Florio raises an excellent question:

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think that's the point tho

For those interested here's the breakdown: https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills

imo it is totally fair to question whether this is a responsible use of the cap re: investing in your offense

Seems a pretty even distribution between Offense and Defense at the top of spending. I left out Knox, but he is right up there in the list as well. Up to our OC and Josh to use him tho.

I dont disagree that I would like to see the FO focus a bit on Offense around Josh, but I dont think it is to the point that Josh should be upset or questioning anything.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think that's the point tho

For those interested here's the breakdown: https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills

imo it is totally fair to question whether this is a responsible use of the cap re: investing in your offense

A terrible point.

Josh Allen, Diggs, Dawkins and Morse are 4 of our top 5 cap hits in 2023. 

Anyone entertaining Florio saying some dumb ***** is also wrong.

• Like (+1) 2

So Josh Allen should be upset about the Bills:

- Paying his number 1 receiver top tier money to stick around
- Paying his TE1 good money
- Naming his preferred choice of Ken Dorsey as the new OC -- probably largely BECAUSE it was his preferred choice

- Having his left tackle and center locked up for a couple more seasons

- Drafting a speedy running back in round two and then trading for another one mid-season last year

- Fielding a top five scoring offense in three straight seasons
- Signing future Hall of Famer Von Miller to a mega-bucks deal as a final touch to a Super Bowl worthy roster

- Coming off four straight double digit win seasons and playoff performances
- Spending right up to the cap every single year 

Sure Jan GIF

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I don’t think we’re seeing how loaded the Bills are. Money has been spent to bring the baseline of talent to a pretty high level across the field, on all three sides of the football. 

Sims complained that paying good players is the same as having average players. I mean, huhhh..?? I listen to the show, and they say many silly things. They need to fill the time, and Florio especially, gets on a tangent and can’t shut up, and that leads him down some semi bizarre conversation with himself about this and that. 

• Like (+1) 1

The other issue is we are paying top money to a corner who was a shadow of himself last year after tearing his knee the year before and top money to an edge rusher who tore his knee last year. Them's the breaks as a useless Prime Minister once said. 

I think they have made some questionable allocation decisions. I said at the time that other than Von I thought their free agency last year was poorly thought out. $6m on a terrible over the hill guard, a tight end who didn't even make week 1 and three decent sized defensive tackle contracts. Part talent evaluation error, part cap allocation error. But error all the same. 

This year they had limited room to manouvre and have tried to rectify some of their mistakes. They might go offense in the early part of the draft too but I caution against expecting this draft to be one that throws up too many long term answers. 

They need a bit better luck and they need at least one of their FA guards and one of their FA receivers to pan out. 

And they need Dorsey and Josh to figure out how they use Dawson Knox. Because he can be a much bigger piece for us. On that score it is on OC and QB to use whst they have. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

42 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I mean, even the Chiefs fan knows why this is a dumb question. Cmon, Florio/OP.

It's framed in a dumb way, but the question is valid.  

Chiefs and Bengals have been hyper focused on making sure their QB has a top tier OL.  Bills, clearly not.  

We'll see what happens with the draft, but the Bills are starting to get the "FO doesn't give their QB enough help" narrative ... and it's warranted as of today. 

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Seems a pretty even distribution between Offense and Defense at the top of spending. I left out Knox, but he is right up there in the list as well. Up to our OC and Josh to use him tho.

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

A terrible point.

Josh Allen, Diggs, Dawkins and Morse are 4 of our top 5 cap hits in 2023. 

Anyone entertaining Florio saying some dumb ***** is also wrong.

Mahomes has like a $40M cap hit this coming year and they are still going to roll out a better offensive line and similar quality skill players

I don't know whether it's a drafting thing or finding value in FA or what but I think his point stands

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, UConn James said:

But in the playoffs…. When nothing changes, then nothing changes.

I'd disagree. Circumstances are different every year.

We weren't the team in January that we were in September.  We need to stay just a bit healthier, and hopefully not have as much drama as we had late in the season in '22.  We can beat anyone w/ the current team, whether regular season or playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Mahomes has like a $40M cap hit this coming year and they are still going to roll out a better offensive line and similar quality skill players

I don't know whether it's a drafting thing or finding value in FA or what but I think his point stands

They drafted better players.  They also signed better players.

The problem is not their allocation of resources as a strategy.  It's who they are allocating the resources IN.

Big time FA's signed last season:

OJ Howard - bum, cut in camp

Von Miller - great player, tore ACL midway through season

Roger Saffold - bum, worst G in the NFL

Jamison Crowder - solid, but hurt early and never returned

Daquan Jones - good pickup, but hurt towards the end and missed the Bengals game

Come playoffs, we had all FIVE of our larger FA acquisitions not on the field for one reason or another.  Part of that is signing sucky players (Saffold/OJ) or just plain old bad injury luck.  If we have 2 or 3 or 4 of those guys go the distance, do you think the season is different?  I do.

Ya'll keep talking about Mahomes like they didn't trade away a top 5 WR last year and get absolutely unquestionably WORSE as a WR group. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The other issue is we are paying top money to a corner who was a shadow of himself last year after tearing his knee the year before and top money to an edge rusher who tore his knee last year. Them's the breaks as a useless Prime Minister once said. 

I think they have made some questionable allocation decisions. I said at the time that other than Von I thought their free agency last year was poorly thought out. $6m on a terrible over the hill guard, a tight end who didn't even make week 1 and three decent sized defensive tackle contracts. Part talent evaluation error, part cap allocation error. But error all the same. 

This year they had limited room to manouvre and have tried to rectify some of their mistakes. They might go offense in the early part of the draft too but I caution against expecting this draft to be one that throws up too many long term answers. 

They need a bit better luck and they need at least one of their FA guards and one of their FA receivers to pan out. 

And they need Dorsey and Josh to figure out how they use Dawson Knox. Because he can be a much bigger piece for us. On that score it is on OC and QB to use whst they have. 

Agreed with all of this, but especially the bolded.  They don't need to be super lucky, but they definitely need better luck.  Tre being the #2 cap hit and being a liability, their sad list of FAs from last year who weren't available or didn't work out is a recipe for a team that takes a step back.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

They talked more about this idea yesterday too:

To summarize - they say that the Bills are so concerned with being at least average at every position, they've missed out on being really great at a couple positions other than QB. Specifically at WR Florio thinks we have been stubborn and that everyone other than Buffalo knows we need more there. Simms makes the case that we should do what the Chiefs did, go all in on offensive infrastructure and just have a couple pieces on defense that can make some plays.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

They talked more about this idea yesterday too:

To summarize - they say that the Bills are so concerned with being at least average at every position, they've missed out on being really great at a couple positions other than QB. Specifically at WR Florio thinks we have been stubborn and that everyone other than Buffalo knows we need more there. Simms makes the case that we should do what the Chiefs did, go all in on offensive infrastructure and just have a couple pieces on defense that can make some plays.

Simms is wrong. That's not what the Chiefs did.  At all.

Trading away a top 5 WR and taking a DE and a CB in the first is not going all in on offensive infrastructure.

They got lucky and found diamonds in the rough for the OL in the later parts of the draft.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, FireChans said:

They drafted better players.  They also signed better players.

The problem is not their allocation of resources as a strategy.  It's who they are allocating the resources IN.

Big time FA's signed last season:

OJ Howard - bum, cut in camp

Von Miller - great player, tore ACL midway through season

Roger Saffold - bum, worst G in the NFL

Jamison Crowder - solid, but hurt early and never returned

Daquan Jones - good pickup, but hurt towards the end and missed the Bengals game

Come playoffs, we had all FIVE of our larger FA acquisitions not on the field for one reason or another.  Part of that is signing sucky players (Saffold/OJ) or just plain old bad injury luck.  If we have 2 or 3 or 4 of those guys go the distance, do you think the season is different?  I do.

I think it's hard to differentiate there.

And Crowder being solid...meh. Chiefs got Smith-Schuster for 3.7M cap space while Bills got Crowder for 1.975M. Obviously Crowder got injured but one is the clearly superior player and they got the value there on offense that the Bills just didn't.

17 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The Chiefs have drafted better, I guess, but Mahomes and Kelce’s superior talent is their biggest plug for “lineup holes”. 

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

It's framed in a dumb way, but the question is valid.  

Chiefs and Bengals have been hyper focused on making sure their QB has a top tier OL.  Bills, clearly not.  

We'll see what happens with the draft, but the Bills are starting to get the "FO doesn't give their QB enough help" narrative ... and it's warranted as of today. 

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The Bengals OL stinks and has stunk for 3 seasons. The first of which was so bad, they got Joe B's leg broken. And their solution to that was to bring in... Quinton Spain (Bills' trash).

The LT they just brought in from the Chiefs is rated about on par with Dawkins, who the Bills drafted and kept with a 2nd contract.

The Chiefs fans were complaining about their OL the last 2 seasons as well. Jawaan Taylor has not played any better than Dawkins during his time on the Jags. We'll see how he does in KC.

Heck, we brought in Mitch Morris from the Chiefs. It's all a big incestuous circle of NO ONE being happy with their OL. It isnt just a Bills thing.

I think the only move either of those teams got over on us was the drafting of Basham over Creed Humphrey and allowing him to go to the Chiefs.

I havent seen all their moves, but I'm not sure either the Bengals or Chiefs addressed their IOL like we did this Free Agency with McGovern and Edwards.

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think it's hard to differentiate there.

And Crowder being solid...meh. Chiefs got Smith-Schuster for 3.7M cap space while Bills got Crowder for 1.975M. Obviously Crowder got injured but one is the clearly superior player and they got the value there on offense that the Bills just didn't.

And if JuJu broke his ankle week 4, they wouldn't have gotten any value either lol.

You said hard to differentiate, I say it's the difference between trying and in many cases failing to get Josh more help and weapons versus not really trying at all.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.