Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It will be $45m as long as they don't cut bait after 2023. 

Sorry... will be almost $40m guaranteed if they don't cut bait after 2023. The final $5.5m guarantees at the start of the league year in 2025.

I do understand what the cap hit  looks like and I expect him to get all his money if not traded, but it will not be the devastating gut punch I had feared originally if he plays like Marcell Dareus from now on, MD after his big contract.

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I am sure Beane delegates the actual structure of the contracts to someone and whoever that someone is that comes up with this stuff is worth whatever he wants in terms of compensation in the front office.

That someone is Jim Overdorf and he’s one of the best at structuring contracts and managing the cap. 

• Agree 1

On 6/8/2023 at 11:52 AM, Big Turk said:

So he doesn't like the Bills getting him for 2 years at cap hits less than what he would have been this year?

I think it was brilliant, and the Bills have an out or restructure ability after 2 years in place.

People seem to forget if at all over, goes out there and has a huge season. We wouldn’t even be able to afford him. He would be looking at money like the top defensive tackles in the league.

I think the bills are taking a bit of a gamble here but I like the gamble it gave us relief this year, which allowed us to get Leonard Floyd on board and that shows that they’re pushing some chips into the middle of the table here and if it pans out, they will look very smart as that contract is not even going to be middle top money soon 

On 6/9/2023 at 9:46 PM, K-9 said:

That someone is Jim Overdorf and he’s one of the best at structuring contracts and managing the cap. 

Good to know. I've heard him spoken highly of by Chris brown and Steve tasker but didn't know what his responsibilities are.

On 6/13/2023 at 1:23 AM, John from Riverside said:

People seem to forget if at all over, goes out there and has a huge season. We wouldn’t even be able to afford him. He would be looking at money like the top defensive tackles in the league.

I think the bills are taking a bit of a gamble here but I like the gamble it gave us relief this year, which allowed us to get Leonard Floyd on board and that shows that they’re pushing some chips into the middle of the table here and if it pans out, they will look very smart as that contract is not even going to be middle top money soon 

Well thank God we don't have to worry about him having a huge season now then

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/10/2023 at 2:46 AM, K-9 said:

Actually as I understand it Kevin Meganck is the lead day to day contract negotiator and capologist now. Jim stepped back a little 2 years ago. He is still around as an advisor but Meganck who was formerlly his assistant is now the principle guy. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/9/2023 at 9:46 PM, K-9 said:

Thankfully Beane recognized his talents when they were cleaning house after Rùss Brandon, Nix and Whaley.   Another reason to be glad Ralph was cheap!  

On 6/13/2023 at 7:23 AM, John from Riverside said:

Then some other team can pay for one huge year out of 5 for the 9th overall pick.

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Actually as I understand it Kevin Meganck is the lead day to day contract negotiator and capologist now. Jim stepped back a little 2 years ago. He is still around as an advisor but Meganck who was formerlly his assistant is now the principle guy. 

Jim was in the office all that week lending his advice to the process and hammering out details. Much like he was on the Miller deal last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would like to see Meat Ball be hired as DL advisor and work with Oliver more. Oliver has that explosion off the line but he doesn’t have the timing that Meat Ball had. 

Im Surprised we haven’t seen him more at camp and practices. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, richNjoisy said:

Well,  the Oliver deal now looks more reasonable

Not really. There are no valid comparasions between these two guys. Williams is light years better than Oliver. Thus, the salary difference is valid. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 4

14 minutes ago, richNjoisy said:

Well,  the Oliver deal now looks more reasonable

Drafting the 8th best DL in the 2019 draft at #9 overall continues to be less than impressive.

This is the difference between us and the Bengals.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.