Bills Sign Former First Rounder Shane Ray (now released with injury settlement)

aristocrat

If nothing else, he seems pretty emotional about getting another shot at the NFL...

“Words can’t describe the emotions I’m feeling right now.  So many tears, sleepless nights, depression, everything that comes with losing the game. So many days of having nothing but hope while fighting a uphill battle. There where times that I thought maybe I should give up, but I wouldn’t be me if I folded.Even in my darkest moments I believed in myself. I believed in my preparation. I believed that I would have another opportunity even if the world didn’t believe. There are so many people that have been on this journey with me supporting me and I thank you all!!! When I needed someone to lean on you all wouldn’t let me fall. Most importantly thank you God!!! It’s official im a Buffalo Bill!!!I’m so grateful and excited for this opportunity this moment I’ve dreamt about for 4 years. I’m back!!!!!!!”

This was an Instagram quote quoted in Ryan Talbot's NYup article: www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2023/05/buffalo-bills-sign-former-1st-round-pick-shane-ray-heres-what-edge-rusher-said-on-return-to-nfl.html

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

This^^^^^

What do the Bills have to lose?

McD and co seem to get the best out of guys that others have tossed away. My fav, first time around Jordan Phillips.  I think if the bills can get the floor of AJ Epenesa production out of him it’s a massive signing.  If he doesn’t produce anything at camp, not a hard cut to make 

4 hours ago, eball said:

Odds of Ray making the roster are likely 100 to 1 or greater, but it’s a guy with a pedigree and I don’t know why anyone would “criticize” the move.

Some will criticize move for hit fits in their irrational rant against Beane.

7 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Some will criticize move for hit fits in their irrational rant against Beane.

There is nothing to criticize about the signing. The criticism is for people thinking this signing means anything at all. It’s a nothing signing.

Edge is a need Beane hopefully fills by camp.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

9 hours ago, purple haze said:

I doubt it.   OBJ is in Baltimore and DHop is still in Arizona.  They didn’t do him those favors.

Ray probably showed good athleticism, they could use another pass rusher and they bring 90 to camp.  Why not sign him?    

He plays defense. OBJ and DHop play offense. Hence the favor. 

1 hour ago, Yantha said:

Interesting article from some years back.  Wondering about his injury status.   Has potential when healthy.https://www.pff.com/news/pro-the-ravens-add-a-much-needed-pass-rush-presence-sign-pernell-mcphee-and-shane-ray-for-2019

He played in the CFL in 2022 and put up in 6 sacks in 13 games. So it's safe to assume he's healthy.

• Like (+1) 1

There's some contentiousness on the board about the degree if any that Von Miller has had on this offseason's roster additions.

It could just be coincidence but so far the Bills have signed 4 former Von Miller teammates, David Edwards, Taylor Rapp, Travin Howard, and Shane Ray.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

There's some contentiousness on the board about the degree if any that Von Miller has had on this offseason's roster additions.

It could just be coincidence but so far the Bills have signed 4 former Von Miller teammates, David Edwards, Taylor Rapp, Travin Howard, and Shane Ray.

Von did say he wants to be a GM someday.   Getting involved in personnel already?

Edited by hondo in seattle

5 hours ago, eball said:

I really don’t get the “favor for Von” angle one bit.  That’s not how Beane operates.  This guy’s agent was likely putting out feelers throughout the league and while Beane may certainly have asked Von about his character and how he is as a teammate, they can watch the film for themselves and it is a completely no-risk, nothing-but-upside signing.

Odds of Ray making the roster are likely 100 to 1 or greater, but it’s a guy with a pedigree and I don’t know why anyone would “criticize” the move.

What don’t you understand about the term “tongue in cheek?” 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37647296/de-shane-ray-nfl-2019-signs-bills

He was a bust.    Didn't show much juice in the CFL action I saw him in recently.   Agree that it's a favor to Von and he probably ends up on PS but when it comes to rushing the passer sometimes old dogs can actually get better with age.   I hope he finds a niche in the NFL in his 30's.   Kid had a tough story growing up with his college football star father wanting nothing to do with him. 

• Like (+1) 1

Shane Ray might work out fine.  Let's just take a look.  As for DE improvement, there's still a lot of upside for Groot and Epenesa.  Basham I never thought would work out and he's performed down to my expectations, but the other two could be the solution to the need right there on the roster.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37647296/de-shane-ray-nfl-2019-signs-bills

He was a bust.    Didn't show much juice in the CFL action I saw him in recently.   Agree that it's a favor to Von and he probably ends up on PS but when it comes to rushing the passer sometimes old dogs can actually get better with age.   I hope he finds a niche in the NFL in his 30's.   Kid had a tough story growing up with his college football star father wanting nothing to do with him. 

He was not a bust. Had 8 sacks his second year. Had 3 sacks in one game the next year. He underperformed for sure. But he's clearly capable when focused.

I have a good feeling about this signing. Could be a lorax type signing. If anything other DEs will be pushed by this guy, who sounds hungry and ready to work. I love players that take the CFL route. Again, I have this vibe he will be better than we think. 

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.