Brandon Beane Selling OP Home

Back2Buff

9 minutes ago, teef said:

i'd assume that too.  i know in the rochester area, the rule was, (i'm not sure if this applies anymore) that for every million, you pay about 35k a year in taxes, depending on the suburb.  I do think it includes schools, as i checked mine, and it looked as if the school taxes were in there.  that's what you get hit with.

Would you like to know how much I paid in property taxes last year between 2 homes in Atlanta?

8 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Skimmed over the linked listing... it looks like the assessed value is only $570K and monthly property tax payments are $3200. Edit: Redfin has property taxes at $2900/month.

You have to look at the Property Tax tab next to Sale History... Erie county uses a convoluted system where a 570,000 assessment does not mean what you think it means. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

You obviously have not been paying too much attention to the housing market over the last few years!  Extremely typical kind of price increase.  Could even ask for and get more--especially as a Bills' house! But yes, these kinds of price increases do seem ridiculous, though most are getting their asking price or more.

Looks like an amazing place, a perfect house. 

Thinking of buying it myself as a nice little place to stay overnight when coming into town for a Bills' game. Going to a Coinstar machine today to start cashing in my change.

We bought a house up the street from our old house about 15 months ago. The owner had a Realtor, but it was not actively listed in MLS. They were trying to quietly sell it without actually listing it. We got wind that somebody offered $5k less than what they paid about 4 years earlier. The owner said “I want at least what we paid for it”. We offered $10k more than what they had paid and she eventually accepted. Several sales took place right after we bought the new place, and we clearly got a steal. It’s worth ~50% more than what we paid because the seller and her agent had no idea what the current market value was. I thought we did good, but we did GREAT. 

On a side note, I pity the appraiser taxed with finding three comps within a mile of Beane’s house that sold in the last 6 months within 15% of 10k SF that included an indoor pool and basketball court. That is a job you do not want, even for a huge fee. You will NEVER make an underwriter happy because those comps do not exist. You just do the best you can, and they will keep bugging you like those sales exist and you are just refusing to use the good comps. 

As far as the house, what a mess! Sure, it’s a nice kitchen (if you don’t mind the dark cabinets and black appliances), but who wants a house built around a basketball court? That is not the focal point I want for my house. I’d cross that off the list and keep looking. 

EDIT: apparently the house may look over the indoor pool, not the basketball court. That’s not as bad, but that pool area is pretty sterile and not ideal in my mind. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

We bought a house up the street from our old house about 15 months ago. The owner had a Realtor, but it was not actively listed in. MLS. They were trying to quietly sell it without actually listing it. We got wind that somebody offered $5k less than what they paid about 4 years earlier. The owner said “I want at least what we paid for it”. We offered $10k more than what they had paid and she eventually accepted. Several sales took place right after we bought the new place, and we clearly got a steal. It’s worth ~50% more than what we paid because the seller and her agent had no idea what the current market value was. I thought we did good, but we did GREAT. 

On a side note, I pity the appraiser taxed with finding three comps within a mile of Beane’s house that sold in the last 6 months within 15% of 10k SF that included an indoor pool and basketball court. That is a job you do not want, even for a huge fee. You will NEVER make an underwriter happy because those comps do not exist. You just do the best you can, and they will keep bugging you like those sales exist and you are just refusing to use the good comps. 

As far as the house, what a mess! Sure, it’s a nice kitchen (if you don’t mind the dark cabinets and black appliances), but who wants a house built around a basketball court? That is not the focal point I want for my house. I’d cross that off the list and keep looking. 

As an appraiser - I wouldn't care what the underwriter "wanted".  You do a report, you make sure it's USPAP compliant, and you collect your fee.  You're there to give your expert opinion of value... not to satisfy an underwriter's checklist.

1 hour ago, Mister Defense said:

You obviously have not been paying too much attention to the housing market over the last few years!  Extremely typical kind of price increase.  Could even ask for and get more--especially as a Bills' house! But yes, these kinds of price increases do seem ridiculous, though most are getting their asking price or more.

Looks like an amazing place, a perfect house. 

Thinking of buying it myself as a nice little place to stay overnight when coming into town for a Bills' game. Going to a Coinstar machine today to start cashing in my change.

Hoping my 5 gallon water jug filled with pennies will cover it.

7 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

As an appraiser - I wouldn't care what the underwriter "wanted".  You do a report, you make sure it's USPAP compliant, and you collect your fee.  You're there to give your expert opinion of value... not to satisfy an underwriter's checklist.

In the real world, the phone keeps ringing and the emails keep flowing. Payment is often withheld as well. It doesn’t matter if I know it’s the best available, they want more. My report might be fine, but the hassle factor is often not worth it. 

I also worked for a national appraisal management company and I was that miserable person who kept pounding on the appraiser, even though I knew full well they were in an impossible situation. Some states, like MS and AL, are non-disclosure states. Nothing of any value is available in public records, and many of those rural areas don’t have MLS at all. It is IMPOSSIBLE to comply. 

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

About $6,000

A mere pittance! Our townhouse in Buckhead/midtown was more than that, mostly because the City of Atlanta tax alone was $420/month. It can be CRAZY! I’m happy here in Cobb county with our low(er) taxes. I turned 62 and the school board portion of our property taxes dropped off, which was surprisingly about 2/3 of the total. 

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Beane put his house up for sale...at a ridiculous up charge of 650k.

Good luck to Mr.Beane trying to get 650k more than what he paid in this housing market at that high end of the market.  Only hope is another player or coach buys it.

Beane House

It's the housing market, I live in Tonawanda and I bought my house back in 2017 and it's now estimated to be worth 55% more than I paid for it. I did some small improvements like cleared out some bushes, replaced a concrete porch and side door which a very small amount vs what it's worth now. 

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

We bought a house up the street from our old house about 15 months ago. The owner had a Realtor, but it was not actively listed in. MLS. They were trying to quietly sell it without actually listing it. We got wind that somebody offered $5k less than what they paid about 4 years earlier. The owner said “I want at least what we paid for it”. We offered $10k more than what they had paid and she eventually accepted. Several sales took place right after we bought the new place, and we clearly got a steal. It’s worth ~50% more than what we paid because the seller and her agent had no idea what the current market value was. I thought we did good, but we did GREAT. 

Sarcasm, here, I assume: what a mess  ?

I'd take it!

And congratulations! That has been what I have seen too--almost no good deals around unless the seller is not informed.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Same reason we're talking about Josh Allen's Creamsicle suitcoat.

Peak off-season.

I don't know about sellers and buyers markets, but we just had our house assessed for a HELOC and I blinked hard at the assessed value.  

Nuts.  Like 40% more than what I saw as an over-inflated property tax estimate.  I'm told it's because materials costs are driving up new property prices.

And oh, yeah, the HELOC mortgage rate is less than I'm earning on my savings account.  Go figure how that works.

So I dunno.

Wonder why Beane is selling?

Most housing stock isn't competing with new builds, but with existing stock.  Your valuation is related to where in your market your price point is.  In ROC, the houses in the 200-350 range in established neighborhoods/suburbs are selling quick.  A cookie cutter mcmansion in the boonies at 1.8 million is a tough sell because of the likely assessment, mortgage acquisition, massive taxes and the fact that it is larded up with features (indoor basketball court, indoor pool, yet only 4 BRs), that few buyers are interested in.  There are available houses on the same street with as much living space and similar acreage at a much lower price.

1 minute ago, Mister Defense said:

Sarcasm, here, I assume: what a mess  ?

I'd take it!

And congratulations! That has been what I have seen too--almost no good deals around unless the seller is not informed.

I’m serious. They seem to have a house built around a basketball court. The kitchen, family room and at least one bedroom have a view of a gym. That’s not easy to fix (OK, impossible) and you will get resistance when it’s time to sell. Not may buyers are looking for or willing to tolerate that.  I would keep moving unless it was a serious steal (and even then I’d have reservations). 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

A mere pittance! Our townhouse in Buckhead/midtown was more than that, mostly because the City of Atlanta tax alone was $420/month. It can be CRAZY! I’m happy here in Cobb county with our low(er) taxes. I turned 62 and the school board portion of our property taxes dropped off, which was surprisingly about 2/3 of the total. 

My house is in Cherokee county even though my address is Alpharetta.  The Fulton county line border is literally 100 yards away...Cherokee is so much cheaper.

I paid about $4,000 last year on this house.  My condo in downtown Alpharetta was actually around $2,600 so I am closer to $7,000 than $6,000.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Same reason we're talking about Josh Allen's Creamsicle suitcoat.

Wonder why Beane is selling?

Sell the house, move into a garage apartment on Abbott Rd. at $400 a month rent.  Then he can afford a whole closet full of creamsicle suits.  And, walk to work!  No car lease payments or car insurance! 😁

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m serious. They seem to have a house built around a basketball court. The kitchen, family room and at least one bedroom have a view of a gym. That’s not easy to fix (OK, impossible) and you will get resistance when it’s time to sell. Not may buyers are looking for or willing to tolerate that.  I would keep moving unless it was a serious steal (and even then I’d have reservations). 

I could be mistaken, but from the photos I saw in the OP link, the view from the kitchen family room and one bedroom, appeared to be of a pool, not of the gym.

That does kind of make it a specialty market, but I can see someone who has "water rat" kids and a swimming background considering that a feature, since you can cook and watch TV and keep an eye on the kids in the pool, and also go directly from your morning laps to your bedroom without dripping through the house.

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Sell the house, move into a garage apartment on Abbott Rd. at $400 a month rent.  Then he can afford a whole closet full of creamsicle suits.  And, walk to work!  No car lease payments or car insurance! 😁

I think both Beane and Allen can afford all the custom creamcicle suits they want, AND the house, AND the car lease payments.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

Okay.  But I would just grit my teeth and bear it to live in that 'mess' of a house! Or, put up some blinds or paintings.

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I could be mistaken, but from the photos I saw in the OP link, the view from the kitchen family room and one bedroom, appeared to be of a pool, not of the gym.

That does kind of make it a specialty market, but I can see someone who has "water rat" kids and a swimming background considering that a feature, since you can cook and watch TV and keep an eye on the kids in the pool, and also go directly from your morning laps to your bedroom without dripping through the house.

I think both Beane and Allen can afford all the custom creamcicle suits they want, AND the house, AND the car lease payments.

If it’s the pool and not the gym, that’s not as bad. I didn’t look too closely. If you have kids, I can see the appeal, but it’s still kinda funky. But it only takes one! 

4 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Okay.  But I would just grit my teeth and bear it to live in that 'mess' of a house! Or, put up some blinds or paintings.

I see it as a nice place to live, but you’re investing in something that will weed out a good part of the market. JMO. 

20 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Most housing stock isn't competing with new builds, but with existing stock.  Your valuation is related to where in your market your price point is.  In ROC, the houses in the 200-350 range in established neighborhoods/suburbs are selling quick.  A cookie cutter mcmansion in the boonies at 1.8 million is a tough sell because of the likely assessment, mortgage acquisition, massive taxes and the fact that it is larded up with features (indoor basketball court, indoor pool, yet only 4 BRs), that few buyers are interested in.  There are available houses on the same street with as much living space and similar acreage at a much lower price.

It's a little concerning of how many people don't understand this.  I see comparisons of houses in Tonawanda to a million dollar house in OP.

Million dollar houses are a struggle to sell right now.  Even ones in the upper 700-900k.  The pool of people wanting to buy a house this high in Buffalo, is VERY low. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Lost said:

If the cost of everything else has increased along with your net worth then your spending power hasn't really increased has it?   In other words, inflation.

Your explanation of housing supply and demand in what is now a global real estate market boils down to inflation as dictated by the executive branch?  Barring catastrophe, housing prices have been on steady trend for the past 40 years.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CSUSHPINSA

2 hours ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

^ this.  I received an estimate from a roofing contractor yesterday that was $10K higher than a bid from the same contractor in 2018.

Yeah, I'm an electrical contractor and there is definitely sticker shock right now, sadly it's mostly to just materials. Some jobs you end up doing a slightly cheaper labor rate just to stay competitive. 

Odd world we are in at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Your explanation of housing supply and demand in what is now a global real estate market boils down to inflation as dictated by the executive branch?  Barring catastrophe, housing prices have been on steady trend for the past 40 years.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CSUSHPINSA

Not just the executive branch, but yes.   Pumping trillions into the economy has that effect.   The last 2 1/2 years are not part of of the steady trend in home prices.  The average cost of a home jumping $100,000 in 2 years is reasonable to you?  Demand is high now because few are selling since they can't afford to move elsewhere.  You can try and blame the fed for raising rates to where they are now but who knows how far prices may have spiked if they hadn't.

hai.thumb.gif.26d53f96fb3f215ea96edc80ed327209.gif

3 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

In this area, high end homes have not seen a large increase.   For example, Beasley put his house on market for 1.5 million, and it sold for 1.2 million.

Property taxes are ridiculous in OP.  I can't even imagine what a 1.8 million would pay in taxes.  I know a 500k house is like 12k a year.  Probably looking at over 40k a year in property taxes at 1.8 million.

Leave it to WNYers to B word about property tax.  Have you considered that the same house in MOST of the country would cost 3 times as much? Or more?

Housing prices in WNY are DIRT CHEAP, as is the overall cost of living.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Leave it to WNYers to B word about property tax.  Have you considered that the same house in MOST of the country would cost 3 times as much? Or more?

Housing prices in WNY are DIRT CHEAP, as is the overall cost of living.

guess what spanky?  even after i have my house paid off in a few years, i'll still be paying thousands a month just to stay in it.  i'd rather pay into equity than taxes.  

not to mention that the same house would absolutely not cost 3 times as much in most of the country.  that's absurd.  maybe in comparison to large metro areas, but even that's a stretch.

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Lost said:

Not just the executive branch, but yes.   Pumping trillions into the economy has that effect.   The last 2 1/2 years are not part of of the steady trend in home prices.  The average cost of a home jumping $100,000 in 2 years is reasonable to you?  Demand is high now because few are selling since they can't afford to move elsewhere.  You can try and blame the fed for raising rates to where they are now but who knows how far prices may have spiked if they hadn't.

hai.thumb.gif.26d53f96fb3f215ea96edc80ed327209.gif

I guess I don't remember when the executive ordered everyone to upgrade their housing situation during the pandemic.  Lots of demand, lagging supply, and a 10 year run of extremely low interest rates seems like a recipe for rising prices.  Something else happened in early 2020 which fundamentally transformed how people work and where they can live.  But "voted for inflation" must be the answer.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I guess I don't remember when the executive ordered everyone to upgrade their housing situation during the pandemic.  Lots of demand, lagging supply, and a 10 year run of extremely low interest rates seems like a recipe for rising prices.  Something else happened in early 2020 which fundamentally transformed how people work and where they can live.  But "voted for inflation" must be the answer.  

At least you're honest on which side you voted.   Glad you're happy with the housing market and everything else going on 😄

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Lost said:

At least you're honest on which side you voted.   Glad you're happy with the housing market and everything else going on 😄

I'm glad that I am capable of critical thinking.  I can't imagine what type of asinine conclusions I might reach if I were to interpret everything that happens as a function of the president.  Although there is a certain simplicity in screaming "Lets Go Brandon!" at rain clouds that seems comforting.  Sometimes I am envious that I will never have that experience.

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• Simon locked this topic