Rank the top 5 from top to bottom and name 3 dangerous outsider

Italian Bills

2 hours ago, Success said:

We'll know soon enough.

But yeah - that's my take. They are trending down.  I don't think they will contend for the 1 seed this year.  The main thing they have going for them is an easy-as-pie schedule.  Kelce is going to be 34 this year.  They lost Juju.  They're hoping players like Toney can step up.

Just not seeing it. I think they'll struggle to get the 3 seed.

I bet you had a similar take about them going into last season. They lost Hill and hoping guys like JuJu can step up.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Success said:

We beat them last season. In KC.

So did Cincy.

And yet they won the SuperBowl. Regardless of your ‘feelings’ they still have the hardware.

My point is let’s not underestimate the team that has been the AFC Championship game 5 years in a row.

1. KC

2. Cincy

3. Bills

4. Eagles

5. Niners

Outsiders: Jets, Chargers, Jax

Just now, 90sBills said:

And yet they won the SuperBowl. Regardless of your ‘feelings’ they still have the hardware.

My point is let’s not underestimate the team that has been the AFC Championship game 5 years in a row.

1. KC

2. Cincy

3. Bills

4. Eagles

5. Niners

Outsiders: Jets, Chargers, Jax

It has nothing to do w/ feelings.  Objectively, when healthy and not dealing w/ the brutal stuff the Bills had to deal w/ late in the season - Buffalo was a better team. I think the Bengals were, too, and thought that they should have won the AFCCG.

If the only standard is "they won the SB last year, so they must be the best this year," there is really not much point to this thread.  The Eagles would get #2, because they were runner ups.  The Bengals would be #3, because they had the better game in the conf. championship. Then, of course, SF.

The thread would just be about who everyone ranks as the #5.

• Eyeroll 1

10 hours ago, arcane said:

1.) Chiefs
2.) Eagles
3.) Bills
4.) Bengals
5.) 49ers

Three dangerous outsiders: Ravens, Dolphins, Cowgirls

NAILED IT!

My only changes would be in the outsiders.  Ravens, sure, but Detroit is in a weak division and conference.  The third will probably surprise some in that Seattle could prove they are real.  Gino had a consistent run last year, they added at WR to already two excellent WR’s.

I just don’t see the Fish going far with Tua, the Cowgirls perpetually screw thing up when it counts, and to circle back the Ravens added weapons and have I believe potentially a better OC.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Success said:

It has nothing to do w/ feelings.  Objectively, when healthy and not dealing w/ the brutal stuff the Bills had to deal w/ late in the season - Buffalo was a better team. I think the Bengals were, too, and thought that they should have won the AFCCG.

If the only standard is "they won the SB last year, so they must be the best this year," there is really not much point to this thread.  The Eagles would get #2, because they were runner ups.  The Bengals would be #3, because they had the better game in the conf. championship. Then, of course, SF.

I’m not sure what metrics you’re using to say we’re ‘objectively’ better than the Chiefs. And then added on ‘I think the Bengals were better too’.  And then also “I don't think they'll be nearly as good, and I think they probably should have been AFC runner-ups last year as it was."

This is what I meant by your ‘feelings’. You obviously don’t like them and that’s understandable. They’ve been a big thorn since Mahomes took over. But you can’t overlook a championship team. That’s just silly. I hope you’re right that they would take a step back and we’d take a step forward. But until it happens I’ll give them their flowers for what they accomplished.

Cheers! Can’t wait until opening day! It’s going to be a helluva ride. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

I’m not sure what metrics you’re using to say we’re ‘objectively’ better than the Chiefs. And then added on ‘I think the Bengals were better too’.  And then also “I don't think they'll be nearly as good, and I think they probably should have been AFC runner-ups last year as it was."

This is what I meant by your ‘feelings’. You obviously don’t like them and that’s understandable. They’ve been a big thorn since Mahomes took over. But you can’t overlook a championship team. That’s just silly. I hope you’re right that they would take a step back and we’d take a step forward. But until it happens I’ll give them their flowers for what they accomplished.

Cheers! Can’t wait until opening day! It’s going to be a helluva ride. 

I don't disagree w/ most of that. I had them ranked #3 this year, and it would be clueless to say they won't be a tough out. They'll be like that as long as they have Mahomes & Reid.

I was probably a BIT over the top, because I bristle a bit when an opposing fan comes here and starts laughing at posts that have the Bills #1, or don't give proper kudos to KC.  I get why fans are like that, and don't think he's trolling - but it's why I don't post on other boards. I'd inevitably be the same way.  It's probably too defensive on my part. He's welcome here, and has the right to do that & stand up for his team. 

I think we're all in the same place.  We have good teams, and are hoping for the best.  Cheers to you also!  

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Buffalo  (I see us switching places with KC, #1 Offense, very average defense, KC was 1st/16th last season)  

SF

Jax  

Philly   (Eagles were overrated last season, they played very few good offenses) 

KC  (Chiefs don't have a single proven #1 WR on their roster.  I'm not even sure they have a proven #2.  a 34-year old Kelce's all they have that stands out.  Mahomes is great, but that won't be enough to keep them #1 offensively.  Of the 9 regular season games that they allowed 24+ points, they lost 2, won 3 by 3 points, won 1 by 1 point, and won 2 by 6 points.  Their offense isn't going to be as good this season.)  

Cincy  (Burrow's status is a concern)  

Dallas

Jets 

Yes, I know, red X's and ridicule.  I've got it.  LOL  No need to comment, I probably won't respond to any.  Just adding mine to the list.  :D  

16 hours ago, Success said:

We'll know soon enough.

But yeah - that's my take. They are trending down.  I don't think they will contend for the 1 seed this year.  The main thing they have going for them is an easy-as-pie schedule.  Kelce is going to be 34 this year.  They lost Juju.  They're hoping players like Toney can step up.

Just not seeing it. I think they'll struggle to get the 3 seed.

I'll believe KC is falling off when I actually see it on the field.  Elite QBs can make up for so many deficiencies that these teams are always in play to win the SB unless they lose their QB or the wheels completely fall off the rest of the team.   Pundits predicted the Pats' demise almost every year for a decade before Brady left.  I think it's the same with the Chiefs.  I would add that the Bills and Bengals are right there, too, with probably the difference being that Andy Reid is a great coach while McDermott and Taylor aren't shoo-ins for the HOF at this time.

One of the reasons that I couldn't put the 49'ers in the top 5 is because of their QB situation.  Maybe Brock Purdy is the real deal but there are dozens of ex-NFL QBs who looked good for their first six or eight games before their careers went south.   Trey Lance hasn't played enough to even know what kind of a QB he could be.

The Chargers, Fins and Vikings need to acquire a semblance of an average defense before they can be considered top teams in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's hard to put the Bills in the top three...

On defense, our star players have age/injury worries: Hyde, Poyer, Tre, Von.

On offense, our OL still isn't good.  

The jury is out on the O-line.  Brown & Torrence have looked good - and we know the other positions are pretty set.  If both of those players live up to expectations, our line could be a strong unit.

Top 5 Rosters 

1. KC
  2. Philly
  3. Bengals
  4. Bills
  5. 49ers 

Dangerous "outsiders" 

1. Detroit 
  2. Jets
  3. Ravens 

I think the Bills will be very good this year but until I see the improved guard play and the other components on this roster added to address 2022 issues (Poona Ford, Kincaid and the like) in the regular season I can't put them over KC and Philly or Cincy. The 49ers likely have a better roster minus QB but the QB is a huge gap. 

As far as outsiders, the Jets have a really strong roster but they will have some o-line issues which will keep them in the good not great category. The Ravens have a good complement of weapons around Lamar (2 of their last 3 first-round picks were WRs and they brought in OBJ and Andrews is still there) and a good all-around roster, if Lamar can stay healthy they have a chance to make some noise. In the NFC I like Detroit, they had a lot of positive developments last year and they made some quality additions in the off-season via free agency and the draft. In a fairly weak NFC I could see Detroit winning their division and making noise in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, TheWei44 said:

Chiefs

Eagles

Bengals

Bills

49ers

Dangerous: Jags, Lions, Dolphins

I can’t put the Bills ahead of the Bengals until I see us beat them. We match up better with KC, who seems to handle the Bengals better than we do. Getting a lucky path thru the playoffs with good matchups is half the battle. Peak in the playoffs!!! 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

1. Chiefs

2. Bengals

3. Bills

4. Eagles

5. 9ers

Lions, Jets, Ravens

those are basically the 8 teams I think have a chance to win the Super Bowl. 

I’m not arguing with you because I have no idea how good the Lions will be this year, but it just looks funny having them in the Super Bowl hunt. They have a grand total of ONE playoff win in the last 65 years. GEEZ! Talk about droughts

At the very least I’ll try a little harder to see them this season to see what the hype is about. 

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m not arguing with you because I have no idea how good the Lions will be this year, but it just looks funny having them in the Super Bowl hunt. They have a grand total of ONE playoff win in the last 65 years. GEEZ! Talk about droughts

At the very least I’ll try a little harder to see them this season to see what the hype is about. 

Totally get it. I watch a lot of lions and they have something special going on with Campbell and Goff has turned a corner and is a top 3 QB in the NFC. That d is going to be pretty good this year too. Just a gut call but I put $100 on a lions vs Bills SB this year and if it happens I’ll have my SB ticket paid for in Vegas baby lol

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Unless you have a dominant D it is going to come down to offense. So this is the AFC...

KC - Mahomes to Kelce with Andy Reid is at the top. They have a solid OL. Pacheco is a rising star, Toney gets a full offseason. MVS is solid. Watson and Moore add depth.

CIN - Burrow to Chase, Higgins, Boyd. Solid OL and Mixon. 

BUF - Allen to Diggs and Davis. Hopefully, we see Kincard step in as a rookie and get production from Harty, Sherfield or whoever. Cook and Co will likely share the load at RB. OL has questions.

The others...

MIA - Tua to Hill and Waddle. 

NYJ - Rodgers to Wilson, Lazard, Davis

BAL - Jackson to OBJ, Flowers, Andrews, Bateman

JAC - Lawrence to Engram, Ridley, Kirk, Jones

LAC - Herbert to Allen, Williams, Johnston, Everett, Ekelar

Edited by ngbills

On 8/12/2023 at 10:59 PM, Success said:

Chiefs and Bills have similarly talented rosters. Chiefs have a big edge in coaching. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Vomit 1

10 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Chiefs have an edge at QB, OL, WR, TE, RB, LB, and CB. Probably also DL or call it a push.

QB is close. The only thing Mahomes has the Allen doesn't is rings - and that has a lot to do w/ coaching & the Chiefs having had a better roster to this point.

WR?  That's a stretch.  The Bills have a good, versatile corps, top to bottom.  The Chiefs are scrambling a bit to replace guys who produced.  I don't think even Chiefs fans would say they're better at WR.

RB?  No way.  We probably have one of the better RB groups in the AFC right now.

LB - edge to Chiefs because of our uncertainty at MLB.

CB?  No way.

1 hour ago, Success said:

QB is close. The only thing Mahomes has the Allen doesn't is rings 

WR?  The Bills have a good, versatile corps, top to bottom.  

RB? We probably have one of the better RB groups in the AFC right now.

Truly bizarre analysis even for a fan board. Alas, hope springs eternal.

• Eyeroll 1

1. Eagles:  They were close to winning it last year...they got better this offseason while Chiefs loss some players.  
  2. Chiefs:  Popular choice for #1, and basically are until proven otherwise since they are champs.  But honestly, I think this Chiefs team would lose to this current Eagles team if these two teams replayed the SB today, so I swapped Eagles and Chiefs.
  3. Bills - Not a homer pick, I think they have maybe the best roster in the NFL right now top to bottom, but until we see a few things like is the OL improved, is Dorsey better, is McD making the D better, are our injured guys back (Tre, Gabe, Von, Hyde) to themselves, etc it's impossible to move them ahead of Eagles or Chiefs.
  4. Bengals - I know, they beat us over 1.4 worth of games...but I do think the Bills had a great offseason and I don't think the Bengals are actually that great.  I am not even convinced they win their own division.  But, given back to back AFCCG's, they have this spot until proven otherwise.
  5. 49ers - Give them a QB as good as say David Carr or better, and they would be top 2 on this list...but QB is a real question mark, but their roster is so good that even with a major question mark at QB they still make the list at 5.

Jets, Ravens, Browns

Jets - They weren't that far from playoffs last year despite averaging just 1 TD offensively a week.  Rodgers, whether his play has fallen off or not, will still greatly improve on that.  That roster is stacked, but the OL is still an achilles heal, so hard to say where they fall until we see this all on the field...so have them lurking.  

Ravens - The got Lamar some new weapons and Lamar is healthy with a new deal.  If Lamar can stay healthy and OBJ can be good, then they could reclaim their division, but there is no gurantees on either of those.  

Browns - Watson buzz is he looks like a different QB, more like his old self or possibly better.  If Watson is legit, this Browns team is going to contend.  I hated they got Elijah Moore, he is going to be a stud in that offense and don't be surprised to see him flirt with 1000 yards this year.  He has been blowing everyone away in camp so far too.  

Bonus:  Fools Gold:  Cowboys and Chargers - Not buying into these fools gold teams.  These guys find ways to come up short every season and underperform.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.