JA just gets it

BillsFan619

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

NJ is a suburb of NYC.  It exists because of this.  This is only a thing for upstaters to discuss.

It's not a point worth making...over and over

What if I told you I am in NYC since birth. We don't like Jersey and we don't consider it part of us.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Just in Atlanta said:

The Orchard Park Bills, East Rutherford Jets, Foxoboro Patriots (or Smyrna Braves) don't have the best ring. 

Arlington Cowboys,  Santa Clara 49ers, Paradise Raiders, Landover Commanders, Miami Gardens Dolphins, Inglewood Rams and Chargers, Glendale Cardinals are the others.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

That's your opinion. But I don't think people in New Jersey believe that their state only exists because of New York.

That's hardly important. 

Anyway....They aren't NJ's teams, they are NY's.

55 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

What if I told you I am in NYC since birth. We don't like Jersey and we don't consider it part of us.

Then you don't consider the Jets and Giants as NJ teams either.

I didn't day NJ is part of NY.  It's a suburb of the city.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 2

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Are you a current buffalonian? Western NEW YORK pride is huge and the fat cats have stolen from us for a century 

this is kind of a myth, unless I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying.

Without NYC, WNY would be considered one of the poorer states in the country. NYC pretty much funds the rest of NY.

70+% of income tax money NY collects comes from a few counties in the NYC area alone. If anything, NYC is getting screwed. They pay a lot more and get less than we do upstate.

Upstate NY gets something like $15 billion more than what they pay every year.

Without NYC, our taxes would have to go up by 50% to make up the difference, or spending on services would have to be massively cut. 

There was talk a while back about splitting the state and thankfully it never happened because it would be a total disaster for us.

https://www.syracuse.com/politics/2019/03/5-reasons-why-splitting-new-york-would-be-a-disaster-for-upstate.html

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's hardly important. 

Here, let me help you. The best argument for them as New York teams is that most of New Jersey is part of the New York City metropolitan statistical area, called the New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA MSA.

But nobody cares that much. It's just a funny thing to make fun of Jets and Giants fans. It's harmless fun.

• Like (+1) 1

I never understood the whole "Jets and Giants don't play in NY" thing.

OK, so what?

So the Bills are the only team actually headquartered in NYS.

Who gives  F?

2 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

When you say "we" are you speaking for all 9 million people in the 5 boroughs?

Or are you speaking for yourself?

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I never understood the whole "Jets and Giants don't play in NY" thing.

OK, so what?

So the Bills are the only team actually headquartered in NYS.

Who gives  F?

When you say "we" are you speaking for all 9 million people in the 5 boroughs?

Or are you speaking for yourself?

When I say we I'm speaking for everyone I've met,  but that was cute. I hope you are from here otherwise move along cause you don't know what you are talking about. NJ is viewed as the little brother not as part of NYC by New Yorkers. 

That's hardly important. 

Then you don't consider the Jets and Giants as NJ teams either.

I didn't day NJ is part of NY.  It's a suburb of the city.

The reason I do is a bit different than others. Living in NY and knowing that driving over the GW bridge means I'm going into NJ is my reasoning.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Here, let me help you. The best argument for them as New York teams is that most of New Jersey is part of the New York City metropolitan statistical area, called the New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA MSA.

But nobody cares that much. It's just a funny thing to make fun of Jets and Giants fans. It's harmless fun.

It's easier than that.  They are NY teams because they were founded in and spent a combined total of 75 years in the city.  Then, seeking a new stadium to play in, they both ended up in the Jersey swamps 5 miles west at the Meadowlands because it was cheap to build there.   The boundary between the city and Jersey is by far the most blurred sate line in the country. 

If the Giants hadn't moved to NJ 47 years ago (and the Jets 39 years ago), then yeah, bringing this up in 2023 might still be funny or a real burn to those 2 teams and their fans.  They really don't get how this makes fun of them at this point.  If you live in the city, you already knew that.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

this is kind of a myth, unless I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying.

Without NYC, WNY would be considered one of the poorer states in the country. NYC pretty much funds the rest of NY.

70+% of income tax money NY collects comes from a few counties in the NYC area alone. If anything, NYC is getting screwed. They pay a lot more and get less than we do upstate.

Upstate NY gets something like $15 billion more than what they pay every year.

Without NYC, our taxes would have to go up by 50% to make up the difference, or spending on services would have to be massively cut. 

There was talk a while back about splitting the state and thankfully it never happened because it would be a total disaster for us.

https://www.syracuse.com/politics/2019/03/5-reasons-why-splitting-new-york-would-be-a-disaster-for-upstate.html

While what you say is objectively true… That’s because New York City is the biggest city in America and takes precedence 

If New York split at the Hudson river 75 years ago… Everything east of Albany is one state

West of Albany another… You and nobody knows How western New York could’ve fared because at one point it was bustling and rich… Doing it today after all of our factories have closed? Different story 

Our politicians are pretty corrupt the last half century… It’s why the income gap in New York is getting larger and larger… They line their and the Rich’s pockets and the regular people fall… There is no bigger income gap in any state than New York… The rich are richer the poor getting poorer

And it’s the little things like having one of the largest hydroelectric plant in america And wny only gets a bit of the electricity…we could power all of WNY with the falls cleanly 

but we give away most to other areas of the state 

Edited by Buffalo716

4 hours ago, Gregg said:

There are some fans in NJ who complain about both teams having NY in their name. They want them to change it to NJJ and NJG which neither team will do. The NY brand name sells. NJ not so much.

The teams are for New York City and their suburbs which includes Northern New Jersey.  Yes they actually play in New Jersey.  Economically those teams benefit both NY and NJ.  I don't get the fascination of this point but it makes people happy.

2 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The teams are for New York City and their suburbs which includes Northern New Jersey.  Yes they actually play in New Jersey.  Economically those teams benefit both NY and NJ.  I don't get the fascination of this point but it makes people happy.

I agree I don't get it either. Some fans care. If you went to a Jets or Giants game at MetLife, you would see its split between NY and NJ license plates on the vehicles. A large portion of the Jets season ticket holders still come from Long Island.

Edited by Gregg

17 hours ago, buffblue said:

Meh. Absolutely love the City of Buffalo and the Bills, but this "thing", while technically correct, is beyond stale. East Rutherford is basically the same distance from NYC as Orchard Park is from Buffalo. 

East Rutherford is the arm pit of NYC

Orchard Park is a pleasant suburb of Buffalo

I still love the diss.... Bills are the only pro football team that plays its home games in NYS, it will never get old !

• Like (+1) 1

It's easier than that.  They are NY teams because they were founded in and spent a combined total of 75 years in the city.  Then, seeking a new stadium to play in, they both ended up in the Jersey swamps 5 miles west at the Meadowlands because it was cheap to build there.   The boundary between the city and Jersey is by far the most blurred sate line in the country. 

If the Giants hadn't moved to NJ 47 years ago (and the Jets 39 years ago), then yeah, bringing this up in 2023 might still be funny or a real burn to those 2 teams and their fans.  They really don't get how this makes fun of them at this point.  If you live in the city, you already knew that.

I live in the city and most people will argue that they play in NY because it's closer than Buffalo. When I ask if the Dodgers and SF Giants are still NY teams the discussion ends. NYers get very angry when you tell them their teams play in NJ. My main argument use to be when coming from the city I would drive by the Nets arena before I got to Giants stadium.  How is that arena in NJ and then when I pass it deeper into NJ it became NY again. Does it really matter not at all. But it bothers their fans so I like it 🤣

4 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

East Rutherford is the arm pit of NJ

Orchard Park is a pleasant suburb of Buffalo

I still love the diss.... Bills are the only pro football team that plays its home games in NYS, it will never get old !

Fixed it for you

4 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

Fixed it for you

I said it the way I meant it.....  East Rutherford is the ARM PIT of NYC... When you go there you can look across and you can see the NYC skyline, but East Rutherford is pretty much a ***** hole 

5 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Except it does and it has. It’s corny. Time to write some new material.

I still love it every single time I hear someone say it, I have no issues with it, its not old for me, and I can't wait to hear it again , and again

Be a scrooge all you want. People can make fun of them if they want. If that bothers you, maybe you need thicker skin.

With the lease at MetLife both teams can opt out after 15 years. Then they can opt out every 5 years after that. The Giants have no desire to leave NJ, but it is well known that Johnson would love to go back to NY. He did try to have a stadium built in Manhattan a few years back.  

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If it was funny, I'd agree with you.

It's not a joke it's a fact.

36 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I said it the way I meant it.....  East Rutherford is the ARM PIT of NYC... When you go there you can look across and you can see the NYC skyline, but East Rutherford is pretty much a ***** hole 

I still love it every single time I hear someone say it, I have no issues with it, its not old for me, and I can't wait to hear it again , and again

Agreed but as a NYer I don't want East Rutherford associated with NY

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Gregg said:

With the lease at MetLife both teams can opt out after 15 years. Then they can opt out every 5 years after that. The Giants have no desire to leave NJ, but it is well known that Johnson would love to go back to NY. He did try to have a stadium built in Manhattan a few years back.  

The Giants and the Jets built the stadium with their private money.  If one team walks away from the stadium "lease" the other has to remain for the remainder of the lease.

Hard to imagine they would walk away from a building they paid for after only 15 years...

3 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

When I say we I'm speaking for everyone I've met,  but that was cute. I hope you are from here otherwise move along cause you don't know what you are talking about. NJ is viewed as the little brother not as part of NYC by New Yorkers. 

The reason I do is a bit different than others. Living in NY and knowing that driving over the GW bridge means I'm going into NJ is my reasoning.

I'll help you out on where @Nextmanup is coming from with his takes here........he is one of those people who is a fan of New England pro sports teams like Red Sox and Celtics despite claiming to be a Buffalo sports fan.   New England sports teams are Buffalo's #1 geographic rival........Bruins, Celtics and Patriots because Buffalo plays or played them(or their owners traded franchises like Braves/Celtics).   Red Sox because most WNY'ers are Yankees fans.    But he feels that he can play both sides of that fence.  He even had a detailed post here trying to shame Bills fans for having a negative opinion of his fellow New England sports fans. :lol: He has a problem with borders and fandom.   If state borders matter.........it undermines his view of his own fandom.  

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Giants and the Jets built the stadium with their private money.  If one team walks away from the stadium "lease" the other has to remain for the remainder of the lease.

Hard to imagine they would walk away from a building they paid for after only 15 years...

I am not saying they will, but the option is there. Even if Johnson wanted to go back to NY, he would have to get the ball rolling on getting a new stadium built. To go through all of the political red tape to get the approval takes time. As we all saw with the Bills. 

Edited by Gregg

7 hours ago, Gregg said:

There are some fans in NJ who complain about both teams having NY in their name. They want them to change it to NJJ and NJG which neither team will do. The NY brand name sells. NJ not so much.

New Jersey exits as a place for people that work in NYC to sleep when they are not at work, you know, what exit…,

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ddaryl said:

To each their own. Enjoy this stale jibe and all the jay leno reruns in the world until you fall off your chair laughing chucklehead.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

To each their own. Enjoy this stale jibe and all the jay leno reruns in the world until you fall off your chair laughing chucklehead.

I sincerely do

16 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

Agreed but as a NYer I don't want East Rutherford associated with NY

Agree which is why we diss NY Jets and NY Giants as not being NYS teams

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.