The case for Mike Evans v DHop

Einstein's Dog

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Im just no interested in doing your googling work for you. Don’t be lazy. Here is a one time accommodation:

Yep.

And you equate this chat as Upset or in your words "Crying" ? nice try. I am sure he would of loved to keep that pick. what GM would not have. BUT he wanted insurances to get his man and he used it. At no point did he say he was "upset" about it or anything like that. Come on man :D 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

And you equate this chat as Upset or in your words "Crying" ? nice try. I am sure he would of loved to keep that pick. what GM would not have. BUT he wanted insurances to get his man and he used it. At no point did he say he was "upset" about it or anything like that. Come on man :D 

You asked for a link showing Beane showed a little frustration with having to give up a pick. I gave you one. Take your loss and move on. Or don’t. It’s pathetic either way.

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

And you equate this chat as Upset or in your words "Crying" ? nice try. I am sure he would have loved to keep that pick. what GM would not have. BUT he wanted insurances to get his man and he used it. At no point did he say he was "upset" about it or anything like that. Come on man :D 

/Ignore -  no reason to waste this much time of your life on the most redundant of dundants

• Thank you (+1) 2

I'd trade a 2nd + 6th for Evans without hesitation.  Why would TB do it? Maybe for outright tanking, but I doubt it.

A team that trades to acquire Evans in a post-June 1 trade would acquire his $13 million base salary and would need that amount of cap space to fit his contract.

TB would have to eat $ 

15 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The point is, given a choice, Evans would probably want to play the next 2-3 years in Buffalo over Tampa.  And if Tampa had a rebuilding mind-set they would probably want to get something for Evans now if they could - because he probably is not in their long term plans.

A couple of problems though.  Tampa's division stinks so the Bucs might want to have their fans think they have a shot at the division title.  Moving Evans, a fan favorite, prior to the season would give off a tank like vibe.

Evans just signed an $82.5 million last year.  His cap hit this year would be 21.4 million, next year 12.2 million.  That's too much to trade.

Tanking in the NFL is more myth than fact.  Either way, fans don't care--they still watch and show up.

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Evans just signed an $82.5 million last year.  His cap hit this year would be 21.4 million, next year 12.2 million.  That's too much to trade.

Tanking in the NFL is more myth than fact.  Either way, fans don't care--they still watch and show up.

I think you have your years wrong.  I see it as Evans signed the $82M contract in 2018, he is due $13M in base salary this year, his last year of that contract.

Godwin signed a $60M, 3 yr contract in 2022 and Gage signed a $30M, 3 yr contract in 2022.

Tampa has a WR salary problem brewing.  This wouldn't be tanking from Tampa, just managing a problem situation.  But it's a tough sell to the fan base.

31 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think you have your years wrong.  I see it as Evans signed the $82M contract in 2018, he is due $13M in base salary this year, his last year of that contract.

Godwin signed a $60M, 3 yr contract in 2022 and Gage signed a $30M, 3 yr contract in 2022.

Tampa has a WR salary problem brewing.  This wouldn't be tanking from Tampa, just managing a problem situation.  But it's a tough sell to the fan base.

Correct--signed in 2018.

Due 13 miilion this year pus about 9 million prorated bonus and 1.5 million roster bonus.

On 6/6/2023 at 7:53 AM, BillsFanForever19 said:

Mike Evans isn't available for Trade. It's always just speculation by media members for WR needy teams. Which we are not. If we were, we'd be offering Hopkins whatever it took.

Between the additions of Kincaid (as much a TE as Von is a LB), Harty, Sherfield, and Shorter and what we already had in Stefon Diggs, Gabe Davis, and Khalil Shakir - WR is only a "need" for fans who feel Gabe Davis shouldn't be on the team and require a depth chart filled with "I've heard of 'em!" players to be satisfied.

Whether or not anyone feels comfortable with how the position has been addressed - Beane does and none of those guys are going anywhere.

I have to disagree with you on one point. After Diggs, the talent level in our WR room takes a HUGE drop. If Diggs were to go down, other teams would find far more success shutting us down. We are a WR needy team for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

https://www.nfl.com/news/mike-evans-agent-sets-sept-9-deadline-in-contract-talks-with-buccaneers

From the article:

Perhaps the statement piques the interest of WR-needy teams who would be comfortable paying Evans' asking price, and the Bucs welcome the chance to trade the wideout before losing him next year. Surely, a smart shark will make a call to check.

The Mike Evans train out of Tampa is picking up steam.  Gabe better display an elevated game early in the season or else acquiring Evans could be on the table.

People who did just start getting their minds, wrapped around the fact that we are not going to be able to replace with high price free agents

These are going to come through the draft, just like Dalton Kincaid came through the draft. He was the first step in starting to replace high contracts

Very unlikely that we are able to keep Gabe Davis probably going to use our first round pick on a wide receiver next year, and that wide receiver is going to have to play

• Like (+1) 1

While very unlikely, this is a move that would really give us competitive advantage on offense.

I suppose it’s possible Evans is traded if he & TB know they won’t reach a new deal.

perhaps around the time of the London game we could look to make an offer.

Diggs

Evans

Davis

Kincaid

Cook

is top tier weaponry.

I’d bet it’s more likely Gabe Davis is extended in the coming weeks

(much to the dismay of some fans) 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/mike-evans-landing-spots-cowboys-chiefs-jets-among-potential-fits-for-buccaneers-pro-bowl-wr/

No mention of the Bills, but I don't see how Dallas and NYJ are considered more likely candidates.

If Gabe doesn't show that he should be extended, then Beane needs to consider alternatives.

from article:

Given what his agent recently stated, Evans wants to continue playing for a team that pursuing championships. Evans, whose career will undoubtedly receive Hall of Fame consideration one day, would probably accept a smaller role on a team that has a good chance at winning it all. 

Edited by Einstein's Dog
addition

10 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/mike-evans-landing-spots-cowboys-chiefs-jets-among-potential-fits-for-buccaneers-pro-bowl-wr/

No mention of the Bills, but I don't see how Dallas and NYJ are considered more likely candidates.

Didn't Aaron Rodgers re-do his contract and gave back $33m?  Enough money for D Cook & Evans. Would be a great fit there 

19 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

Didn't Aaron Rodgers re-do his contract and gave back $33m?  Enough money for D Cook & Evans. Would be a great fit there 

Really would not be thrilled if Mike Evans ends up with Jets.  Their roster (aside from O-Line) would be filthy.

Maybe Josh should re-do his contract…

Edited by Playoffs?
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.