Great article on Zay Jones

Very good article on Zay Jones. It shows how little I & most fans really know about the players.  I wasn’t a fan of Jones here in Buffalo, but I am now.  I hope he has a great rest of his career (except when he plays against Buffalo!).  Zay can be an inspiration to a lot of young people struggling today. 

On 6/23/2023 at 7:13 AM, boyst said:

100% truth. 

We are on a football message board, not a hug, kiss and celebrate life message board.  In most cases these guys mean nothing more to us than the laundry they wear. That is unless you're wondering what Pooh Williams is up to these days, or Damien Conington, or Mark Pike, or Keith McKellar.

Zay Jones is by all accounts a good dude. He is good friends with my steps sons 2nd grade teacher. While we all should applaud growth, happiness, and personal development we are here to discuss the realities of football.

That reality is Jones has struggled with fundamentals of the game and it set our team back. This is not a personal statement - this is a professional statement. 

From a human perspective, the article is a good read of seeing someone who went through some dark times and fought to get on track and persevered.  Happy for Zay, even though I knew he wasn't good enough to be a starter here, I never had anything personal against him and happy that he has rebounded.  

From a football perspective during his time in Buffalo - this article just confirms literally everything I said about him while he was here, he wasn't mentally strong enough in Buffalo, lacked confidence, struggled understanding how to run routes, and had shaky hands.  I had so many people argue with me that the dropped game winning TD in Carolina was Tyrod's fault, which was completely false, and Zay himself confirms it here.  The ball was exactly where he was supposed to be, but he didn't run a good route nor understand how to run the route.  He stumbled on his own and got out of position on the play, it was a perfect pass by TT, poor play by Zay.  I even discussed how this play spiraled his confidence the rest of that season, yet people argued.  

From a football perspective today...he still isn't good enough to be a WR2/Starter.  Glad he got paid, and glad he had some success last year, but he led the league in drops, something that has plagued him his whole career.  Zay is a good depth WR, but a low end starter.  I actually think while last year was probably his best season statistically despite the drops, this year is probably setting him to be in the best position that suits him, #3 WR on a good team.  He won't likely repeat the stats he had last year, maybe ever again in his career, but I think he can be a more effective player for the Jags as a 3rd WR behind Kirk and Ridley, and probably the 4th option when you add in Engram who emerged as a Trevor fave second half the season last year.  

All in all...so happy to see him turn his career around from forgotten man, near washout, to well paid solid depth WR on a good up and coming team where he has a role.  It really is a great story and one of the better cases of turning ones career around in recent memory.  I will continue to root for his success unless he is playing the Bills where I will root for him to drop more balls lol.  

On 6/23/2023 at 10:39 AM, BillsFanInRaleigh said:

This is a bit of a lazy take IMO. Yes, his drop  % was high last year, on more targets, but in 2018 it was 2.9% on 100+ targets (with inaccurate Josh throwing to him). It was also low in 2020 and 2021 with LV. It's not like he's this +10% drop player every year. 

He had a bad drop year in 2017 and last year.

What's wrong with him not wanting to discuss a horrific night that almost killed him in an article that's going to get displayed to the world?

What's the point of the article at all?  Another coddled sport millionaire who screwed up and now is finally earning his salary--stop me if you had head this before.  

Jones came in as a record setting college WR, but he couldn't handle pro DBs.  He didn't know opposing D's before playing them---and got all weepy when McD would quiz him on it (like he apparently does every player).  He had a tough rookie season and crumbled.

It's nice he came back to do his job (WR2) without all those problems.   But this is the worst kind of puff piece.  No one slobbers like T Dunne--perhaps the dumbest line he's ever written is this (for all us little people):

"And if someone who fought like a banshee to manually eject himself from that L.A. window found a way to reach such bliss, there’s zero reason any of us should wallow in pity. Over anything."

He has to be joking?  Or is he so lost in professional hero boosting as a career that he hasn't any other human scale to compare to?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What's the point of the article at all?  Another coddled sport millionaire who screwed up and now is finally earning his salary--stop me if you had head this before.  

Jones came in as a record setting college WR, but he couldn't handle pro DBs.  He didn't know opposing D's before playing them---and got all weepy when McD would quiz him on it (like he apparently does every player).  He had a tough rookie season and crumbled.

It's nice he came back to do his job (WR2) without all those problems.   But this is the worst kind of puff piece.  No one slobbers like T Dunne--perhaps the dumbest line he's ever written is this (for all us little people):

"And if someone who fought like a banshee to manually eject himself from that L.A. window found a way to reach such bliss, there’s zero reason any of us should wallow in pity. Over anything."

He has to be joking?  Or is he so lost in professional hero boosting as a career that he hasn't any other human scale to compare to?

I think even Whaley and Monos would cringe over that line.

56 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

From a human perspective, the article is a good read of seeing someone who went through some dark times and fought to get on track and persevered.  Happy for Zay, even though I knew he wasn't good enough to be a starter here, I never had anything personal against him and happy that he has rebounded.  

From a football perspective during his time in Buffalo - this article just confirms literally everything I said about him while he was here, he wasn't mentally strong enough in Buffalo, lacked confidence, struggled understanding how to run routes, and had shaky hands.  I had so many people argue with me that the dropped game winning TD in Carolina was Tyrod's fault, which was completely false, and Zay himself confirms it here.  The ball was exactly where he was supposed to be, but he didn't run a good route nor understand how to run the route.  He stumbled on his own and got out of position on the play, it was a perfect pass by TT, poor play by Zay.  I even discussed how this play spiraled his confidence the rest of that season, yet people argued.  

From a football perspective today...he still isn't good enough to be a WR2/Starter.  Glad he got paid, and glad he had some success last year, but he led the league in drops, something that has plagued him his whole career.  Zay is a good depth WR, but a low end starter.  I actually think while last year was probably his best season statistically despite the drops, this year is probably setting him to be in the best position that suits him, #3 WR on a good team.  He won't likely repeat the stats he had last year, maybe ever again in his career, but I think he can be a more effective player for the Jags as a 3rd WR behind Kirk and Ridley, and probably the 4th option when you add in Engram who emerged as a Trevor fave second half the season last year.  

All in all...so happy to see him turn his career around from forgotten man, near washout, to well paid solid depth WR on a good up and coming team where he has a role.  It really is a great story and one of the better cases of turning ones career around in recent memory.  I will continue to root for his success unless he is playing the Bills where I will root for him to drop more balls lol.  

I agree with this.

I was at the game. Seated on that side of the field at the 5. I sent that video to everyone. Taylor didn't have great placement but it was on Jones.

It sucked being at the game. Super hot, douchebag Carolina fans.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The dude fought like a banshee to eject himself from a window because he was hallucinating on mushrooms…. What the ***** is he talking about? 

yup!  Jones’s rebound from one bad trip renders all other human suffering completely insignificant and any individual’s depression just idle self indulgence.  

Suck it up losers—your actual suffering will never compare to the unimaginable atrocities visited upon Zay Jones in his NFL rookie year !

• Like (+1) 1

People rag on Sully all the time, but he would never ever even think of writing something as inane as that.

Like I said, Tyler Dunne = total hack. #1 supporter of the last few years of the Drought Era, defending the indefensible.

• Like (+1) 2

• 4 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.