Zach Ertz says he was almost a Bill

23 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Not sure which year that was, but the year Reich won the comeback game against Houston and the road playoff game at Pittsburgh, he had the hot hand and the Bills should have ridden it.  While it's true that Kelly started and won the AFCCG against Miami, the whole game was dump offs and screen passes.  He was nowhere near 100% and Reich was playing lights out.  That's where Parcells exceeds Levy (and I LOVE Marv).  Parcells was willing to keep the starter Simms on the bench and ride the hot hand of backup Hostettler to a SB Championship, but Levy didn't do the same (different years, but same era, similar circumstances).

If I have my playoff seasons mixed up, feel free to flame away... it's late, I'm tired, had a few adult beverages earlier, and I'm not going to look it up.  The point remains the same.

Simms broke his foot in December that season against us ironically.  He couldn't have played as I believe he was on crutches Super Bowl weekend.  Simms was playing great that year until he got hurt so if he was healthy for the Super Bowl they were pry playing him.  Parcells was the better coach but I'm not going to credit him for that decision because it wasn't an option.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Not sure which year that was, but the year Reich won the comeback game against Houston and the road playoff game at Pittsburgh, he had the hot hand and the Bills should have ridden it.  While it's true that Kelly started and won the AFCCG against Miami, the whole game was dump offs and screen passes.  He was nowhere near 100% and Reich was playing lights out.  That's where Parcells exceeds Levy (and I LOVE Marv).  Parcells was willing to keep the starter Simms on the bench and ride the hot hand of backup Hostettler to a SB Championship, but Levy didn't do the same (different years, but same era, similar circumstances).

If I have my playoff seasons mixed up, feel free to flame away... it's late, I'm tired, had a few adult beverages earlier, and I'm not going to look it up.  The point remains the same.

You do. Simms missed SB XXV. Kelly hurt his knee in week 15 (game 14)against the Giants but played all the playoff games.  Reich played the next game and beat the Dolphins to clinch the AFC East.
Reich played in the XXVII playoffs as you described. Bills would then play Dallas and Kelly was injured late in that game too.

9 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/zach-ertz-says-he-was-close-to-becoming-a-buffalo-bill-in-2021-trade/article_a784aba2-ec36-11ed-bf27-3fc957f0a7c6.html

“I was getting traded out of Philadelphia,” Ertz said Saturday after accepting the 20th annual Call to Courage Award. “There were a couple teams extremely interested, Buffalo being one of them. It was almost a done deal, but it just didn’t get over the finish line.”

“We will never forget our time in Buffalo, and we still root for the Bills, especially now that we’re in the NFC,” he said of himself and his family. “As a fan of the Bills, I did love that pick of Kincaid."

Thanks for posting it.

Always wondered what happened there.

Edited by Thurman#1

9 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

"It was almost a done deal, but it just didn't get to the finish line" makes me wonder what happened.

Beane's not going to get to "done deal" territory and then not pull the trigger. I'd bet Phili got cold feet and upped their asking price in the 11th hour. 

Yeah, they addressed that in the article.

"Ertz said one person – on the Eagles’ side of the talks – nixed the deal with the Bills. He would not say who. The most likely candidate probably would be Eagles general manager Howie Roseman."

9 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Beane absolutely would be the one to not pull the trigger. He's so scared to "lose" on a deal. It always has to be "it's a good deal for us and them" type of agreement. He said on a podcast recently that there are GM's that try and win the deal so they don't look bad to the fans and he says he tries to avoid doing deals with them. The Eagles GM seems like the type of guy that enjoys winning deals. He's been quite a streak lately

Yeah, nope.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, nope.

He was just on the Chris Long podcast and said he will absolutely not do deals with people who try and "win" the deal. If you are the Eagles, you absolutely have to win that deal to sell it to the fanbase that you just traded away one of the most popular players.

• Disagree 1

12 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

If you guys read the article, someone on the Eagles side nixed the trade. Ertz wouldn’t say who, but Howie Rosenman is likely the culprit.

Thanks for clarifying…

So it was a “almost a done deal” according to Ertz … just that the Eagles hadn’t agreed..

Hmmm

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.