TE - 17th

OL - 9th

Offense total - 9th

DL - 10th

LB - 22nd

Secondary - 1st

Defense total - 2nd

Special Teams - 27th

Full article (gives cap dollars spent as well as percent of cap for each position)-https://www.yahoo.com/sports/where-bills-rank-positional-spending-141343540.html

Go Bills!

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

• BillsFan619 changed the title to Where the Bills rank in spending for each position
2 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

NFL rank by cap dollars:

QB - 13th

RB - 16th

WR - 12th

TE - 17th

OL - 9th

Offense total - 9th

DL - 10th

LB - 22nd

Secondary - 1st

Defense total - 2nd

Special Teams - 27th

Full article (gives cap dollars spent as well as percent of cap for each position)-https://www.yahoo.com/sports/where-bills-rank-positional-spending-141343540.html

Go Bills!

Bills get tremedous ROI on their offensive spend.  Not so much the defensive spend.  Pretty good indication the coaching and/or player personnel decisions have been better on the offensive side of the ball. 

• Disagree 2

4 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

NFL rank by cap dollars:

QB - 13th

RB - 16th

WR - 12th

TE - 17th

OL - 9th

Offense total - 9th

DL - 10th

LB - 22nd

Secondary - 1st

Defense total - 2nd

Special Teams - 27th

Go Bills!

getting our money's worth from the Secondary for sure.  

The DL and OL are poor investments, although some hope for improvement this year.  

LB is pretty interesting, seems the potential for a huge ROR there with Milano and potentially Klien or Williams (I'm high on Williams).  

With the offseason improvements to receiver (Kincade, etc.), OL, Josh's elbow, the DL (Floyd, Groot improvement, that high Denver pick whose name escapes me) all stepping up, this could be a dominant team.  The rest of the league improved on paper, but so did we.  

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Most expensive secondary is yikes considering

I'm okay with it, when you have peak Tre, Hyde, and Poyer that's a shutdown secondary.  Issue last year was they were all hurt for durations of time.  

2 hours ago, TuelTime said:

Tre and Von need to have an impact this season.

esp. in the playoffs! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

Bills get tremedous ROI on their offensive spend.  Not so much the defensive spend.  Pretty good indication the coaching and/or player personnel decisions have been better on the offensive side of the ball. 

Really? The defense ranked 1st in 2021 and 2nd in 2022.

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Most expensive secondary is yikes considering

Considering what? They were 1st against the pass in 2021 and 9th in 2022 (without Tre White and Micah Hyde for most of the year, plus a hobbled Poyer). When they are on the field and healthy, which is usually, they are one of the best secondaries in the NFL.

Edited by MJS
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

getting our money's worth from the Secondary for sure.  

The DL and OL are poor investments, although some hope for improvement this year.  

LB is pretty interesting, seems the potential for a huge ROR there with Milano and potentially Klien or Williams (I'm high on Williams).  

With the offseason improvements to receiver (Kincade, etc.), OL, Josh's elbow, the DL (Floyd, Groot improvement, that high Denver pick whose name escapes me) all stepping up, this could be a dominant team.  The rest of the league improved on paper, but so did we.  

I'm okay with it, when you have peak Tre, Hyde, and Poyer that's a shutdown secondary.  Issue last year was they were all hurt for durations of time.  

esp. in the playoffs! 

I believe the Denver person you’re referring to is Shane Ray, bro.

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, MJS said:

Really? The defense ranked 1st in 2021 and 2nd in 2022.

Considering what? They were 1st against the pass in 2021 and 9th in 2022 (without Tre White and Micah Hyde for most of the year, plus a hobbled Poyer). When they are on the field and healthy, which is usually, they are one of the best secondaries in the NFL.

Considering its main components are 28, 32, and 32, two of whom are coming off significant injury and the other is banged up on a game to game basis

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Considering its main components are 28, 32, and 32, two of whom are coming off significant injury and the other is banged up on a game to game basis

That is fair. Considering the age and recent injury history it is a gamble going into 2023. But the production they have got out of those players previously should be beyond doubt. Highly paid but highly productive.

Over the course of this regime it has been their spend on defensive front that has significantly underperformed the dollars allocated. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is fair. Considering the age and recent injury history it is a gamble going into 2023. But the production they have got out of those players previously should be beyond doubt. Highly paid but highly productive.

Over the course of this regime it has been their spend on defensive front that has significantly underperformed the dollars allocated. 

Yes, altho imo getting great production for huge$$ kind of sets your ceiling wrt cap issues...it's like can you afford to get good production in areas for cheap (younger guys mostly or prove it deals) and then spend big on other positions where impact might be greater

I know the FO is big on rewarding their guys...I think that can only take you so far until you have a roster full of older expensive players 

If they win the SB it worked but imo they are getting very close to critical mass of above average guys on above average deals w no real value anywhere outside QB

22 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes, altho imo getting great production for huge$$ kind of sets your ceiling wrt cap issues...it's like can you afford to get good production in areas for cheap (younger guys mostly or prove it deals) and then spend big on other positions where impact might be greater

I know the FO is big on rewarding their guys...I think that can only take you so far until you have a roster full of older expensive players 

If they win the SB it worked but imo they are getting very close to critical mass of above average guys on above average deals w no real value anywhere outside QB

I agree with that as a sentiment. I haven't been a huge fan of the second stage of the roster build the last 3 years. I have said that repeatedly. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep… see Poyer as an example….not of fan of them bringing him back… money should’ve been spent elsewhere. 

Agree. And I think I am as big of a Poyer fan as anyone. He didn't get the credit he deserved for the first 3 or 4 years here. But he isn't at his age the same player he was when he was massively underrated.

The defense of that deal is it is basically a 1 year contract. If his play doesn't return to pre-injury levels in 2023 he is an easy cut

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Should be reversed.

This is what you get when you have a DC as your HC.

Having Josh at 13th, though, seems like quite a bargain! 

There is a lot of manipulation going on.  The bigger concern is how much future caps are leveraged.

A next-level analysis would need to also look at who, specifically, is getting the money - not just the position group. A player may earn a lucrative extension, but that doesn’t necessarily mean the team had allocated that money for the position, at least philosophically.

7 hours ago, Chaos said:

Amazing how a franchise qb can carry a unit, eh?

25 minutes ago, Airseven said:

A next-level analysis would need to also look at who, specifically, is getting the money - not just the position group. A player may earn a lucrative extension, but that doesn’t necessarily mean the team had allocated that money for the position, at least philosophically.

or more importantly things like contract structure. Josh may have the 13th cap hit in a single year, but will never be outside the top ten overall qb contracts for more than about 5 minutes if a couple new signatures come through in quick succession. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

NFL rank by cap dollars:

QB - 13th

RB - 16th

WR - 12th

TE - 17th

OL - 9th

Offense total - 9th

DL - 10th

LB - 22nd

Secondary - 1st

Defense total - 2nd

Special Teams - 27th

Go Bills!

For the last few seasons we’ve been #1 or #2 on dline spending 

On 7/15/2023 at 11:46 AM, BillsFan619 said:

NFL rank by cap dollars:

QB - 13th

RB - 16th

WR - 12th

TE - 17th

OL - 9th

Offense total - 9th

DL - 10th

LB - 22nd

Secondary - 1st

Defense total - 2nd

Special Teams - 27th

Go Bills!

Interesting to see it broken down this way, thanks.

That said, how on earth can we be 9th in spending on Offense, and 2nd on Defense?! What the hell is everyone else spending their money on, Special Teams?

On 7/15/2023 at 12:46 PM, BillsFan619 said:

NFL rank by cap dollars:

QB - 13th

RB - 16th

WR - 12th

TE - 17th

OL - 9th

Offense total - 9th

DL - 10th

LB - 22nd

Secondary - 1st

Defense total - 2nd

Special Teams - 27th

Go Bills!

Cap spaced used in a single season is not going to give that accurate of picture of how a team is allocating their resources. Something like a rolling three year cash spend would be a better metric. 

Last season’s near skeleton crew defense showed this is the wrong approach to cap allocation.

No White essentially.  No Hyde.  Miller missed 8 games including playoffs.  Poyer was hurt and didn’t practice much.  The whole D line missed time or played with injuries (Groot, Oliver).  

Still 13-3.  

Just feels like you have to expect to give up points in 2023 NFL.  Hope to hold in the RZ or create enough pressure the O makes more mistakes then you.   

When defenses (powerhouses like Minnesota lol) did that to our offense we lost.  Detroit hung around.    

The Bengals D finds a way to do that seemingly as good as anyone.  

Speaking of them, with the money we spend, why “aren’t we the Ravens???”   

Edited by Big Blitz

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.