McDermott & Beane Extended Through 2027

BritBill

8 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Dismissing a first ballot HOF QB as miles behind Allen is nuts.  I can only assume you are too young to have watched him.  

Setting aside the fact that he's systematically destroying every Buffalo Bills passing record w each passing season

The dexterity with which you are able to go from saying 'I know that football is a multifaceted game with dependent variables because I am a peer reviewed author' in one thread and 'Jim Kelly is better than Josh Allen because 4 Super Bowls' in another is impressive

4 hours ago, PBF81 said:

That window could very well be even smaller for Allen given the incredibly physical style of his play, he's not the ordinary QB.  

If he wants that window to be longer, he'll have to turn into a top notch pocket passer too using his skills only to buy some time to throw, not perpetually challenging the top rusher on the team for yardage.   

But what are your direct thoughts on the composition of our senior coaching staff right now?  

Other than Rivera we have the Carolina staff from 2011-2026.  Does this sit well with you?  Are you comfortable and inspired by that?  

For the life of me I can't see why anyone is.  

Yes, I agree about Josh. I do believe the coaching staff is cognizant on that matter. The problem is that mode of play is built into Josh's DNA. He knows it is not conducive to longevity, but when he gets on the field all that prudential counsel goes bye-bye. My hope is the offense will continue to evolve and enough playmakers emerge that Josh will have confidence in a number of individuals. It can't just be DIggs. That should minimize his feeling that he has to carry the team in every crucial moment. 

I'm going to remain agnostic on the Defensive staff. It's McDermott's baby. I'm willing to see what happens in the coming year. I'd like to see more aggression. Injuries to the secondary hampered us considerably last year. If it's not a wise strategy, we'll know soon enough.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

Lets play a game of who can count and who’s not as smart as he thinks he is.

Reid got to KC in the 2013-2014 season. 
Here’s a list of the AFC Championship games, beginning with the 2013-2014 season:

2013-2014. Den. 26-NE 16

2014-2015 NE 45- Indy 7

2015-2016 Den 20- NE 18

2016-2017 NE 26-Pitt 17

2017-2018 NE 24-Jax 20

2018-2019 NE 37-KC 31

Yeah I’m no Einstein, but my math shows 6 seasons before Reid got to the his first AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. Unless he was moonlighting as another team’s coach. 
Let me help you out: A is the first letter in the alphabet. I believe N is 14th. 

I must admit I laughed when @BILLL, @LABILLBACKER and @PBF81 liked your post that was filled with factual errors. Shows that some posters don’t want facts - they simply want their feelings and opinions validated.

😂😂

Whoo boy!!

Thanks @Augie

How did you not know that Andy Reid had been to championship games with Philly? :doh:

Just unbelievable level of ignorance for someone so invested in the topic.

By definition.......Dopey = Idiotic = very stupid = lacking intelligence or common sense.

Ignorance isn't always the byproduct of being "dopey" but it definitely tracks in your case. :lol:

37 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I believe that the extensions are a public vote of confidence for McDermott and Beane. It gives the impression that the Pegulas are strongly behind this regime (and they very well may be). It certainly can’t hurt. But without the contract details there is no way to tell how much of that is sincere versus PR. The important aspect is the guarantees. If the contracts are fully guaranteed through 2027, then that’s a huge vote of confidence. If there are no new guarantees, then it’s just PR. We don’t have any way of knowing which it is - and I don’t expect those details to come out. That usually only happens after a firing - and not always even then. 

That is bullcrap.

footage-cow-dung-cakes-are-footage-22211

Coaches unlike players have fully guaranteed contracts.  They get paid unless they do something determined by NFL to be a detriment to the NFL.   Probably would require something like gambling on NFL games.  Wade was instructed to fire his friend because he was incompetent and he refused and was fired but still won in arbitration (NFL coaches have their own union).

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Setting aside the fact that he's systematically destroying every Buffalo Bills passing record w each passing season

The dexterity with which you are able to go from saying 'I know that football is a multifaceted game with dependent variables because I am a peer reviewed author' in one thread and 'Jim Kelly is better than Josh Allen because 4 Super Bowls' in another is impressive

Did I say Kelly is better?  No.  You need to learn to read without trying to make everything spin to match your opinion.  I said it is silly to say Allen is a country mile better than a first ballot HOFer. And I also said I love Josh.  But because those go against your little narrative somehow they get omitted. 

Answer this for me:  are you old enough to have actually watched Kelly?  If you aren’t then you should try to learn something from those of us who did.  If you did watch him then you should know he was tough too, and had no fear of running just like Josh.  You should know that his arm, while maybe not Josh’s (which may be the strongest of all time) was plenty strong enough.  Go back and watch tape of him throwing deep to Beebe, or darts down the seam to Reed. He had a huge arm. And called all the plays.

Ge should have won the first SB.  I would criticize him because Parcells and Belichick played to stop the K Gun; he should have just kept handing the ball to Thurman and let him run wild.  The other 3 we lost to better teams.

I think Allen has the potential to be an all-time great.  I fully expect we will win at least one Lombardi with him at the helm, and with McD as HC.  All-time greats are the ones who go into the HOF on the first ballot.  Like Jim Kelly.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Did I say Kelly is better?  No.  You need to learn to read without trying to make everything spin to match your opinion.  I said it is silly to say Allen is a country mile better than a first ballot HOFer. And I also said I love Josh.  But because those go against your little narrative somehow they get omitted. 

Answer this for me:  are you old enough to have actually watched Kelly?  If you aren’t then you should try to learn something from those of us who did.  If you did watch him then you should know he was tough too, and had no fear of running just like Josh.  You should know that his arm, while maybe not Josh’s (which may be the strongest of all time) was plenty strong enough.  Go back and watch tape of him throwing deep to Beebe, or darts down the seam to Reed. He had a huge arm. And called all the plays.

Ge should have won the first SB.  I would criticize him because Parcells and Belichick played to stop the K Gun; he should have just kept handing the ball to Thurman and let him run wild.  The other 3 we lost to better teams.

I think Allen has the potential to be an all-time great.  I fully expect we will win at least one Lombardi with him at the helm, and with McD as HC.  All-time greats are the ones who go into the HOF on the first ballot.  Like Jim Kelly.

So that's it? How about passer rating, ANY/A, TD/INT%, none of those metrics interest you? 

26 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Jim Kelly in his entire career rushed for a little over 1000 yards and averaged less than 1 TD/season. Josh Allen has rushed for over 750yards in a single year (twice) and averages about 8TDs on the ground. 

Find me even one quantifiable thing Kelly does better than Allen. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Yes, I agree about Josh. I do believe the coaching staff is cognizant on that matter. The problem is that mode of play is built into Josh's DNA. He knows it is not conducive to longevity, but when he gets on the field all that prudential counsel goes bye-bye. My hope is the offense will continue to evolve and enough playmakers emerge that Josh will have confidence in a number of individuals. It can't just be DIggs. That should minimize his feeling that he has to carry the team in every crucial moment. 

I'm going to remain agnostic on the Defensive staff. It's McDermott's baby. I'm willing to see what happens in the coming year. I'd like to see more aggression. Injuries to the secondary hampered us considerably last year. If it's not a wise strategy, we'll know soon enough.

Thanks!  

I would say however that more called running plays certainly fall within the purview of coaching, whether that directive come from the top or from the OC.  

There have been a number of games where our rushing is working great, but for some reason they stop running the ball.  I have no idea why and that's not likely on "Allen's DNA," it's on coaching.  I mean here are our numbers of carries not by Allen by game, starting at the season opener: 

15, 20, 15, 14, 13, 21, 21, 13, 21, 30, 19, 29, 14, 19, 25, 16, 22 (P), 11 (P) 

In rank order by # of carries:  30, 29, 25, 22 (P), 21, 21, 21, 20, 19, 19, 16, 15, 15, 14, 14, 13, 13, 11 (P)  

Add to that Allen's 124.  

Agree on the season, it's a big season IMO, whatever the thoughts related to our performance(s) after the season, what happens will be self-defining.  

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Yeah if Josh Allen doesn't have to run 7-8x per game for upwards of 40-50 yards to keep the offense on schedule and remain top 2-3 in the league.........then they will have likely solved the problem of not-good-enough weapons around him.    The organization says they want him to take less hits but they don't say let's just punt the ball once or twice more per game instead.    The last two seasons he's had to run more......and extend those runs......in order to keep the chains moving and maintain the kind of offensive pace that they established in 2020.    By comparison,  Patrick Mahomes has had better weapons and/or a better OL and runs about half as often.    

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah if Josh Allen doesn't have to run 7-8x per game for upwards of 40-50 yards to keep the offense on schedule and remain top 2-3 in the league.........then they will have likely solved the problem of not-good-enough weapons around him.    The organization says they want him to take less hits but they don't say let's just punt the ball once or twice more per game instead.    The last two seasons he's had to run more......and extend those runs......in order to keep the chains moving and maintain the kind of offensive pace that they established in 2020.    By comparison,  Patrick Mahomes has had better weapons and/or a better OL and runs about half as often.    

I don't think people are really aware of how substantial a burden leading an elite passing attack while also chipping in enough yards/rush attempt by yourself to keep defenses honest is on a purely physical level

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

How did you not know that Andy Reid had been to championship games with Philly? :doh:

By definition.......Dopey = Idiotic = very stupid = lacking intelligence or common sense.

Ignorance isn't always the byproduct of being "dopey" but it definitely tracks in your case. :lol:

Wow. You must have missed a post or just glossed over it. My point to brainiac was that KC held on to Reid EVEN though he had not taken them to a SB, much less a conference championship game in his first few years there. It took 6 years. Look it up. That’s why I put in bold AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.  To which brainiac tried correcting me BY stating that Reid went to AFC Championship games in years 3, 4, 5 and 6. Read Einstein’s post that I replied to and get back to me. Plus , my response to him was because he thinks we’ve held on to McDermott for too long BECAUSE he has not reached the “ultimate objective “ (SB win). Then he moves the goalposts to say well Reid made it to championship games early in his career. But, again, brainiac was on his “ultimate objective “ kick and do it quickly. When he was confronted with the fact that Reid took a while in KC, he moved the goalposts from “ultimate objective “ to “Reid got close”. Way to change your tune, Einstein. And you follow it like a lost puppy. 
If I didn’t know about Reid with Philly, why would I mention he never reached the “ultimate objective “ in 21 years?
If you’re going to join in on the conversation, at least know what the hell you are arguing about.  
Did you really bring up ignorance!?!?!😂   

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He was attempting to be deceptive.

”Well, KC kept Reid despite not going to the championship game… ignore the FIVE championship games he was in before. They weren’t “afc” championship game”.

And then Augie liked the post lol.

If you’re getting that close to the ultimate goal, that many times, teams tend to give more leeway than if, say, keep getting bounced in the divisional round and struggle against 3rd string QB’s.

Edited by Einstein
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Vince young was physically more gifted that Jim Kelly too

I think the ultimate comparasion would be Brady and Breeze. Physical gifts and strengths are important QB qualities but it's not the only measure used to evaluate QB talent. Look at Cam Newton as well. 

Modern day football I'd look to Joe Burrow. Nothing special about his physical traits. However, his it factor is very special thus far. 

Edited by newcam2012

4 hours ago, PBF81 said:

I'm not all that down on Dorsey at the moment as you may think, but the offense needs to be far more rounded this season, more balanced between passing & rushing (RBs rushing that is, not Allen rushing).  But I will say, if after this season those issues still persist, then IMO it's time to consider another OC.  I was incredibly high on Dorsey before last season began.  I was an enormous fan of his while he was at Miami.  So it's hardly like I came in with a preconceived bias.  

I'm not as big a fan of Rivera as you seem to be.  IMO he's not a good coach.  He's achieved nothing significant.  As a HC his passing Ds have been poor.  His career W/L record is barely above .500.  (.521)  

I don't want to bring Beane/Gettleman into the convo at this point.  No need right now.  That's after the season stuff.  

Interesting post!  

Another poster recently made the comment that Buffalo doesn't own a single sports championship trophy in any major league sport, with the implication that until it does, will always be considered a second-rate sports city.  

I guess that's a topic for debate.  

Gettleman???

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

Lol so you were purposefully being deceptive by talking about when Reid made his first afc championship game on his second team? So… not his first championship game? And completely irrelevant to our discussions in this thread. He had been in FIVE CHAMPIONSHIP games prior to that second team. 

While we are at, it took Tom Brady over 20 years to make his first NFC Championship game! That totally proves that QB’s should be given 20 years to prove their worth! Makes sense.

This is embarrassing for both you and @Augie

Nothing deceptive. Learn to read. I wrote AFC Championship games plain as can be. It’s not my fault a brainiac like you missed it. Even if you think it was deceptive, you waffled and moved the goalposts to then say he got close in Philly, but that WAS NOT the “ultimate objective” you were referring to. It was all about winning the SB. You were on a roll with your “ultimate objective and quickly “ narrative until  someone challenged you on it. You seem to have lost your way since. Crying about deception because you didn’t read my post correctly. As to the bold, what an embarrassing attempt to deflect. I would say you’re better than that, but that would be a lie. You’ve got quite a following there. Your blind puppy @BADOLBILZneeds to be taken for a walk before he craps the floor. Here’s what you wrote. Ring a bell?

“It depends on how you define success.

The only goal of the NFL is to win a Super Bowl.

There is no trophy for making the playoffs or winning the division.”

image.jpeg.c9d231e5777506ba36d683509d2dd7e8.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Einstein said:

He was attempting to be deceptive.

”Well, KC kept Reid despite not going to the championship game… ignore the FIVE championship games he was in before. They weren’t “afc” championship game”.

And then Augie liked the post lol.

If you’re getting that close to the ultimate goal, that many times, teams tend to give more leeway than if, say, keep getting bounced in the divisional round and struggle against 3rd string QB’s.

What a child you come off as. My post was clear as day. Einstein. Guessing the letters “KC” meant nothing to such a smart person. You missed it and now feel deceived!?!? 😩

Edited by Dopey

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's no coincidence that the season we had the best weapons and o-line (2020) was the lowest rushing production and attempts per game of his career by a healthy margin.  I'd like to see them get back to that and it's why I think Beane's biggest mistake this offseason was not finding an upgrade to Spencer Brown.  I do understand though his limited options given the cap space and scarcity of free agents at the right tackle position.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

It depends on how you define success.

The only goal of the NFL is to win a Super Bowl.

There is no trophy for making the playoffs or winning the division.

No, the only goal of the NFL is to make money, the game is merely the means to that end. And you get a banner ever time you win the division, 👍

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's no coincidence that the season we had the best weapons and o-line (2020) was the lowest rushing production and attempts per game of his career by a healthy margin.  I'd like to see them get back to that and it's why I think Beane's biggest mistake this offseason was not finding an upgrade to Spencer Brown.  I do understand though his limited options given the cap space and scarcity of free agents at the right tackle position.

Beane, the beneficiary of one of the extensions that ostensibly is the topic of this thread, headed into the 2022 offseason needing to shore up LG and WR2.  He gambled on both positions and lost, and the consequences of that cascaded through the offense and caused Allen to take matters into his own hands by the end of the season.  It’s also indirectly what led to Diggs having a meltdown.  They left themselves almost no margin for error last season and the results reflected a team bursting at its seams with Allen and Diggs trying to will them into a championship.

This offseason Beane at least spread out his bets at both positions.  Hopefully he doesn’t crap out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.