Is Sean McDermott our version of Doug Collins?

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I watched these Panthers teams a lot

Their line was not great in pass pro at all

Newton was low in pass attempts because he didn't have wideouts. It was all on Cam.

The biggest issue from these board’s about our offense is the line and not having other reliable targets other than Diggs.  Newton had Olsen.

Why aren’t we middle of the pack in pass attempts?

Its because its Allen is a reliable thrower.  Newton has never been.  

The Panthers OL in 2015 and in Cam’s early years was much better than what Allen has had.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The biggest issue from these board’s about our offense is the line and not having other reliable targets other than Diggs.  Newton had Olsen.

Why aren’t we middle of the pack in pass attempts?

Its because its Allen is a reliable thrower.  Newton has never been.  

The Panthers OL in 2015 and in Cam’s early years was much better than what Allen has had.

It's because they were paying two RBs lol

Cams line was not that good. It ended up getting him killed

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I see the Reeves in the playoffs analogy and why that works. But it was the turn around a tire fire point about Marty that makes that comparison valid. Denver were good before Reeves got there even pre-Elway. McDermott, like Shotty, did the heavy lifting of the rebuild at the start to turn around a culture amd build credibility.

The Atlanta Falcons were 3-13 in 1996.  In 1997 Reeves joined. In 1998 The Falcons went 14-2 and lost to the falcons in the Super Bowl.  His turn around credentials are actually more solid than McDermotts. So the Reeves comparison maybe overly generous. 

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It's because they were paying two RBs lol

Cams line was not that good. It ended up getting him killed

3 All Pros/Pro Bowlers in 2015, one then became the highest paid guard in the NFL and another is a borderline Hall of Famer?  Trai Turner wasn’t elite but was also a very good guard.  

Im pretty sure that his slow processing and holding the ball had most to do with it.

That was one fluke year.  Cam was an average level QB before then and after has been terrible.  

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

3 All Pros/Pro Bowlers in 2015, one then became the highest paid guard in the NFL and another is a borderline Hall of Famer?  Trai Turner wasn’t elite but was also a very good guard.  

Im pretty sure that his slow processing and holding the ball had most to do with it.

That was one fluke year.  Cam was an average level QB before then and after has been terrible.  

Cam wasn't as good as Allen but calling him average and terrible just is not true lol

He was breaking rookie QB records his first year 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

The Atlanta Falcons were 3-13 in 1996.  In 1997 Reeves joined. In 1998 The Falcons went 14-2 and lost to the falcons in the Super Bowl.  His turn around credentials are actually more solid than McDermotts. So the Reeves comparison maybe overly generous. 

Fair enough, I was on about Denver. That Atlanta team was a bit of a one hit wonder. He only ever had one more winning season in his seven seasons there. That isn't a turnaround in my book. That's lightening in a bottle.

• Like (+1) 1

No matter what I think of their performances currently and whether or not they can get this done, I think there is zero chance that McD and Beane aren’t opening up the new stadium in 2026.  

They will absolutely not fire anyone in January 2024.  

That leaves 2025 and 2026 to make a change before the new stadium opens.  

Not going to happen.   

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I watched these Panthers teams a lot

Their line was not great in pass pro at all

Newton was low in pass attempts because he didn't have wideouts. It was all on Cam.

That Norwell, Khalil, Turner and Williams like was very good in their Superbowl run. They were weak at left tackle but those 4 were solid. It was a bit of a one year wonder though... they didn't maintain that level. But they had a good line that year. 

Agree on wideouts. Funchess and Ted Ginn were their starters that year. That is atrocious. Though obviously Olsen was a stud tight end. 

On 6/15/2023 at 12:59 AM, 78thealltimegreat said:

I was watching some old stuff on the NBA and it kinda hit me the parallels the Bills have to the pre Phill Jackson Bulls. 
  Doug Collins their coach took over a franchise that was in disarray even after drafting one Michael Jordan two years earlier. 
  They became a consistent playoff team under Doug but couldn’t get over the hump til management decided Doug just wasn’t the guy and brought in Phill. 
  Seems like the National Media is starting to ask if you have this all world QB why haven’t you gotten farther and now it appears after today the National Media is starting to kinda zero in on Sean as the scapegoat in the Steff Diggs stuff. 
  I like Sean alot and remember the debacle he took over from Rex but have we reached the point where if they don’t win it this year do Terry and Brandon say it’s time to go in a different direction? 

I've been making this argument since the 13 seconds

20 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Sean Payton was just available.  The coach doesn't have to be a "re-tread."

You have to strike while the iron is hot.  God knows which really good coach will become available this upcoming offseason b/c it didn't work as planned.  Look at Doug Pederson---he's not a "retread' and he's moved around, been available in recent years.

You'd rather have a decade of playoff losses with McDermott, huh?

Well, to each his own, I guess.

Sean Payton is somehow going to win you a Super Bowl because he stumbled into one in 2009 but Sean McDermott isn't because its impossible to win a Super Bowl when you've coached for the same team 6+ years. Its a rule, look it up.

image.thumb.png.482bc48e0f41a12f5094a54a7507994a.png

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Sean Payton is somehow going to win you a Super Bowl because he stumbled into one in 2009 but Sean McDermott isn't because its impossible to win a Super Bowl when you've coached for the same team 6+ years. Its a rule, look it up.

image.thumb.png.482bc48e0f41a12f5094a54a7507994a.png

And of those teams only Seattle in 13 were really a top class team. The Bills at least have lost to teams equal or better than them.

17 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

No matter what I think of their performances currently and whether or not they can get this done, I think there is zero chance that McD and Beane aren’t opening up the new stadium in 2026.  

They will absolutely not fire anyone in January 2024.  

That leaves 2025 and 2026 to make a change before the new stadium opens.  

Not going to happen.   

A stadium opening is actually the perfect time to fire an old coach and hire a new one.

New coaches (new hope) boost ticket sales.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.