Bills release first official depth chart of 2023

StHustle

Doesn’t mean much but it does mean something.

E6588-A60-0032-4-BBA-A12-F-9-FCE1356-D10

My takeaways:

1. I feel like CB2 by platoon will actually be a thing

2. Still confused how Spector ended up out of the race after reports of that great day he had. I’m fine with it tho. I think Dodson wins it.

3. Shane Ray and Isabella will be PS targets and have little to no chance of making final 53. They are perfect guys to maybe eventually earn a spot from showing durability and consistency on scout teams. They’ve had their opportunities to make it in the league already and shouldn’t put these younger guys with unknown ceilings in harms way of being claimed. 

4. I think Hamlin makes the final 53. Cam Lewis will be primarily backing up Taron but available at safety in a pinch. Marlowe will not unseat Hamlin.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Spector is out of the race because of what Beane said during his interview with Pat Mcafee. He said that if a player has a great day with the 3s then theyd move him up to 2s. And if he plays well with 2s they would try them withs 1s and see how they look. My guess is he looked great on days he ran with 2s and 3s but not as good on days he got reps with the 1s.

Im also surprised that Torrence and Bates dont have a slash next to their name like the other battles. Especially since Torrence seem to be getting most reps with 1s.

Edited by Kmart128
  • Like (+1) 2

Mildly Interesting points:

-Von Miller listed as an edge starter. I wonder if this means there is legitimate optimism that he is ready for the opener? (I'm probably reading too much into that)

-Tim Settle over Poona Ford with Poona being a 3rd stinger.

-Boogie Basham in front of Shane Ray.

-Andy Isabella mired in the 4th string group. (perhaps not surprising at all)

-Ryan Bates in front of O'Cyrus Torrence

Edited by HereComesTheReignAgain
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I'm trying to not dive too deep into this since it's just the FIRST depth chart of the season in preparation for the FIRST preseason game (whatever that is worth).

Biggest jump outs to me:

1. Bates over Torrence, but not too surprising.

2. The battle at WR3

3. Bernard in there at MLB

4. CB2... Cmon, Elam. Time to step up and lock it down.

• Like (+1) 1

I think both Settle and Bates placement on the initial Depth Chart is simply deference being paid to the veteran Bills players and a message that those spots will need to be earned.  I fully expect Ford and Torrence to be occupying the started spots in week 1.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

I think Spector is out of the race because of what Beane said during his interview with Pat Mcafee. He said that if a player has a great day with the 3s then theyd move him up to 2s. And if he plays well with 2s they would try them withs 1s and see how they look. My guess is he looked great on days he ran with 2s and 3s but not as good on days he got reps with the 1s.

Im also surprised that Torrence and Bates dont have a slash next to their name like the other battles. Especially since Torrence seem to be getting most reps with 1s.

Joe B says the only reason Torrence gets so many 1st string reps is because Bates is getting 2nd string center reps and he can't take all the 1st string guard reps plus all those center reps.  Bates is outperforming Torrence but they are managing his reps. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

I never understood all the Spector love here. Is it because he came out of a big program? He's never stood out on the field to me, even when he was at Clemson.

He always seemed like an AJ Klein replacement, at best.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Bates is also the backup center, so when he gets backup center reps, Torrence runs with the 1's.

Not yet mentioned-

Harty 1st team returner on both punts and kickoffs

Tommt Doyle 2nd string LT-  does he make the team over Quess or shell?  I doubt we keep 3 backup OTs

Shell over Quess backing up Brown

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm trying to not dive too deep into this since it's just the FIRST depth chart of the season in preparation for the FIRST preseason game (whatever that is worth).

Biggest jump outs to me:

1. Bates over Torrence, but not too surprising.

2. The battle at WR3

3. Bernard in there at MLB

4. CB2... Cmon, Elam. Time to step up and lock it down.

Pretty sure any positional battle on depth chart is alphabetical by last name

2 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Pretty sure any positional battle on depth chart is alphabetical by last name

Not sure if this is in response to MLB, CB2, or both. But either way, the fact theyre still in a battle, especially at CB2, is the part that stands out most.

Competition is good! But I'm hoping it's not because no one is stepping in as the clear cut winner.

20 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

-Tim Settle over Poona Ford with Poona being a 3rd stinger.

They may be hoping to trade Settle to a team in need late in TC and want it out there that he's looking good and maybe even ahead of a proven vet like Ford?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I never understood all the Spector love here. Is it because he came out of a big program? He's never stood out on the field to me, even when he was at Clemson.

He always seemed like an AJ Klein replacement, at best.

This is how I see it:  Spector is a better athlete and has more upside in coverage.  Dodson has already proven to be poor in coverage.  We saw Dodson come in vs the Vikings and play a big part in losing the game.  

In this case the unknown is more intriguing than the known.  🤷🏻‍♂️ 

• Like (+1) 4

I'm going to preface this with saying that the 1st depth chart is typically meaningless. But it's not going to stop me from a few knee jerk hot takes...which are equally meaningless.

1. Spector being out of the MLB race early. I know there were some in his corner here. He does make the splash play here and there. But (at least last preseason) he had a tendency to free lance quite a bit. And while it results in a nice play here and there, this defense is meant for everyone to do their 1/11th and be in the spot they are supposed to be in. Still, I expect him to make the squad and keep improving.

2. I am a Torrence guy. I wanted him predraft and am ELATED the Bills selected him. That said, Bates starting week 1 at RG wouldn't shock me. However, I believe they know Torrence is likely to see the field sooner than later due to either him vaulting Bates...or injury to the IOL meaning Bates has to cover C or LG. Getting Torrence a lot of reps now with the 1s is the smart play.

3. CB2. I'm getting used to the term "matchup specific". I think Jackson/Benford/Elam all make starts. Having depth at CB is a good thing.

4. DT: Poona being 3rd team was a tad shocking as I would see him above Settle at least and Phillips since he's yet to make it all the way back. I still expect when the dust sets that's where he will end up.

5. OT: Shell being RT2 over Q is surprising (but a pleasant one for me) as is Doyle being LT2. (Not nearly as pleasant).

6. The overall depth of this roster is insane. We will be cutting players that can start for other teams. 

7. I think we are going to see a lot more vets in the PS this year than years past. Isabella, Klein, Marlowe, Ray all stick out to me as candidates. PS team will look odd without Tanner Gentry occupying the "Friend of Josh Allen" annual spot. 

8. Kyle Allen and Matt Barkley. Woof.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Joe B says the only reason Torrence gets so many 1st string reps is because Bates is getting 2nd string center reps and he can't take all the 1st string guard reps plus all those center reps.  Bates is outperforming Torrence but they are managing his reps. 

And it doesn't hurt Torrence a bit to get in all these reps against the 1s,  might get him up to starting caliber sooner with the work put in.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.