Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Is Tannehill definitely the starter this coming season?

Considering Willis has already been said to look better than Levis, I don't think they are going to throw away Tanny just yet.

Edited by The Wiz

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

Considering Willis has already been said to look better than Levis, I don't think they are going to throw away Tanny just yet.

Dang, forgot about Levis.  That's 2-day 2 QBs they've taken in successive drafts.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

At least he's not in our division. Also who's going to throw the ball to him?

Dearest Mother,

Perhaps Colonel Vrabel would be interested in my offering my services as a grizzled (gristled?) veteran of western campaigns?

Your obedient son,

Andrew

'GOAT'?

image.thumb.jpeg.4c4d0503780ef8e55a001663be257977.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

$12 million in year one.

The combined cap hits of Poyer, Settle, and Hines this year is $12,674,000. Or replace any of those 3 players with Neal or Harty to get the same result. Or just 2 of the mentioned players plus a restructure of White or Dawkins.

That's the frustrating part. This contract was easily manageable and it would have barely impacted our future cap situation beyond 2023.

Starting to get on the Beane sucks train. Our lack of star impact players in rounds 1 and 2 and lack of receiving talent is actually becoming crippling.

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Doc said:

He probably cares about both.  Hopkins has made $111.6M in his career just from football alone.  Two years likely brings him to the end of his career and also likely without a ring, garbage or otherwise. 

And the Titans will have to face the Jags, who many are touting as a contender.  It potentially helps knock them down a bit.

McCoy has garbage rings. Hopkins would have actually been a contributor here so I guess it would have been different here. But I never blame any nfl player for getting every cent they can. It blows my mind that Daniel Jones will make more in his career than Hopkins. 

Honestly Titans- Jags games will be good matchups. But on paper, each of those teams get a chance at 4 east wins this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Would have liked Hopkins but It isn’t the end of the world, the Bills clearly liked what they had on the roster to not make a huge offer for Dhop. If the WR group needs a boost in season the team will have some options to address that via trade.

Eh, their hands were tied financially. I like the hope of these new guys but looking at their careers, wild to get overly optimistic on them. 

34 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

$12 million in year one.

The combined cap hits of Poyer, Settle, and Hines this year is $12,674,000. Or replace any of those 3 players with Neal or Harty to get the same result. Or just 2 of the mentioned players plus a restructure of White or Dawkins.

That's the frustrating part. This contract was easily manageable and it would have barely impacted our future cap situation beyond 2023.

You could do this exercise for almost every NFL team, KC included.  OR pick another player (similar to Dhop at OL, etc) and do the same drill.

Bottom line, Beane likes his acquisitions and players we already had entering this season to build upon.   He could have made that deal work if he truly wanted. 

Doesn't make it right or wrong yet, can see how this season unfolds and point to this if it indeed holds us back. 

But let's not pretend the #2 offense in the NFL was truly "in need" right now.  We had room to improve, but we lost games when it counted because of defensive meltdowns, poor playcalling/schemes, and just lack of focus/poor execution.  We've been outplayed in the trenches, past 3 playoff seasons. Josh bailed out the OL against the Chiefs in 2021, otherwise we've had the same consistent problems.  Once again, I think it will come down to our OL giving Josh more time and our DL creating more pressure (or least not getting gashed in the run game).

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

$12 million in year one.

They didn’t want him.

39 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Nobody should begrudged these guys getting their money when they can. I certainly don't. But let's call it like it is. Dude is nearing the end is chasing the bag, not a championship. If you really think that Tennessee is a legit contender despite playing in a weak division, you are delusional. I never thought he was coming to the Bills and I'm just glad this whole thing is finally over and done.

Haha, you sound delusional. Last year was the first losing season of Vrabels career. He is a top 5 coach in the nfl. I think Tannehill is not good but he is a game manager who hands off to a beast of a rb and their receivers, who were completely garbage, now added a guy who wasn’t too long ago considered the best receiver in football plus a 1st round guy last year. 

again, the Tannehill butt cheek factor is high but it would be stupid to underestimate them. 

• Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

McCoy has garbage rings. Hopkins would have actually been a contributor here so I guess it would have been different here. But I never blame any nfl player for getting every cent they can. It blows my mind that Daniel Jones will make more in his career than Hopkins. 

Honestly Titans- Jags games will be good matchups. But on paper, each of those teams get a chance at 4 east wins this year. 

He probably won't.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They didn’t want him.

So if Hopkins took significantly less to come to Buffalo , they wouldnt want him???! Wild take 

Just now, FireChans said:

He probably won't.

I’d love to bet this. I think Jones sucks but if he evens get bottom starter money after this contract, he will pass Hopkins.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So if Hopkins took significantly less to come to Buffalo , they wouldnt want him???! Wild take 

I’d love to bet this. I think Jones sucks but if he evens get bottom starter money after this contract, he will pass Hopkins.

If you want something you’re willing to pay for it. 

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They structured his deal intentionally so that they have an out in 2 years. Which makes his contract ripe for a restructure or just being flat out cut.

Besides, DJ got drafted in the top 10 and Hopkins was the bottom of the first. Which is why he had a $20M head start.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.