Great article on Zay Jones

26 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Well, our 1st Round Pick this year dropped almost nothing in college.

So maybe Brandon Beane realized his hit percentage at this position wasn't good enough, and he decided to adjust scouting priorities.

I hope Beane realized the over-investment on defense was an issue the past two off-seasons in 2021 and 2022. This off-season while the resources were more limited they did manage to add a quality starting guard as their largest free agent acquisition and draft the best tight end and guard in the draft along with several smaller acquisitions. This past off-season at least showed some reason for optimism about more draft/free agency investment around Josh. 

Glad he was strong enough & has come out of it i always thought he was a good pick and can understand why he went down the way he did . When you are always the special player that dos extraordinary things & the praise is heaped on you that becomes the norm & i can't imagine the disappointment he felt .

But he proved he could learn from it & be a stronger person & i am glad he has a good NFL career keep it up Zay !! 

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

One thing that hasn't changed.........he's still "Drop-Zone" Jones.

Only receiver in the NFL to drop more passes than Gabe last year..........just did it on a lot more targets.

Remarkable that the Bills drafted the two worst ball droppers in the league in Zay and Gabe...........claimed McKenzie who was a near historic fumble factory in Denver and had a Gabe-esque drop rate last season........and drafted Knox who has been a work in progress wrt hands..........goes too show you that early in a teams development the finer points of the game can get overlooked.    

I expect Zay will wear out his welcome fairly quick in Jax if he doesn't fix the dropsies.   Expectations and windows of opportunity change the perspective.

I’m assuming you didn’t read the article cuz he addressed the drop issue with the following:

If I catch a touchdown pass to win a game or if I drop a touchdown pass — and I’ve been on both sides of it — the Lord still loves me,” says Jones. “I’m still alive. I’m still here. I can always get back up on my feet.”

If you did read it, and this is what you get from it, what a miserable sour puss you come off as. The lynch mob will follow someone who is even on the team anymore. 
Question: why do you give a 💩 about Zay and his drops? Don’t you have enough players on the Bills to bitc h about? 

LAMP alert:

I told the mob here Zay was better than Duke. You guys are funny. Sometimes. 

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

the degree to which he allows his voice to color the narrative is extremely lazy and to me indicative of inherent superficiality

i would call him solipsistic but that's probably giving him too much credit

Yes and no.  It’s not like he’s writing for the AP and has to follow a strict set of guidelines.  I think his writing is somewhat revisionist and his voice does influence the narrative - a good example is the whole Allen/Mahomes debate.  

But I also think he’s a very good storyteller and one of the best feature writers.  

Also, he largely has a good track record when it comes to accuracy.  Aaron Rodgers tried to portray him as a hack writer with an agenda, but just about everything he wrote about ARod came to fruition.  

I think you’re selling him short as a writer

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I’m assuming you didn’t read the article cuz he addressed the drop issue with the following:

If I catch a touchdown pass to win a game or if I drop a touchdown pass — and I’ve been on both sides of it — the Lord still loves me,” says Jones. “I’m still alive. I’m still here. I can always get back up on my feet.”

If you did read it, and this is what you get from it, what a miserable sour puss you come off as. The lynch mob will follow someone who is even on the team anymore. 
Question: why do you give a 💩 about Zay and his drops? Don’t you have enough players on the Bills to bitc h about? 

LAMP alert:

I told the mob here Zay was better than Duke. You guys are funny. Sometimes. 

Whether dropping passes gets him down or not has nothing to do with what I said.

I said he's still dropping them passes. 

Does he really think that anyone reading that story needs to be told that he's "been" on the "drop a touchdown pass" side of things.  😂

It's spoken like the dropsies are in the past tense for him.........when in fact, he was the worst ball dropper in the National Football League this past season.

9 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Yes and no.  It’s not like he’s writing for the AP and has to follow a strict set of guidelines.  I think his writing is somewhat revisionist and his voice does influence the narrative - a good example is the whole Allen/Mahomes debate.  

But I also think he’s a very good storyteller and one of the best feature writers.  

Also, he largely has a good track record when it comes to accuracy.  Aaron Rodgers tried to portray him as a hack writer with an agenda, but just about everything he wrote about ARod came to fruition.  

I think you’re selling him short as a writer

Imo he's just slightly elevated that phony bro intellectualism but in the landscape of sportswriting this is probably fair tbh

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Whether dropping passes gets him down or not has nothing to do with what I said.

I said he's still dropping them passes. 

Does he really think that anyone reading that story needs to be told that he's "been" on the "drop a touchdown pass" side of things.  😂

It's spoken like the dropsies are in the past tense for him.........when in fact, he was the worst ball dropper in the National Football League this past season.

What it has to do with your statement is: he’s at peace in life and he doesn’t give a damn what miserable sour pusses think. Especially one who takes this story and make it about drops cuz he dropped some for your beloved Bills. Let it go. Before you say there’s nothing to let go, don’t. You really come off as miserable when that’s what you get from the story. It was a feel good post by the op. Just trying to spread joy. Some of you are just plain miserable. 
Happy Friday. :beer:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Interesting comments on McD:

The head coach’s gruff coaching style made matters worse. Jones describes McDermott as a “lunch pail guy” and does credit him for being manically detailed. But he also calls him downright “intimidating.” During meetings, McDermott would spontaneously grill players. Ask Jones, for example, to name the top three coverages the Baltimore Ravens run on third-and-“2 to 6.” When Jones answered Cover 3, McDermott pressed him. Which type of Cover 3? Such a high-pressure environment was a natural pendulum swing away from Rex Ryan’s country-club ways. But wind everybody up this tight year ‘round and players will inevitably crack.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

What it has to do with your statement is: he’s at peace in life and he doesn’t give a damn what miserable sour pusses think. Especially one who takes this story and make it about drops cuz he dropped some for your beloved Bills. Let it go. Before you say there’s nothing to let go, don’t. You really come off as miserable when that’s what you get from the story. It was a feel good post by the op. Just trying to spread joy. Some of you are just plain miserable. 
Happy Friday. :beer:

Oh, Dopey........so hopelessly dense you are. :lol:

Now that he's not a Buffalo Bill I am glad Zay is good at letting things go.........it bothered me when he was doing it as a Bill though......

ZayDrop1.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Interesting comments on McD:

The head coach’s gruff coaching style made matters worse. Jones describes McDermott as a “lunch pail guy” and does credit him for being manically detailed. But he also calls him downright “intimidating.” During meetings, McDermott would spontaneously grill players. Ask Jones, for example, to name the top three coverages the Baltimore Ravens run on third-and-“2 to 6.” When Jones answered Cover 3, McDermott pressed him. Which type of Cover 3? Such a high-pressure environment was a natural pendulum swing away from Rex Ryan’s country-club ways. But wind everybody up this tight year ‘round and players will inevitably crack.

That shouldn’t be to hard for a professional WR to answer 

football is a counter to your counter … they only way to know how to beat how they play you … is to know when and how they play you 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh, Dopey........so hopelessly dense you are. :lol:

Now that he's not a Buffalo Bill I am glad Zay is good at letting things go.........it bothered me when he was doing it as a Bill though......

ZayDrop1.gif

But it was a nice feel-good story!

I ####### hate feel-good stories. 

• Haha (+1) 1

It's a long read, but a good story that gives a lot of insight into Jones.  It's too bad things didn't work out for him in Buffalo, but both parties have moved on successfully.  I wish Jones well, except when the Jags and Bills are playing.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.