Which NFL player did you think was going to be good but turned out to be a bust?

Magox

J.P. Losman. I still think that with better coaching, he could've been at least a middle-of-the-road QB.

On the flip side, I never thought Trent Edwards would amount to anything in the league, so I was right about that.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

J.P. Losman. I still think that with better coaching, he could've been at least a middle-of-the-road QB.

On the flip side, I never thought Trent Edwards would amount to anything in the league, so I was right about that.

I hated the Losman pick and was even more pissed that we lost our 2005 1st round pick that could’ve been Aaron Rodgers and probably would’ve been because of Losman…And to top it off three out of the four QBs chosen in the 2004 class or Hall of Famers

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I hated the Losman pick and was even more pissed that we lost our 2005 1st round pick that could’ve been Aaron Rodgers and probably would’ve been because of Losman…And to top it off three out of the four QBs chosen in the 2004 class or Hall of Famers

I don't follow college football so I had no opinions on the draft. But based on preseason and regular-season games, I saw potential. 

In retrospect, though, Rodgers obviously would have been a better choice. I do wonder whether he'd have been as good with our staff (at the time) as he turned out to be in GB.

Tony Mandarich....

the best offensive line prospect ever

picked #2 overall.... He's the only top five pick in his draft class not inducted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1989/04/24/the-big-enchilada-tony-mandarich-a-top-nfl-prospect-is-a-chowhound-who-chews-up-opponents

for the bills.....big Mike Williams...OT  2002

Edited by papazoid
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

The guy has played a long time but stinks.  Blaine Gabbert went like #5 overall and is still playing.  He’s not a bust?

Clowney has always started on the teams he plays for. He’s been a second team All Pro and a Pro Bowler 3 times. At 30 he was still a solid, productive DE. How’s Gabbert done in those regards?

I remember Bills fans being obsessed with Darron Lee. Justin Hunter is another. 

I am shocked that Brady Quinn didn’t make it. I thought he was a sure thing. I also thought DeShone Kizer would be good. 

I wanted Joey Harrington bad. I still think he could have made it if he went to a better situation. 

I loved Jake Locker. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Clowney has always started on the teams he plays for. He’s been a second team All Pro and a Pro Bowler 3 times. At 30 he was still a solid, productive DE. How’s Gabbert done in those regards?

Re-read my post.  The other guy said “long Carter” = “not bust”.  I used Gabbert as an example.  Although not nearly as disappointing as Gabbert, Clowney hasn’t sniffed the expectation level he was given.  The cherry picked data points you used above are an interesting way of picking nits.  Pro Bowler?  Really?  Tyler Huntley HOF?

5 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Re-read my post.  The other guy said “long Carter” = “not bust”.  I used Gabbert as an example.  Although not nearly as disappointing as Gabbert, Clowney hasn’t sniffed the expectation level he was given.  The cherry picked data points you used above are an interesting way of picking nits.  Pro Bowler?  Really?  Tyler Huntley HOF?

The Pro Bowl selections still meant something when Clowney got them. You should know that. And as mentioned above, Clowney was taken first overall and while he hasn’t lived up to that he’d have been a very worthwhile first round selection. I just think it’s hilarious that people argue he busted when that’s obviously not the case and because Reggie Bush, who was thought of as a lock for that first overall pick and went second, really did bust. Easy money right there, but some people would rather ignore the limitless list of real busts to talk about how bad they think Clowney sucked. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

Corey Davis was my biggest blunder. I thought he was going to be a stud #1 WR and now he’s struggling to make it on the Jets. Still time but he was a future star in my eyes and I whiffed 

Yea I liked him a lot too. I wouldn't call him a bust either though. He has been a productive #2 receiver. The problem is he was drafted at the point of the draft where you want to be hitting #1s. 

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

The guy has played a long time but stinks.  Blaine Gabbert went like #5 overall and is still playing.  He’s not a bust?

Clowney does not stink. He has been a good player. Just not a superstar like a #1 pick is supposed to be. 

• Agree 2

There are too many to list:

Sammy seemed like a sure thing. Not a bust but disappointing. 

Hardy for sure. 

The TE Shawn Nelson. We were all so happy w him then he never got going. 

Trent Edwards. Not a high pick and did not expect much, but after about his first 16 games looked to be a solid NFL QB. 

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Clowney does not stink. He has been a good player. Just not a superstar like a #1 pick is supposed to be. 

Maybe my definition of “stink” is a little different.  Signing drama EVERY year, skipping from team to team, producing marginally for high $ and then repeating the process “stinks” to me and if I were building a team I’d have zero interest in someone like him.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.