Summerall did the NFL highlights and Charlie Jones did the AFL highlights.

With the merger in 1970, it was Summerall and Tom Brookshier doing the show.  They were a great pairing both on the highlights and in the booth for CBS.

NFL.jpg

33 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

It's never been the same since the old days with Len Dawson, Nick Buonoconti, Cris Collinsworth and Jerry Glanville. I watched it while James Brown was hosting it also bur this isn't the same. Ryan Clark? He's annoying

I remember when it was just Len and Nick. Looked forward to that show every week. 

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I remember when it was just Len and Nick. Looked forward to that show every week. 

I agree.  Len and Nick were the best.  I can't recall exactly how it all transpired, but I think it jumped the shark when Collinsworth joined the cast.  Later iterations with Collinsworth, Phil Simms and others were just OK, and the additions of Ray Lewis and Brandon Marshall (especially Brandon Marshall) made it truly unwatchable.  I'll check out the new show, but my expectations are not high.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Even though he was a former Dolphin (and Patriot) I really liked Nick because of his time on Inside the NFL.   I was sad watching the HBO documentary filmed shortly before he died and seeing how he was suffering near the end.  

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Blank Stare said:

Loved when these guys did it. Was must see TV for me. 

Absolutely. I looked forward to it every week

8 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

This was before my time. I was born in 86 so, I watched it in the 90's growing up and remember the 4 man lineup. It was a 3 man for while before Glanville but those are the days I remember 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

This show is going to be as relevant as ESPN is now 

There was a time when NFL highlight shows and round table discussions were limited to Sunday pre-game broadcasts and HBO's 'Inside the NFL'.  Other than locally produced shows it was one of the few places to see the game highlights. Remember, most home games were not even shown locally on TV, so for many, Inside the NFL was fans' first extensive look and analysis of the game.

It's no longer relevant since the volume of on-demand podcasts, DVRs, streaming radio, Youtube, team websites and video content, websites and message boards like this. Inside the NFL may be a fine show, but it's not must see TV for NFL fans that they have to pencil it in on their calendars. We used to look forward to the Thursday evening first look. Now? Meh. I'll check out my team at my convenience at preferred favorite web sites.

Edited by SoMAn
  • Agree 1

I agree..In the 90s the main NFL program was watching the pre-game shows on ESPN, NBC, CBS and Fox.  On ESPN, you would get to see the "NFL Matchup" and then at 7:30 PM EST you would get NFL Primetime.  We used to sit waiting to watch the NFL Primetime (especially fi the Bills won) before switching to Sunday Night Football.

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Gregg said:

Anyone see the season preview on the NFLN last night. They all had the Bills winning the east. Most had the Chiefs winning the Super Bowl. Kurt Warner had the Eagles over the Bengals. Cynthia Frelund still loves us. She picked the Bills over the Seahawks.

Seahawks???  Her analytics model is broken 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.