The case for Mike Evans v DHop

Einstein's Dog

24 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I disagree, Evans makes it to 15k yards and he is a lock.

Evans already has a signature calling card -  over 10 years (every year in the league), over 1,000 yards each year.  Not many, if any, WRs can say that.

For HOF purposes, continuing that impressive 1,000 yard streak and hitting 15k total should be the prime considerations.

14-15 straight seasons of 1000+ yards??  lol that's never happened----and it's certainly  not going to happen on the Bills.  Not sure why you think he's going to get all those looks for 5 full years at the tail end of his career.  It's just not gonna happen.  Bills with too many weapons.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Isaac Bruce as part of one of the greatest Offenses ever.  Evans...not.  He would need 110+ targets a season min on the Bills for 5 years, entering his 10th year.  Your calculus has him getting 110 targets at least into his 14th season.  nah.

Even i....., in 10+ years, when Evens would be eligible, by your math, 15k probably won't be enough for the HOF anymore.

It's yards, not targets, that are the driving stat.  

While in 10-15 years 15k yardage alone may not be enough.  The short elevator pitch of over 15k yards, and over 10 (at least) straight 1,000 yard seasons, and a ring (at least one), will do it.  It's not like they will have too many of those where they have to weed them out - DHop won't have that, Diggs will be fighting for it.

Just now, Einstein's Dog said:

It's yards, not targets, that are the driving stat.  

While in 10-15 years 15k yardage alone may not be enough.  The short elevator pitch of over 15k yards, and over 10 (at least) straight 1,000 yard seasons, and a ring (at least one), will do it.  It's not like they will have too many of those where they have to weed them out - DHop won't have that, Diggs will be fighting for it.

It would take at least that many targets for him to crack 1000......

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

14-15 straight seasons of 1000+ yards??  lol that's never happened----and it's certainly  not going to happen on the Bills.  Not sure why you think he's going to get all those looks for 5 full years at the tail end of his career.  It's just not gonna happen.  Bills with too many weapons.

Now you're starting to see just how special the career Evans has been putting together.  HOF worthy start.

So you think the Bills have too many weapons.  Remember when Tampa had Godwin/Evans/Gage/and Gronk (with Brate backup).  Evans still got his 1k.  The Bills would have Diggs/Evans/Davis/and Knox (with Kincaid backup).  Evans would get his 1k.

Evans is worth more to Tampa than the compensation they’d get for him currently. I don’t see any reason they’d deal him now. That division is still pretty bad and if Trask or even Baker can just be a plus game manager they can still compete. Now if they come out and go 2-5 or something to start it might make sense to shop some veterans. 

6 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Now you're starting to see just how special the career Evans has been putting together.  HOF worthy start.

So you think the Bills have too many weapons.  Remember when Tampa had Godwin/Evans/Gage/and Gronk (with Brate backup).  Evans still got his 1k.  The Bills would have Diggs/Evans/Davis/and Knox (with Kincaid backup).  Evans would get his 1k.

Not a HOF end.  It's never been done.  Far better WRs (in the HOF) never did it.  

16 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Evans is worth more to Tampa than the compensation they’d get for him currently. I don’t see any reason they’d deal him now. That division is still pretty bad and if Trask or even Baker can just be a plus game manager they can still compete. Now if they come out and go 2-5 or something to start it might make sense to shop some veterans. 

A reason Tampa might move Evans now is because the deal presented to them by the Bills might have a limited time frame on it.  The Bills might want Evans in from the beginning of the season.  Or the Bills are floating out an offer before they up their offer to DHop.

Tampa might want to move him now because Evans is not in their long term plans.  Tampa already has too much invested in the WR group and will not be able to offer an aging veteran the market rate he deserves.  Generally, the longer you wait, the less you get.

The realization that Tampa is going to stink may have been confirmed to them through the OTA performance

33 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not a HOF end.  It's never been done.  Far better WRs (in the HOF) never did it.  

But now you are able to see that Evans is a potential HOFer right?  Stats are right up there, if not slightly better than, those of DHop and Diggs.

12 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Bolded

Show me one link where he showed frustration about spending that 4th to move up?

He mentioned it in multiple press conferences.

Onvioisly he came to the conclusion that it was worth it to trade the pick, but he said several times that he didn't want to have to do it.

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

A reason Tampa might move Evans now is because the deal presented to them by the Bills might have a limited time frame on it.  The Bills might want Evans in from the beginning of the season.  Or the Bills are floating out an offer before they up their offer to DHop.

Tampa might want to move him now because Evans is not in their long term plans.  Tampa already has too much invested in the WR group and will not be able to offer an aging veteran the market rate he deserves.  Generally, the longer you wait, the less you get.

The realization that Tampa is going to stink may have been confirmed to them through the OTA performance

But now you are able to see that Evans is a potential HOFer right?  Stats are right up there, if not slightly better than, those of DHop and Diggs.

Well then every current top 10 WR is a "potential HOFer".  so what?  I disagree that Mike Evans, of all WR in the history of the NFL, is the only one who will have ever put together 14-15 1000+ seasons.

Your claim begs the question: if he's headed to the Hall with those numbers....and he's amassed them all in Tampa---why wouldn't he just stay there and keep racking up 1000+ seasons?  He's much more likely to achieve that record in Tampa than in Buffalo.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Onvioisly he came to the conclusion that it was worth it to trade the pick, but he said several times that he didn't want to have to do it.

and most pressers are recorded and yet... You can not find one link. Yea.... enough said. 

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

I think it’s fair to say that he didn’t want to trade the pick, but the player was just too good to pass up

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well then every current top 10 WR is a "potential HOFer".  so what?  I disagree that Mike Evans, of all WR in the history of the NFL, is the only one who will have ever put together 14-15 1000+ seasons.

Your claim begs the question: if he's headed to the Hall with those numbers....and he's amassed them all in Tampa---why wouldn't he just stay there and keep racking up 1000+ seasons?  He's much more likely to achieve that record in Tampa than in Buffalo.

Now you're begrudgingly starting to see the light, remember you started with "lol....the 20-teens HOF??"  At the 10 year mark, Evans credentials are above both DHop and Diggs, Evans is on track for the HOF.

Mike Evans has gone over 1,000 yards each of the 10 seasons he has been in the league, that is rare company already.  If he makes it to 15 in a row he probably will be the only one (Jerry Rice didn't, I Bruce didn't, I didn't check them all).

The reason I said he was a potential HOFer was twofold.  First, to indicate that M Evans is good.  Evans would upgrade our roster in a significant way.  Secondly as a potential HOFer the Bills situation could be appealing to him to obtain the statistics he needs to secure the bid.

Evans is not more likely to get 1000 yard seasons in Tampa than Buffalo.  Tampa is a dumpster fire, their OL is terrible, there is competition in the WR room, and worst of all, their QB in none other than "WR killer" Mayfield (just ask OBJ).  In Buffalo as WR2, Evans would easily surpass the 1,000 yard mark (it's 17 games now).

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Now you're begrudgingly starting to see the light, remember you started with "lol....the 20-teens HOF??"  At the 10 year mark, Evans credentials are above both DHop and Diggs, Evans is on track for the HOF.

Mike Evans has gone over 1,000 yards each of the 10 seasons he has been in the league, that is rare company already.  If he makes it to 15 in a row he probably will be the only one (Jerry Rice didn't, I Bruce didn't, I didn't check them all).

The reason I said he was a potential HOFer was twofold.  First, to indicate that M Evans is good.  Evans would upgrade our roster in a significant way.  Secondly as a potential HOFer the Bills situation could be appealing to him to obtain the statistics he needs to secure the bid.

Evans is not more likely to get 1000 yard seasons in Tampa than Buffalo.  Tampa is a dumpster fire, their OL is terrible, there is competition in the WR room, and worst of all, their QB in none other than "WR killer" Mayfield (just ask OBJ).  In Buffalo as WR2, Evans would easily surpass the 1,000 yard mark (it's 17 games now).

I've said this at least twice already.  None of the best have ever done this. Why?  Because after 10 years, most of them see their productivity fall off.  Why would Evans be different? He's not better than Larry Fitzgerald, Terrell Owens,  Tim Brown....and he's nowhere near the WR that Moss was.  

Yes, Diggs in "on track for the HOF".  So is DHop. So is Tyreek Hill.  So is Julio Jones. So is Michael Thomas no?  And Justin Jefferson is already a HOFer, pretty much, am I right?!

Anyway..Mayfield didn't kill OBJs career...

No one here has said Evans isn't "good".  That's not a point worth making.

So now "competition in the WR room" is a reason he won't get 1000 in Tampa?  You just said that wasn't true 3 posts ago. 

Evans got big numbers with bums at QB his whole career there, but for 3 with Brady----and those were 3 of Evans's 4 lowest yardage years (he hasn't played 17 games the last 2 seasons, by the way).  Why can't he now?

4 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

and most pressers are recorded and yet... You can not find one link. Yea.... enough said. 

Im just no interested in doing your googling work for you. Don’t be lazy. Here is a one time accommodation:

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think it’s fair to say that he didn’t want to trade the pick, but the player was just too good to pass up

Yep.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

So now "competition in the WR room" is a reason he won't get 1000 in Tampa?  You just said that wasn't true 3 posts ago. 

Evans got big numbers with bums at QB his whole career there, but for 3 with Brady----and those were 3 of Evans's 4 lowest yardage years (he hasn't played 17 games the last 2 seasons, by the way).  Why can't he now?

The point is, given a choice, Evans would probably want to play the next 2-3 years in Buffalo over Tampa.  And if Tampa had a rebuilding mind-set they would probably want to get something for Evans now if they could - because he probably is not in their long term plans.

A couple of problems though.  Tampa's division stinks so the Bucs might want to have their fans think they have a shot at the division title.  Moving Evans, a fan favorite, prior to the season would give off a tank like vibe.

If the Bills can get Evans for a third and a conditional late round pick in 2025 I am all for it. Evans is coming off a productive season and still has a good deal left in the tank. The Bucs are rebuilding so getting a third now and an additional late round pick is better than waiting on a possible conditional pick that may never come.

The only issue is fitting Evans under the cap and would Tampa want more than just a 3rd and a conditional 6th?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The point is, given a choice, Evans would probably want to play the next 2-3 years in Buffalo over Tampa.  And if Tampa had a rebuilding mind-set they would probably want to get something for Evans now if they could - because he probably is not in their long term plans.

A couple of problems though.  Tampa's division stinks so the Bucs might want to have their fans think they have a shot at the division title.  Moving Evans, a fan favorite, prior to the season would give off a tank like vibe.

The Bucs would be smart to trade Evans. Without Brady they are giving off a tank vibe and they might as well get something decent for Evans. Ideally I would want a 2nd plus a future late round pick. 

Tampa had a two year window to win a title and they got one with Brady. Now they are better off selling the value that remains from that team and eating the dead cap now and handing the team over to a new coach with a boat load of cap space and some extra draft picks to work with 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.