Our RT / Swing tackle situation

SydneyBillsFan

I guess I’ll post this here. Anyone remember Spencer Brown’s rookie season? I mean it was only a couple years ago. We had Daryl Williams playing well at RT. He’s an above average RT and was only 28-29 years old. The talk was Brown was so good he had to play so they moved a good RT inside to RG, a position he’s struggled at, because they felt Brown needed to be on the field.

Brown went on to have a horrible rookie season overall with some moments of great run blocking. 

So I ask you this question. Why did the Bills do it? I know they had a much higher grade on Brown than his draft position. He didn’t play for over a year due to Covid. But did Brown have a great camp and preseason his rookie year? I don’t remember his rookie camp at all. Maybe because of Covid.

4 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

We were told it was not torn. 

A sprain is a tear. It was torn, just not a complete tear.

23 hours ago, jahnyc said:

OT play across the league is not good...

You're right, and this has been true for a very long time. Yet Beane hasn't drafted one in the first or second round in his tenure, nor has he brought in anything like a Von Miller in free agency. He's going cheap on a position that may be the most important and hardest to fill outside of QB. Elam for a first and fourth? Epenesa and Basham in the second round? 

It's like he has a blind spot about tackle, or he thinks that Allen will be fine dodging Brown's blown blocks on an every-snap basis (or those of Brown's incompetent backup). 

I liked the Miller signing, but in hindsight, Beane should have signed the best offensive tackle on the market, OR drafted a tackle instead of Elam, Epenesa, or Basham--or even all three. The Bills would be a better team now if he had. 

18 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I guess I’ll post this here. Anyone remember Spencer Brown’s rookie season? I mean it was only a couple years ago. We had Daryl Williams playing well at RT. He’s an above average RT and was only 28-29 years old. The talk was Brown was so good he had to play so they moved a good RT inside to RG, a position he’s struggled at, because they felt Brown needed to be on the field.

Brown went on to have a horrible rookie season overall with some moments of great run blocking. 

So I ask you this question. Why did the Bills do it? I know they had a much higher grade on Brown than his draft position. He didn’t play for over a year due to Covid. But did Brown have a great camp and preseason his rookie year? I don’t remember his rookie camp at all. Maybe because of Covid.

Grade 1, 2? 

21 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You are misremembering.

Williams was good at RT the year before. Then got paid and was terrible at RT again. They had a massive hole at guard because Ford sucked. I think that forced Feliciano to LG before he got hurt too. So they moved Williams to RG and inserted Brown at RT.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

You are misremembering.

Williams was good at RT the year before. Then got paid and was terrible at RT again. They had a massive hole at guard because Ford sucked. I think that forced Feliciano to LG before he got hurt too. So they moved Williams to RG and inserted Brown at RT.

So moving Williams was more about not having OGs then Brown being too good to be on the bench?

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Rigotz said:

I’d love to see us trade for Josh Jones. Perfect swing tackle with potential to be the outright starter at RT.

https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/platform/amp/2023/5/29/23741224/josh-jones-and-his-unknown-future-with-cardinals

You're not the first person I've seen bring up this idea, but that article you linked says he has only shown proficiency on the left side and when the Cardinals tried him at RT in 2021 it was a failed experiment. He also only played LT in college. So probably not a swing tackle option. I would rather stick with the cheaper, not in a contract year, longer time in the system option in Ryan Van Demark for the backup LT if that's all we're getting out of the player.

We are fairly deep at guard right now so maybe we can find a team that's our inverse - weak at guard depth / strong at tackle depth - and swing a player for player trade with them? I've seen people praise Anderson's and Broeker's performances in the preseason games. We already have Bates ready to step in at all 3 interior spots. Maybe that makes David Edwards expendable to find a legit swing tackle?

• Like (+1) 1

Bates played LT and RT his last 2 years at PSU.  He was good (not great) at LT.

Although I think his best position is at G (I dont know what his wing span is, but its not great), I'm pretty sure he played T for Bills a couple years back.

I dont think he's a long term solution at LT/RT, but maybe he could be the Bills swing tackle this year.

• Like (+1) 1

At this point Quessenberry is Brown's backup.  It's not what the Bills were hoping for after the off season moves they made, but they're familiar with that scenario.  Even with Quessenberry, they are an elite offense.  If Torrence is as good as we're hoping, it might benefit whoever is at right tackle.  I'm actually a bit more concerned about left tackle.  Dawkins looked fat in the spring and played pretty poorly at Pittsburgh.  I'm a little concerned that maybe he doesn't take off season strength and conditioning as seriously he should be.  If he goes downhill, the line is in a lot worse shape. If right tackle play is similar to last season line could actually be a bit better with McGovern and Torrence at guard. 

I am kind of intrigued by Ryan Van Demark on the Bills roster.  I don't know that I want him on the field this season, but he's got decent measurables (speed, length) but he came from the University of Connecticutt rather than even a lesser division one school.   He hasn't even played football that long.  The jump to the NFL might be too much to make in the time he's had with the big boys even though he showed pretty well against Pittsburgh's backups.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/20/2023 at 6:31 AM, Cheektowaga Chad said:

The offensive play calling and what Josh Allen wants to do at QB needs to change from last season, teams have figured out that all you need to do with the current Allen led offense is to rush the passer and not worry about the run at all or even any sort of quick pass. Everything is long developing plays

You start calling quick slants, actual screen plays, runs from under center the offensive line will start to look better since defensive ends and line backers can't just tee off on rushing the passer. It won't even matter if these plays are super successful the act of running these plays will keep the opposing defense honest in coverage

This 1000% Dorsey better get his head out of his ass and start using screens. Jimbo in space is scary and can score anytime he touches the ball.

On 8/22/2023 at 9:14 AM, Rigotz said:

I’d love to see us trade for Josh Jones. Perfect swing tackle with potential to be the outright starter at RT.

https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/platform/amp/2023/5/29/23741224/josh-jones-and-his-unknown-future-with-cardinals

Sounds like the type of OL we like as can play tackle and guard. He'd definitely be on my radar and even offer one of our extra 6ths in 2024 for him. 

On 8/20/2023 at 8:53 AM, Rockinon said:

I think they'll be picking up a tackle at cut down time. The issues were strikingly evident against the Steelers defense. Can't go into the season without a backup plan behind Brown. Maybe Brown finally proves himself, but up to now, he simply hasn't.

Will they find anyone better or as affordable as Quessen erry and Vandemark?

On 8/20/2023 at 8:04 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

They seem to be sticking him at Guard, but I'm wondering if David Edwards might see some reps this week at tackle. 

Wasn't Edwards All American at right tackle?

4 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

Will they find anyone better or as affordable as Quessen erry and Vandemark?

Wasn't Edwards All American at right tackle?

I know he was a tackle but unsure if he played RT or LT.

One thing I found interesting about him, Edwards was recruited to play TE before switching to OL. I'm wondering if he will have a roll as the "6th OL"/tackle eligible" role that Bobby Hart had last year and Tommy Doyle did well in the year before. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.