Bills-Jets week 1

Pete

• Simon pinned this topic
On 9/5/2023 at 8:36 PM, Airseven said:

Their defense, top to bottom, will be one of the best in the NFL. And that secondary allows them to bring an aggressive pass rush. Allen will have happy feet by the second drive, but hopefully he can muster a few big plays to keep it close.

LOL so now the goal for the Bills — the favorite in this game — is to “keep it close?”

Dude, get me some of what you’re smoking!

😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Lol the jets literally blitzed at the lowest rate in the league last year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/opp.htm

I’ll never understand why so many people on this board insist on flat out lying about stuff that can be proved wrong with a 60 second google search.

Who said they blitzed a lot last year? 

Alright, what do we know about the current Jets?

They had the #4 overall defense last season and that was due to a stellar defensive secondary, #3 in yards allowed, and #1 in TDs allowed. Their run defense was not so great, as in the middle of the road, 16th in yards allowed, and 14th in rushing TDs. They have Q Williams who had 11 sacks this preseason.

What we also know is that Nathanial Hackett is the Jet's new OC and he was at one time the Buffalo Bills OC under St. Doug. Mallone eventually fired him and he was the Packer's OC for a few years until becoming the HC of the Broncos. He never called the plays in Green Bay as HC Matt LaFleur called them. Hackett's stint as HC of Denver was a complete disaster as he called the offensive plays for part of the year until he handed them over to the OC.

(I do think the only reason Denver hired him was to lure QB Aaron Rodgers to Denver. That seemed to work for the Jets.)

What Hackett did best as the Bills OC was call run plays up the middle to the tune of 80% or so of the run plays. The 2013 Buffalo Bills did have the #1 offense in rushing attempts, #2 in rushing yards, and #10 in rushing TDs. Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller were the RBs, and EJ was the QB. 6-10 was their record. 

Anyway, Hackett stated that Aaron Rodgers will call his own offensive plays. I have a feeling that the Jets will try and run the ball down Bill's throats knowing that Buffalo has an undersized 2nd-year ILB that didn't play this pre-season. Buffalo had better be able to stop the run or Dalvin Cook and Breece Hall will make this a long evening for Bills fans. With McD, It might be smart to put an extra DT/DE at LBer to stop the run and force Rodgers to throw, just a thought.  

On offense, Buffalo faces a top defensive secondary that could present a ton of problems with the Bills passing offense. It just might be time for Allen to become captain check-down this game with the short passes to the TEs and Cook. That new two-TE Buffalo offensive scheme might just throw a wrench into the Jet's defensive game plan. Buffalo was last in the NFL in 2022 to run a two-tight-end offense in 2022. 

Buffalo should win this game. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

They had the #4 overall defense last season and that was due to a stellar defensive secondary, #3 in yards allowed, and #1 in TDs allowed. Their run defense was not so great, as in the middle of the road, 16th in yards allowed, and 14th in rushing TDs. They have Q Williams who had 11 sacks this preseason.

What we also know is that Nathanial Hackett is the Jet's new OC and he was at one time the Buffalo Bills OC under St. Doug. Mallone eventually fired him and he was the Packer's OC for a few years until becoming the HC of the Broncos. He never called the plays in Green Bay as HC Matt LaFleur called them. Hackett's stint as HC of Denver was a complete disaster as he called the offensive plays for part of the year until he handed them over to the OC.

(I do think the only reason Denver hired him was to lure QB Aaron Rodgers to Denver. That seemed to work for the Jets.)

What Hackett did best as the Bills OC was call run plays up the middle to the tune of 80% or so of the run plays. The 2013 Buffalo Bills did have the #1 offense in rushing attempts, #2 in rushing yards, and #10 in rushing TDs. Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller were the RBs, and EJ was the QB. 6-10 was their record. 

Anyway, Hackett stated that Aaron Rodgers will call his own offensive plays. I have a feeling that the Jets will try and run the ball down Bill's throats knowing that Buffalo has an undersized 2nd-year ILB that didn't play this pre-season. Buffalo had better be able to stop the run or Dalvin Cook and Breece Hall will make this a long evening for Bills fans. With McD, It might be smart to put an extra DT/DE at LBer to stop the run and force Rodgers to throw, just a thought.  

On offense, Buffalo faces a top defensive secondary that could present a ton of problems with the Bills passing offense. It just might be time for Allen to become captain check-down this game with the short passes to the TEs and Cook. That new two-TE Buffalo offensive scheme might just throw a wrench into the Jet's defensive game plan. Buffalo was last in the NFL in 2022 to run a two-tight-end offense in 2022. 

Attack their linebackers in the passing game that is the way, then they will have to creep down safeties which will open the whole offense, at least that's my thought.

15 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I agree with you on how the Bills offense is likely to succeed. That Jets D looks tough.

On the other hand, are you confident the Bills D can stop the Jets O? Who is going to stop Garrett Wilson? Can they stop the three headed Jets running game with consistently? Who is a reliable pass rusher? Will McD have to blitz to create pressure? Will Bernard be exposed? 

I think the Jets will ask Rodgers to make a few big plays and be a great game manager. Not sure it's enough.

I think the Bills on the road against a very hostile crowd will ask Allen to do much more. He will have to scramble and make big plays with his legs and arms. Diggs didn't do anything vs the Jets last season. Another WR is going to have to step up. The running game has to be effective. 

36 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Hackett has said publicly he is letting Rodgers call the plays?

14 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

On the other hand, are you confident the Bills D can stop the Jets O? Who is going to stop Garrett Wilson? Can they stop the three headed Jets running game with consistently? Who is a reliable pass rusher? Will McD have to blitz to create pressure? Will Bernard be exposed? 

These questions and others will be answered on the next episode of SOAP.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

He said it's only fair since Aaron brought him to the team to get his coffee.

3 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Oh please get this on the bulletin board:

"MJD, is Aaron Rodgers the best quarterback in the AFC East?"

MJD: "No question! No question!"

It's not hard to find bulletin board material this year.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The Bills play 10 games this season against these "playoff" teams.

It should be the "screensaver" on their iPads!

21 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

His Bills take isn't even the wildest thing there. Pittsburgh in the AFC CG? Green Bay winning the NFC North? If Aaron Rogers is so good that he pushes the Jets above the Bills, then how are the Packers better off without him? None of that is based upon anything except wanting to have the hottest take of all. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bills vs. Jets odds, moneyline, over/under

The Bills are favorites to defeat the Jets, according to BetMGM NFL odds. The game is among the best bets for NFL Week 1 games at top NFL betting apps.

Spread: Bills (-2.5)

Moneyline: Bills (-140); Jets (+115)

Over/under: 45.5

I dunno if this is accurate. I got it off a usatoday article.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The only thing I know for sure about this game and the entire season is that win or lose, this board is going to be an absolute SHT SHOW this year and I am HERE for it!

The BBFS, PTSD, ABCD, Chaka-khan, Chaka-Kahn is in FULL EFFECT!

I’m handing out free scripts for Valium and Prozac for everyone on this board because we are going to need it and it feels good anyway.

How can you not love this place? We’ve got it all. Guys with reasonable analysis, guys who don’t know jack, guys who can describe the texture of Mike McDaniels taint. We’ve got it all!

As Bart Scott says - CAN’T WAIT!

• Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

Nathaniel Hackett was hired this offseason to be the Jets’ offensive playcaller, but he says Aaron Rodgers will be calling plenty of plays at the line of scrimmage, and the Jets will benefit from that.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/nathaniel-hackett-says-jets-will-benefit-from-aaron-rodgers-making-calls-at-the-line#:~:text=Nathaniel Hackett was hired this,Jets will benefit from that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.