Belichick on the hot seat in N.E.

Inigo Montoya

Is Belichick a good coach, yes. Is he this Goat that so many have bestowed on him? No!! Look at his record without Brady. Look at his record before coming to New England. The media has designated this crown on him and for what? Winning with the Goat, Brady. Brady goes to Tampa and wins a Super Bowl, while the Pats sink into mediocrity. How can he be called the greatest coach ever now? He cannot!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc said:

If he continues to miss the playoffs or not win a playoff game, it won't divide Cheaters nation.  They are already saying it was mostly due to Brady.

Yeah but it’s still a huge controversy.  So many have the same thought “ BB will quit when he’s ready”. 

firing BB will be a big deal. It will also sell tickets.    If they don’t make the playoffs this year which is a realistic probability then that’s honestly the best move for thicket sales.  

50 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

Yeah but it’s still a huge controversy.  So many have the same thought “ BB will quit when he’s ready”. 

firing BB will be a big deal. It will also sell tickets.    If they don’t make the playoffs this year which is a realistic probability then that’s honestly the best move for thicket sales.  

Kraft's not going to keep missing the playoffs for the next few seasons just so Belicheat can break Shula's record with wins included from another team. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Kraft's not going to keep missing the playoffs for the next few seasons just so Belicheat can break Shula's record with wins included from another team. 

Agree.  When they win 9 games this season BB will be gone.  Full stop.  Retirement or “retirement “ he gone 

I’d love a great media frenzy “Your Fired and suck without Brady”  episode but 6 rings won’t end like that.   That’s what winning gets you not an unlimited get out of jail free card.   Too much $$$$ at stake

Just now, Behindenemylines said:

Agree.  When they win 9 games this season BB will be gone.  Full stop.  Retirement or “retirement “ he gone 

I’d love a great media frenzy “Your Fired and suck without Brady”  episode but 6 rings won’t end like that.   That’s what winning gets you not an unlimited get out of jail free card.   Too much $$$$ at stake

And truly BB isn’t BB without Brady.  No dynasty no rings. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

And truly BB isn’t BB without Brady.  No dynasty no rings. 

They'll be lucky to win 9 games with the division and that schedule. 

On 7/29/2023 at 3:13 AM, Inigo Montoya said:

Is there some reason you don't think he's on the hot seat?  I guess I wouldn't bet $100 either way, but if I had to lean in one direction I'd think that multiple Patriot beat reporters saying the same thing means something. 

It means their sources are each other.

13 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

Is Belichick a good coach, yes. Is he this Goat that so many have bestowed on him? No!! Look at his record without Brady. Look at his record before coming to New England. The media has designated this crown on him and for what? Winning with the Goat, Brady. Brady goes to Tampa and wins a Super Bowl, while the Pats sink into mediocrity. How can he be called the greatest coach ever now? He cannot!!!

If the Pats and Bill do part ways and McDermott has another disappointing end to the season, then let the Bill to Bills rumors heat up. Bill + Josh = Super Bowl championship in WNY. Like you said when Bill has an elite level franchise QB he wins big time.

• Vomit 2
  • Dislike 1

11 hours ago, Doc said:

One would think.  Not for three seasons anyway, which is what it would take.  

Would I be off if I suggested that Kraft has more tolerated BB over the years than actually liked him.  

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

If the Pats and Bill do part ways and McDermott has another disappointing end to the season, then let the Bill to Bills rumors heat up. Bill + Josh = Super Bowl championship in WNY. Like you said when Bill has an elite level franchise QB he wins big time.

BB would sacrifice at least one of his sons to coach Josh Allen. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

One would think.  Not for three seasons anyway, which is what it would take.  

Would I be off if I suggested that Kraft has more tolerated BB over the years than actually liked him.  

Why wouldn't he? In your estimation, Kraft has retained a mediocre to bad head coach for over two decades.  Just imagine what they could have accomplished with a good or even great head coach.  Clearly, Kraft doesn't care about winning.  QED.

• Eyeroll 1

17 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

What was Bill Walsh's record without Young and Montana?

What was Paul Brown's record without Otto Graham or Jim Brown? 

Joe Gibbs won three Super Bowls during his first stint with the Redskins.  He finished with a losing record in his second stint.  

Vince Lombardi didn't light the world on fire when he left Green Bay.  

Coaches are important.  But they aren't genetic scientists.  They can't edit genomes.  A coach can get a team to perform at their best - but that still might not be good enough.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

I called for this upthread.  PLEASE LET IT BE SO, LORD! 🤗

There's one problem here: BB is NOT "on the hot seat."  I do find it funny, though, how many people here are so oblivious to the world that they think he is.

Do these people not understand that BB's situation in NE is totally unique to the entire NFL? 

If they have a mediocre season and miss the playoffs, Kraft might "order" BB to move on to a new QB or something like that, but he will not be fired.  

How long BB wants to continue coaching is another matter entirely.  

I would imagine he will retire as the HC of the Patriots.  It's just a question of when that is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

There's one problem here: BB is NOT "on the hot seat."  I do find it funny, though, how many people here are so oblivious to the world that they think he is.

Do these people not understand that BB's situation in NE is totally unique to the entire NFL? 

If they have a mediocre season and miss the playoffs, Kraft might "order" BB to move on to a new QB or something like that, but he will not be fired.  

I would imagine he will retire as the HC of the Patriots.  It's just a question of when that is.

You are probably right. But if he did become available and the Bills disappoint again in the playoffs. then I would throw a blank check at Bill to coach the Bills if I am Terry Pegula. Would Terry do that who knows. I have no doubt Bill would win a Super Bowl with Allen as his QB.

• Vomit 1

On 7/29/2023 at 1:06 AM, BillsShredder83 said:

i mean i guess its the smart thing, but that doesnt matter one bit. if BB leaves or if he stays, it will have 0.0000 to do with mac freaking jones lol

Not so sure about that.  Would it ALL be because of Mac Jones, obviously not but a very small contributing factor.

Look at the type of person Jones is, IMO an entitled, dirty and devious player.  He can "work" on Kraft and continue to point to the Patricia fiasco last year as the reason why Jones had a down year while also pointing out Belichek is finally over the hill.

27 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I would also be shocked if Belichek is ever publicly "fired", no way.  He and Kraft would hadle it as the Bills did with Frazier.  

I cant think of a more absurd decision was to have Patricai/Judge as co offensive coordinators.  You say Belicheks situation is unique n the NFL, there is no doubt that is true.  Can you cite any past conscious coaching decision as bizarre as what Belichek did last year?  I cant.  I think that is  and of itself would get any NFL HC fired but Belichek survived.  Totally logical that Belichik is "On the hot seat" now.   At some point even Kraft has to realize "enough is enough".

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/29/2023 at 1:39 AM, Inigo Montoya said:

https://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/threads/update-curran-says-belichick-has-been-on-the-hot-seat-since-2019.1161044/

Interesting thread on the Pat's message board that has a quote from Ben Volin the Senior NFL writer at the Boston Globe that  says Bill is on the hot seat.

“Robert Kraft already made it clear in March that he wants the Patriots to make the postseason and win a playoff game for the first time in five years,” Volin wrote. “He also paid Jerod Mayo handsomely to keep him off the coaching market and likely views him as the team’s coach-in-waiting. And Belichick’s friends have privately said they are worried that he is on the hot seat in 2023.”

The thread also links to two more stories reporting the same from different sources.

https://nesn.com/2023/07/patriots-rumors-bill-belichicks-friends-fear-coach-on-hot-seat/

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/07/11/sports/mac-jones-bob-kraft-bill-belichick/

This article is behind a paywall and says that Mac Jones has quickly become tight with Robert Kraft and that Bill may end up the odd man out. 

The Bills host the Pats in Week 17 and it would be great to drub them so badly that Bill becomes a dead man walking come Bloody Monday at the end of the regular season.

BB will leave as soon as he sets the record. (Probably next year) He will retire and they will name Mayo as the new HC.  They are not going to fire him unless they go like 2-14.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

OMG! You sound like one of the talking heads. First who care what he did in Cleveland.. a lot of coaches fail their first try.. without Brady he is roughly .500 BUT if they don’t go SUOER NOVA stupid in Vegas or don’t blow the game against GB or I don’t know stop Buffalo from returning 2 kickoffs for TDs.. he makes the playoffs 2-3 years without Brady and if a certain QB didn’t fumble the ball in 3 separate games on the 2 yard line they make it 3 out of 3 years. My point? With Brady they could survive some

mistakes without they can not.. (mind you last year was on him)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.