RD 3, Pick 91: LB Dorian Williams, Tulane

SDS

25 minutes ago, wppete said:

BTW the Bills website has him listed at 6’2 230.

Yep, as I mentioned in another thread, he is about the same size as Devin White, Roquan Smith and Fred Warner. Now you add his speed and 6'8 wing span. We got ourselves a very versatile LB. It's a good pick

• Like (+1) 7
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

You may be right.  Most 3rd rounders don't amount to much, anyway.  But one line you wrote, to me, is meaningless: "Every scouting report..."

What you mean is: "Every amateur scouting report..."  I forget which one, but one draft guru a couple of years ago mentioned that he watches 3 or more game tapes of each of the top 100 prospects and then 1-2 games of all the rest.   I imagine that's a lot of work for one guy so I'm not knocking it.  But draft 'gurus' like him may have only watched one of Williams' games.  How accurate will their assessments be?

But now imagine an entire NFL scouting department with a team of year-round professionals studying film, talking to coaches, interviewing players and their teammates, and in some cases, even hiring private detectives.  Who's going to make the better assessment?  

When the media talks about a player falling in the draft, what they really mean typically is that the amateurs in the media overrated someone and the professionals didn't think he was worth a high pick.  The amateurs and pros often disagree.  Personally, the fact that Wiliams was rated a 4th-6th round pick by some amateur talent evaluators in the media means nothing to me.  

FWIW, some mocks had Williams in the 3rd round:

image.thumb.png.7b4130206d67f1b5efc586ebcebd25bf.png

This.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Yep, as I mentioned in another thread, he is about the same size as Devin White, Roquan Smith and Fred Warner. Now you add his speed and 6'8 wing span. We got ourselves a very versatile LB. It's a good pick

Yup. And a high motor tackling machine. Excellent pick by Beane. 

• Like (+1) 1

We don’t have to do this to ourselves.

The mental gymnastics to convince ourselves this player makes sense.

We know it’s not going to work. He’s too small. 

Let’s grow up and admit that the Bills have a blind spot for this kind of player. The try hard, undersized, small school linebacker who plays a lot of Special Teams. Bills consistently take that guy 2-rounds too early.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

We don’t have to do this to ourselves.

The mental gymnastics to convince ourselves this player makes sense.

We know it’s not going to work. He’s too small. 

Let’s grow up and admit that the Bills have a blind spot for this kind of player. The try hard, undersized, small school linebacker who plays a lot of Special Teams. Bills consistently take that guy 2-rounds too early.

He is an off the ball linebacker that brings the wood when he tackles and has traits to make you think he could become good in coverage.  What mental gymnastics were required here?  Cover 1 didnt like him or Joe Marino? 

• Like (+1) 1

The more game film I watch, the more I like the pick. He’s very fast, hits hard, tackles well, & shows good instincts. Yes, he’s only 228 lbs, but he’s still 21. I don’t think we should underestimate his potential. I could see him develop into a really good LB for us.  I see way more potential than I saw with Bernard.  I think we’re going to have a hard time keeping him off the field. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

He is an off the ball linebacker that brings the wood when he tackles and has traits to make you think he could become good in coverage.  What mental gymnastics were required here?  Cover 1 didnt like him or Joe Marino? 

Again, the part where the Bills take a 228 pound linebacker and put him as a Special Teamer and backup on the outside at pick #91. 

Can’t play middle, and shocker, a guy who struggles against blocks at Tulane, let alone the NFL. 

The obsession with Special Teams continues. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Played weak side in college and to me looks like we used a 3rd round pick on Milano's back up.

Watching his highlights and hearing draft guys break him down, I like him as a player…. If we didn’t have an All-Pro at his position, along with last years RD3 pick, also, at his position.  

But maybe McDermott is truly changing up the defense more than we think. 

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Again, the part where the Bills take a 228 pound linebacker and put him as a Special Teamer and backup on the outside at pick #91. 

Can’t play middle, and shocker, a guy who struggles against blocks at Tulane, let alone the NFL. 

The obsession with Special Teams continues. 

What linebaker coming out didnt struggle getting off blocks?  He is smaller than Simpson, Sanders, and Campbell but none of them were good in this area.  I think they get to a point were the 2 linebakers are interchangeable.  If Bernard doesn't become the Mike, Williams will be the next guy given a shot.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

What linebaker coming out didnt struggle getting off blocks?  He is smaller than Simpson, Sanders, and Campbell but none of them were good in this area.  I think they get to a point were the 2 linebakers are interchangeable.  If Bernard doesn't become the Mike, Williams will be the next guy given a shot.  

The knock on Simpson and Henley were that they aren’t instinctual and struggle reading the play. 

We just dealt with that in Edmunds. 

Williams strength, fwiw, seems to be in his read and react processing.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Played weak side in college and to me looks like we used a 3rd round pick on Milano's back up.

Ok.  At the end of the day they will put the best 2 on the field. They want it to be Milano and Bernard right now.  If Bernard doesnt step up I think Williams would be given a chance.  I dont expect any GM or proclaim there 3 rd pick is starting day 1.  If they do that roster is subpar. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.