Our RT / Swing tackle situation

SydneyBillsFan

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

They seem to be sticking him at Guard, but I'm wondering if David Edwards might see some reps this week at tackle. 

It's not time to "break glass in case of emergency," but it's fair to start thinking about what blunt object to use for such an activity.  I'm fine with mixing in Edwards and/or Bates to see what it looks like.  At this point, I don't see the harm.  I also wonder if they'll explore the trade market for that position, not with the intent of making a move immediately, but to gauge the price in case there's some glass that has to be smashed. 

3 hours ago, Rockinon said:

I think they'll be picking up a tackle at cut down time. The issues were strikingly evident against the Steelers defense. Can't go into the season without a backup plan behind Brown. Maybe Brown finally proves himself, but up to now, he simply hasn't.

They need to address it sooner than cut down with the Doyle injury coupled with Shell's retirement.

I expect either today or tomorrow we will be notified that they signed an OT (that we likely never heard of) and we get a mixture of "who is this guy" and "Wow, I liked him coming out of college" responses from the peanut gallery.

1 hour ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

It was clear to me that these two teams approached the game much differently.  Steelers were running d-line stunts, multiple blitzes, and combination pass coverages.  Pretty much like you would game plan in the regular season.  Bills ran vanilla offense and simple defense.  The starters looked like they were just trying to avoid getting hurt (go back and watch Dane Jackson on the long touchdown run). The touchdown pass to Freiermuth was clearly a blown coverage. Dotson was lost in pass coverage on multiple occasions and generally looked bad.  I thought Shakir played poorly also.  On one of the interceptions, it appeared that Barkley was expecting an in cut and Shakir continued up the sideline into double coverage.  Shorter and Isabella clearly outplayed him.

There is a lot of truth here. I agree.

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

It's not time to "break glass in case of emergency," but it's fair to start thinking about what blunt object to use for such an activity.  I'm fine with mixing in Edwards and/or Bates to see what it looks like.  At this point, I don't see the harm.  I also wonder if they'll explore the trade market for that position, not with the intent of making a move immediately, but to gauge the price in case there's some glass that has to be smashed. 

GMs talk quite frequently. It's my best guess that Beane already knows what teams are good with moving an OT and a rough estimate on the price.

When you look at the big picture it may be time to break the glass. Both OTs struggled yesterday. We are now down 2 OTs in Doyle and Shell. And anyone we may look to bring in either FA or trade has to 1. Be inexpensive 2. Be able to be brought up to speed pretty fast.

Jason Peter's can still play. Last year  week (i want to say) 15 he came in 2nd half against the Texans at RT (which he hadn't played since '05 with us) and didn't miss a beat. He's got a freak knee bend still at 42. As long as he's in shape he would be an immediate swing/insurance on the line. 

Edited by akcash
  • Like (+1) 4

Should put 1 of those large refrigerator boxes in a BILLS uniform & make that our RT. At this point its scary to think how that actually could be an improvement.

It'd still be a pushover but defenders would get tripped up in it & it'd slow em down. Make it happen Beane! GO BILLS!

In all seriousness, Jason Peters should've been called before the game was over. And anyone else out there, Bueller? Bueller? Beane HAS to do SOMETHING.

Give me Brady's offensive scheme with KC's oline & Josh Allen at QB. Run a balanced offense, taking what the defense gives you & just execute plays & 1st downs. Idk why that seems so foreign when we play? Get Josh in a rhythm, get everyone some confidence. With a struggling Oline perhaps running deeper routes that take more time to develop isn't the best strategy to run as often as we do? There's so many issues with this team right now (which is scary given where we are in our "window") & i suppose time will tell which ones are real or just perceived & anything can change if you get on a roll. But the issues seem more about us & less about the team we're playing. Which is good in that we can change things & control our destiny, but its bad in that its our own fault for being in this mess too. Can Beane look at some of these decisions & accurately evaluate himself to make corrective action? Not many can, but I hope he can because he needs to & fast. GO BILLS

Not sure what options they have at RT or Swing Tackle with Doyle likely out for a while. 

1.  Call Shell and ask him to reconsider his retirement.  
2.  Will Kromer try David Edwards at RT as he played that position at Nebraska and a few games with the Rams.

3.Call Jason Peters to play RT which he did initially with BUF.  Tell him he doesn’t have to play STs this time around. 

Edited by freddyjj

Just finished watching Cover1 break down the film of O’Cyrus.. this kid is a monster and the chemistry he’s already building with Brown is awesome.

They mention plenty of fans being upset about Spencer Brown but they said the film doesn’t match the outrage, he got beat a couple times but more often than not he and OCyrus were winning their reps against a very good D front.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Brown has been fine this summer, and his traits fit better at LT anyways.

If Brown proves to be a solid OT, I can see a switch in his future. Dawkins had a rough game, but is fine otherwise. 

The TBD “group think” never ceases to amaze me. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I keep posting this, but I watched every play with Brown in it last night, focusing on him, and he was OK.  Did a good job overall against Watt.

Yeah I thought the same thing when I seen the criticism of his play so I decided to wait for some Cover1 film and sure enough, it wasn’t perfect but definitely not panic worthy and actually hopeful when seeing him and O’Cyrus working together.

14 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

To keep it short - I am very concerned about our starting RT and our OT depth.

Heck, even Dion has me a little nervous, although I am hopeful he will be above average when it matters and when he gets familiar with his new guard.

So.... am I being a worry wart or is this a genuine problem?

What’s your proposed solution? Given your level of CONCERN

39 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

I am not the GM or the head coach, hence it is not up to me to find a solution.

All any Bills fan wants is a functional O-line to protect our biggest asset. 

So because you’re not the GM, you seem content to B word without offering any sort of solution? 

Edit: I’m asking because they can only do so much in the offseason. The O guard play last year was terrible too - they brought in McGovern and drafted Torrence. 

All you [censored] expect miracles from the front office every year. It doesn’t work like that.

Edited by JoPoy88

19 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

To keep it short - I am very concerned about our starting RT and our OT depth.

Heck, even Dion has me a little nervous, although I am hopeful he will be above average when it matters and when he gets familiar with his new guard.

So.... am I being a worry wart or is this a genuine problem?

I think there is good reason to be worried at this point. If Dawkins misses time, then we are screwed. Brown isn’t very good but he’s better than Quessenberry. I do not want to see him on the field. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, julian said:

Just finished watching Cover1 break down the film of O’Cyrus.. this kid is a monster and the chemistry he’s already building with Brown is awesome.

They mention plenty of fans being upset about Spencer Brown but they said the film doesn’t match the outrage, he got beat a couple times but more often than not he and OCyrus were winning their reps against a very good D front.

Confirmation bias.  Even with some podcasters I like, you saw this come out before they watched any tape.  

One glaringly bad rep that was just awful.  OT equivalent of being posterized and took away a huge play, thus drawing more attention to it. 

A play we should be applauding, got flagged (wrongly), which led to even more criticism as we couldn’t even run a play with flags raining down. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.