D-line coach Eric Washington’s comments on Ed Oliver — hoo boy

dave mcbride

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

Interesting thought experiment.

One could make the argument that this current roster (outside of Allen) is not much better than some of our playoff-drought teams.

Put Josh Allen with Lee Evans, Eric Moulds, Travis Henry, Pat Williams, Aaron Schobel, London Fletcher, Takeo Spikes, Nate Clements, Terrence McGee, Lawyer Milloy, etc.

I may pick that squad to beat our current team.

Or put Josh Allen with Fred Jackson, Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Kyle Williams, Prime Jerry Hughes, Mario Williams, Stephon Gilmore, Aaron Williams, Preston Brown, Darby, etc. 

Thats a playoff squad. Even without Allen they were only 1 game out of the playoffs.

But whatever - Beane isn’t the first GM to ride the coat tails of one homerun pick.

Exactly!

Now, pick any QBs from those eras and put 'em on this team in place of Allen.  

How would we be? 

42 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

IIRC, Beane was lauded for stealing a fifth round pick trading some scrub named Wyatt Teller …. Oops!

Everything's some shrewd move, until it isn't.  

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Riiight, cuz 3 straight Division titles and routinely among the Top 5 Defensive rankings means more work needs to be done.🤦‍♂️

Given the investment made in the draft investment made in the D line you would expect at least a couple of top draftees to be really good and maybe a late rounder to surprise. Outside of Groot, who one still has reasonable hopes for, who has done that?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Going to do a little bit of defending Ed here.  

I’m sorry.  I’ve said it since the season ended.  The D line coach of this team is ultimately responsible for getting the most out of these guys.  And every year since Washington has been here the group has gotten worse.  

Sure there are signs AJ may be improving some.  I think.  Basham is looking like a career jag.  Ed - how much better had he gotten?  Is he not “getting it” because the coach hasn’t figured out how to get it out of him?

If Washington had a record as D line coach that you look at and say “yea this is definitely on Ed” but I can’t say that.   

And actually making these comments publicly - a position coach - seems awfully defensive about his job performance imo.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Maybe. But on the other side, Beane can specifically go out of his way to support a guy like Edmunds, to say that they wanted to keep him but couldn't make it work reasonably, and some of you would (and have over and over) found a way to not believe it and try desperately to make it sound bad.

Fair point. And I agree.

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The coach here specifically went out of his way to point to specific but solveable problems, and for you that's apparently "the player sucks."

That's not what I said though. At all.

My point was, based on the ideology of certain posters and their tendencies to excuse-away anything even remotely critical, EVEN IF a coach were to blare into a megaphone "the player sucks", they still wouldn't believe it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/2/2023 at 8:27 AM, dave mcbride said:

He’s saying he’s basically a moron (or at least plays like a moron on the football field). 

He certainly did not say he’s a moron

He said he needs to use his experience better… And understand small nuances to be ahead of the play instead of reacting

And that will make him take the next step

Next step could be a big Time season… That’s far from calling him an idiot who tries hard 

That’s called external motivation

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He certainly did not say he’s a moron

He said he needs to use his experience better… And understand small nuances to be ahead of the play instead of reacting

And that will make him take the next step

Next step could be a big Time season… That’s far from calling him an idiot who tries hard 

That’s called external motivation

That "motivation" just evaporated as he signed the Dareus contract...

On 6/2/2023 at 10:08 AM, 34-78-83 said:

Everything that made Kyle Williams a very good player is what is holding back Ed. Kyle learned how to read the key indicators being presented by the opponent and use them to his advantage. Things like what kind of stance an opponent is in, if he leaning forward or back or tilted slightly in a direction, what a man in motion means on the play and how that changes where the ball might go, etc. etc. It's not that Ed is too dumb to pick that up, and its not that he's not studying film (he wouldn't play if he didn't), its more that he has not made it to the advanced levels of studying film that give some of these guys an edge. Being "late" when you're "light" more often than not spells trouble post-snap.

And they should offer him a job in training camp / preseason working with linemen.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/2/2023 at 10:27 PM, dave mcbride said:

He’s saying he’s basically a moron (or at least plays like a moron on the football field). 

‘Moron’ getting paid..

hoo boy

2 hours ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

Is this his contract year? Not worrying about his performance this year.

Was his contract year

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Going to do a little bit of defending Ed here.  

I’m sorry.  I’ve said it since the season ended.  The D line coach of this team is ultimately responsible for getting the most out of these guys.  And every year since Washington has been here the group has gotten worse.  

Sure there are signs AJ may be improving some.  I think.  Basham is looking like a career jag.  Ed - how much better had he gotten?  Is he not “getting it” because the coach hasn’t figured out how to get it out of him?

If Washington had a record as D line coach that you look at and say “yea this is definitely on Ed” but I can’t say that.   

And actually making these comments publicly - a position coach - seems awfully defensive about his job performance imo.  

As soon as I post this — $$$$$

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

If the McKittrick haterz got him run outta town for lack of situational awareness, than Eddie O should not be far behind.  We need to free up that 10M to get DHop, a backup OT, etc.  Ed Oliver is a DD on the Bust Chart.

Ahh, the good ol days 🍻

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/2/2023 at 8:04 AM, dave mcbride said:

,“Just continue to play the game as much as possible from the neck up. When you have the kind of talent Ed has, you have to understand situations that could mean the difference between separating yourself from the opponent (and saying), ‘I have to able to process very, very quickly so I can win my one-on-one so I can play ahead of the play as opposed to playing with the sequence of that particular play.’

“With Ed, from an experience standpoint, we need him to play ahead as opposed to with the tempo of the play so (understanding) situations, certain nuances with certain calls and understanding where he can take advantage based on his position (is important).”

Hooboy. And wow. And yikes.

Reading between the words isn’t required to interrupt what Washington was saying, right?

Understanding situations … Process very, very quickly. … Play ahead of the play.

If it reads to you as if Washington wants Oliver to do more video study and be more committed to during-the-week preparation in order to perform better in games – that was 100% my lean once I transcribed the quote.’

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/ryan-ohalloran-to-hear-bills-tell-it-ed-olivers-final-chance-to-earn-long-term/article_cc3f0636-009a-11ee-8d28-c3fb3d9ee3df.html

This did not age well

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Maybe. But on the other side, Beane can specifically go out of his way to support a guy like Edmunds, to say that they wanted to keep him but couldn't make it work reasonably, and some of you would (and have over and over) found a way to not believe it and try desperately to make it sound bad.

The coach here specifically went out of his way to point to specific but solveable problems, and for you that's apparently "the player sucks."

If anyone's running on confirmation bias it's guys trying to pretend a megaphone was used here, and then trying to pretend that when Beane actually did use a megaphone we shouldn't pay attention because he clearly didn't mean it as it doesn't line up with the posters' narratives.

My goodness indeeed.

omg preach on.. ty... 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.