Which Bills players are “Make-It or Break-It” for 2023?

JohnNord

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Make the AFCCG at the very least. 

And if we lose for the same reasons we last the last one (dreadful coaching), then I’d be all for him being gone. 

It really depends on why the Bills didn’t make it to the Super Bowl. The Bills’ post-season elimination games during the McDermott era have not been pretty and blame it squarely on coaching. 

I don’t think I’m being unreasonable. 

The only one I put squarely on coaching is the 2021 Divisional game. Coaching gets overblamed for all the othet playoff losses which have been player losses first and foremost.

• Agree 3

22 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

I think Oliver is gone regardless. He will want top 5 money and even if he plays top 5 this year Beane won't trust him to do so going forward.

The rest of them I see being here for multiple years as long as they want to be and their salary demands match their contributions to the team.

The other issue with Oliver is I think players who are given the 5th year option, but then not signed long term, tend to have a chip on their shoulder to some extent for the team and will tend to have a mind set of they didn't want to commit to me, so I'm not going to commit to them either.

Add to that like in Edmunds case, it's always a bit suspicious when a player has his best season in a contract year.

The one thing in Oliver's favor though is no DT are signed beyond this year so they may try a little harder to sign him.  Don't think he's a bad player, just not playing like a top 10 drafted pick.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The other issue with Oliver is I think players who are given the 5th year option, but then not signed long term, tend to have a chip on their shoulder to some extent for the team and will tend to have a mind set of they didn't want to commit to me, so I'm not going to commit to them either.

Add to that like in Edmunds case, it's always a bit suspicious when a player has his best season in a contract year.

The one thing in Oliver's favor though is no DT are signed beyond this year so they may try a little harder to sign him.  Don't think he's a bad player, just not playing like a top 10 drafted pick.

I think they would keep him, obviously he's an average to above average starter. 

Sadly I think without a blockbuster contract he walks, in his mind he's a top 10 pick and deserves top money.

12 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think we are going to start seeing a trend of a higher % of athletes staying successful longer.  Not saying this is DaQuan but players are taking care of themselves today better, improved training/nutrition with "Sports Scientists", advancements in medicine/surgery and continued less contact in practice...we're going to see players last longer.

Jerry Rice was the first real one I remember with eating very healthy and strong work ethic...he was good until he was 40.  

I see Von Miller the same way.  

Kobe Bryant was that in the NBA.

It's not that players back then were more lazy, the just didn't have the education.  Today's players are much more aware how to take care of their bodies and usually have professional help.  I've seen diet plans of professional athletes and it's literally a science.  

If we extended Jones lets say for 2 more years, I wouldn't be upset...especially if he's still effective this early on this year.

Jones has a mostly plant based diet so he seems to be one of the players trying to stay ahead of the turk but he's not a great player.........he's just the same solid run plugger he was in TN and Carolina.......just older.   You don't go out of your way to extend players like that.    As @GunnerBill said, that would be a stupid financial decision.   All but the greatest DL his age start playing on successively cheaper one year deals at age 32-33 like he'll be after this season.   

There are a lot of players entering make-or-break seasons for the Bills...........and yet they were still one of the most dominant teams in the NFL last year.    That and all of the players entering walk years with big money on the line are reasons to feel great about their chances.  

On 5/14/2023 at 8:23 PM, Gugny said:

If we could extend this to coaches (which I guess we have, now), then I will agree with Dorsey and DEFINITELY throw McDermott in there. 

McDermott has a lot riding on his this season with taking over playcalling duties but I don’t think he’s in much danger of losing his job if he fails.  Dorsey on the other hand…

Gabe Davis is the first tier.  Epenesa and Basham are close behind.  Spencer Brown is the third tier, and Tre' Day is 4th tier.  I don't put Eddie O on this list because he should be GAN, either via trade this year or the Bills non-contract offer to him next year.  I'd love to see McClappy on the hot seat, but that ain't gonna happen.  Dorsey needs to come through (butbutbut.....13-3....), alas, he also will not be going anywhere.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/14/2023 at 2:20 PM, Rico said:

Tre White needs to be back-to-form to justify the $.

With all due respect Lil’ Rico, you can tell who never played sports at high level. To expect a guy who plays the position that requires physical skill to be back to full spirit after a major knee injury is absolutely crazy. These are always 2 year recovery injuries.

now if he struggles this year, I’m with you. But fans need to be more realistic in what they expect out of players. They aren’t robots. 

• Haha (+1) 1

White & Brown.  
  White has to regain his confidence  & trust his knee. Maybe get some input from Von as to how to go about it .                                 
   Brown can’t use a missed off season as an excuse this year. I hope he becomes the player we need him to be. We definitely need to get lucky & have players on cheap contracts over perform. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/14/2023 at 2:36 PM, JohnNord said:

I totally forgot about these two, but you are right - especially for Epinesa who will be a FA.  

If a DE like Jonathan Kingsley, Kameron Cline or Shane Ray balls out in the preseason, I would not be shocked to see a trade late in the preseason with one of these players.  

You can't pick a guy like Davis, who is a big part of the Offense and scoring, and leave off a guy like Epinesa, who is largely a nonfactor in the Defense.

On 5/14/2023 at 4:57 PM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Basham, Epenesa, Morse, and Oliver are gone after this season. 

Davis most likely too unless he really balls out and Diggs becomes a distraction.

White is my cap casualty for 2024. They didn't extend him so they can move on from him next year as a post June 1 cut. Elam and Benford are cheaper options. 

Make or break has to be Brown.  If he plays well he can be RT for several years. That allows them to draft Dawkins replacement next season. If Brown doesn't get any better they will really be hurting at OT in 2024. 

Its not about failure. Its about pretending to be GM and predicting what you or Beane might do in the future 

What would be "really balls out" for you? 58.5 YPG (gets him to 1000) instead of 55.7?  8 or 9 TDs instead of 7?  6 drops instead of 9?

44 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You can't pick a guy like Davis, who is a big part of the Offense and scoring, and leave off a guy like Epinesa, who is largely a nonfactor in the Defense.

What would be "really balls out" for you? 58.5 YPG (gets him to 1000) instead of 55.7?  8 or 9 TDs instead of 7?  6 drops instead of 9?

That is a good question. It all depends on what you pay him. If he plays just slightly better than last year and would accept a contract paying him somewhere around 30-35th best WR that would be fair for both sides. He is still young and has not had any major injuries. 

However my guess is he will want more money than that and there will be some team with enough money to pay him top 20 money.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

That is a good question. It all depends on what you pay him. If he plays just slightly better than last year and would accept a contract paying him somewhere around 30-35th best WR that would be fair for both sides. He is still young and has not had any major injuries. 

However my guess is he will want more money than that and there will be some team with enough money to pay him top 20 money.

He was #30 in yards last year.  #2 in YPC.  1000 yards would have put him at about #21.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.