Nyheim Hines gets it, better than the coaches, better than the GM.

Chaos

4 hours ago, White Linen said:

Not that you're saying this but my issue isn't that he runs when he feels the timing is right or to make a play or that he even runs when there's a target he didn't see open.

It's that he does that and then the coaches call additional run plays for him.  Ridiculous,  IMO.  That's where I get frustrated with their comments and some posters here.

I love the designed Allen runs.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

8 hours ago, Chaos said:

Listening to Nyheim Hines on XM radio NFL channel today was very encouraging.  He was asked about whether or not Josh Allen should be running less.  And his response was perfect. (paraphrasing here).  Hines said : Its the job of the coaches and the rest of the offense to protect Allen and play better, so there is no reason for him to run.    The correct response and far more on point the McDermotts and Beanes off-season whining on this subject. 

Amazing insights from this young man.   When we traded for Hines, I thought we were just getting a really solid punt and KO return guy…who would have guessed that we had landed a football savant, a modern day Bill Parcells?  Since apparently no one told Dorsey that Hines was on the roster, perhaps the plan all along was to slot him in this year as an assistant head coach, or perhaps Hines is the one who’s been whispering in Terry Pegula’s ear…

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Steve Tasker made the point on their show that it’s a rare occurrence that QBs suffer major injuries from running, and most happen when the passer is standing in the pocket, scanning the field for a receiver.  I’ve always had that same view. 
Josh is a big boy and can take hits better than some.  I’m more concerned about his carelessness with the ball. 

Reading between the lines of his press conference statements, it’s clear that the coaching staff has read him the riot act about some of his overly loose play. 
On one hand, we don’t want to stop Josh from being Josh. But on the other, a little more discipline and communication with his offense will hopefully lead to an unstoppable offense. 
Teams in our division are not sitting idle and handing the crown to the Bills. Josh and everyone else need to continue improving to stay ahead. 
I think it would be a huge mistake to overly restrict his running. That’s a threat opposing defenses have to be aware of. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Hines ... he's that pass-catching running back that Beane coveted so much after McKissick threw the screws to the Bills.

He's also that pass-catching running back who Father McDermott and his altar boy Kenny Dorsey turned into a special teamer.

Hines knows the deal ...

He wants to be more involved on the offense.  Felt the lack of practice together with the offense hurt his ability to get engaged.

8 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Allen refuses to check it down. Been saying this since his rookie year. The check downs would negate his reason to run

Honestly, checking down doesn’t seem to be his strength here.  I have no statistical evidence of course 😂, but I seem to recall mor than the usual number of errant passes on the check down attempts 

• Agree 1

Josh has sustained two “significant” injuries in his tenure as Bills’ QB.  Both to his arm, and both in the pocket.

Yes, he suffered a mild concussion against the Pats*** in 2019 when running, but in the three years since he has not been injured running the ball.

When Josh says he needs to adjust his style of play, he’s talking about not taking unnecessary hits (i.e., not running out of bounds or sliding) and not being careless with the football.  That’s exactly what McD is saying as well.  It’s not about “not running the football.”

Beane knows the OL didn’t do Josh any favors last year, and he went about improving the offense around him.  If the OL improves, and if Josh has confidence in the added pieces, he won’t need to run as much as he has in the past, but his running will still be a weapon the Bills should not be afraid to utilize.

The OP, in my opinion, completely misses the mark in yet another not-so-subtly veiled attempt at criticizing the organization.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, eball said:

Josh has sustained two “significant” injuries in his tenure as Bills’ QB.  Both to his arm, and both in the pocket.

Yes, he suffered a mild concussion against the Pats*** in 2019 when running, but in the three years since he has not been injured running the ball.

When Josh says he needs to adjust his style of play, he’s talking about not taking unnecessary hits (i.e., not running out of bounds or sliding) and not being careless with the football.  That’s exactly what McD is saying as well.  It’s not about “not running the football.”

Beane knows the OL didn’t do Josh any favors last year, and he went about improving the offense around him.  If the OL improves, and if Josh has confidence in the added pieces, he won’t need to run as much as he has in the past, but his running will still be a weapon the Bills should not be afraid to utilize.

The OP, in my opinion, completely misses the mark in yet another not-so-subtly veiled attempt at criticizing the organization.

Exactly correct on Josh, McDermott and the OP.  I’ll add that the concussion was the result of obvious uncalled targeting which can happen in or out of the pocket.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, julian said:

17 is the current NFL QB Ironman while many fans and media types are using his physical play style and rushing abilities as reasons for fear and trepidation.

You’re watching an absolute unicorn beast, the likes of which has never been seen with his combination of physical gifts. 

Sorry to break it to those who insist he change, not gonna happen. I for one hope he never does.

While I agree the scrambling to make another 1st down from a breakdown just won’t change, the coaches and team can do something about designed runs.

That previous luxury can be reserved for the playoffs and on the critical 3rd and 13.  If he doesn’t do it all year, it would be the perfect time in an AFCCG, when the SB is on the line.

As far as Hines comments, I’m not placing every last persons quotes under a microscope as that is an exercise in futility, but the positive is Hines is accepting the team needs to be more effective so as for Josh not forced to play hero ball.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Chaos said:

Listening to Nyheim Hines on XM radio NFL channel today was very encouraging.  He was asked about whether or not Josh Allen should be running less.  And his response was perfect. (paraphrasing here).  Hines said : Its the job of the coaches and the rest of the offense to protect Allen and play better, so there is no reason for him to run.    The correct response and far more on point the McDermotts and Beanes off-season whining on this subject. 

I get the feeling what Beane and McDermott said went way over your head. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

Isn't that a little contradictory there?  

I mean Beane had 5 offseasons & drafts to see to it that the OL did do Josh some favors.  But Beane's beyond criticism?  

9 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I mean Beane had 5 offseasons & drafts to see to it that the OL did do Josh some favors.  But Beane's beyond criticism?  

Anybody really said bean is beyond criticism

As a whole, he has been outstanding that doesn’t mean that he hasn’t had some flub ups along the way

2 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Honestly, checking down doesn’t seem to be his strength here.  I have no statistical evidence of course 😂, but I seem to recall mor than the usual number of errant passes on the check down attempts 

IMO, the check down problems weren't all on Josh though, more a combination.  There were times the pass seemed too hot (or unexpected), other times it seemed too floated - so the D was able to react for minimal gain.  And other times the short routes (ie Cook/Shakir) seemed run incorrectly.  And finally sometimes the short routes had inexplicable drops (McKenzie).  All leading to a lack of trust and chemistry.

Hope this can be fixed.  Whole offseason with some different players to fix this.  Would add a lot to the effectiveness of the overall functioning of the offense.

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Who said Beane was beyond criticism?  The point is that they aren’t trying to tell Josh not to run, and Beane obviously acknowledged they need to put better pieces around him.  It’s really not that hard to understand.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Anybody really said bean is beyond criticism

As a whole, he has been outstanding that doesn’t mean that he hasn’t had some flub ups along the way

I was inquiring about his last statement, which seems to imply that he is beyond criticism.  

I know that when I point it out, namely the status of the OL and how it's been pretty bad throughout Beane's tenure, I get hammered.  

And then great, if he's not beyond criticism, then let's address that criticism then, which is pretty significant considering the biggest offensive issue on the team, namely Allen, and frankly, what this thread is implicitly all about.  

So then why are you deflecting that criticism now?  

8 minutes ago, eball said:

Who said Beane was beyond criticism?  The point is that they aren’t trying to tell Josh not to run, and Beane obviously acknowledged they need to put better pieces around him.  It’s really not that hard to understand.

What's also not difficult to understand, I don't think, at least not for some, is exactly what I said above.  I'll repeat it ... 

We run fewer designed running plays by RBs than any team in the league.  That's a fact.  

Yet our RBs ranked 3rd in YPC avg. last season.  

Maybe you have some answers, seriously.  Does Josh audible of most of the called running plays?   Why do we have that distinction?  

I'm all ears.  

I want Allen to take less punishment, that’s for sure. A better o-line should help with that. 

Do I want Allen to run less? Kinda. Maybe take out some of the designed runs unless we absolutely need them. 

But when the play breaks down and he has a hole, I want him to take it. That part of his game is what separates him from the others imo. Dudes a Mac truck truck with moves. Utilize that. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.