Kiper and McShay mock draft ???????????????????

BeastMode54

I'm starting to wonder if we take a pick at #27.  

Beane has conceded, more or less, that there aren't a lot of 1st round grades this year.  So why use a 1st round pick on a 2nd round talent?

He could trade up to get an actual 1st round talent in the 1st round.  But with what capital?

So I'm starting to think he'll trade back. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Beane has conceded, more or less, that there aren't a lot of 1st round grades this year.  So why use a 1st round pick on a 2nd round talent?

He could trade up to get an actual 1st round talent in the 1st round.  But with what capital?

There might not be a lot of teams that want to trade up. Assuming there isn't a player Beane clearly has ranked as a first rounder at a position he values, he will have to figure who he is willing to take at 27 regardless in case that trade back possibility doesn't materialize. Personally, I think Mazi Smith and Darnell Washington are possibilities. 

45 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Who is trading up?

11 hours ago, McBean said:

We aren’t taking defense at 27.

I just know it.😀

We are taking defense at 27, I just know it.  Here's why:

- Coach McDermott will be the defensive coordinator for the coming season.  For his professional pride, he will stop at nothing to ensure the defense will not let down from last season.  He would not be able to tolerate the perception that a mere defensive coordinator (Leslie Frazier) could possibly out-do him.

- Generally speaking defense is easier to learn than offense.  As a result, your defensive draft picks are more likely to contribute sooner.

How do I know all this?  I live in Hawaii and have a smart phone.  And the clincher, in high school, I was on my 3rd string punt coverage AND punt return team!  So there!

Edited by BillsNutHawaii
grammar
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Only problem with trading out of the 1st is losing the 5th year option on whichever guy you wanted.

What are we really going to gain by trading back, and who will be so eager to trade up? Maybe a 5th or 6th round pick? Not worth it, imo.

If we can snag any OL, that 5th year option becomes very valuable.

Dont like reaching, but it is what it is in a low talent draft class. Get your guy, keep the 5th year option, move on.

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Only problem with trading out of the 1st is losing the 5th year option on whichever guy you wanted.

What are we really going to gain by trading back, and who will be so eager to trade up? Maybe a 5th or 6th round pick? Not worth it, imo.

If we can snag any OL, that 5th year option becomes very valuable.

Dont like reaching, but it is what it is in a low talent draft class. Get your guy, keep the 5th year option, move on.

Also with 1st rounders it seems easier to negotiate in year 3 for an extended market deal - like Josh did.  So even players you might not think have a first round grade get this advantage.  Like Jack Campbell or maybe D Washington, if they fit the team and look improving you lock them up early.  And when you have a nice core of early extended players you get to do more cap maneuvering in later years.

On the flip side it further makes RBs a tougher selection.  If you don't want old RBs and have no intention of extending it is a negative.  Because 1st round RBs are starting to sit out their Franchise years - Zeke/L Bell.  I do not want an RB in the first round.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Einstein's Dog said:

Also with 1st rounders it seems easier to negotiate in year 3 for an extended market deal - like Josh did.  So even players you might not think have a first round grade get this advantage.  Like Jack Campbell or maybe D Washington, if they fit the team and look improving you lock them up early.  And when you have a nice core of early extended players you get to do more cap maneuvering in later years.

On the flip side it further makes RBs a tougher selection.  If you don't want old RBs and have no intention of extending it is a negative.  Because 1st round RBs are starting to sit out their Franchise years - Zeke/L Bell.  I do not want an RB in the first round.

I would never take a RB in the 1st. Dont really care who it is. Giants picking Barkley was a mistake.

For plenty of reasons, but also the one you point out.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/18/2023 at 10:02 PM, hondo in seattle said:

I suspect you're right. And I hope he does, given his track record with lower-round picks. He could pick up a solid linebacker, tight end, cornerback, and running back, given the reported depth of these positions in this draft, and maybe a developmental DT. Not sure about WR, safety, or OL, though. The pickings seem to get slimmer the deeper you go for these positions. 

On 4/18/2023 at 8:27 AM, Big Blitz said:

And I feel like Beane has done this in Round 1 every year.  Minus the Diggs trade and even then he went DE in RD 2 with our first pick.  A need then.  

I don't understand why so many like to exaggerate this because its not accurate.  In 5 drafts, he used our first pick of the draft on Allen and one on Diggs (offense).  You don't get to remove the fact we used one on Diggs, when Beane was trying to get a WR in the first and specifically said the guys they were targeting were not expected to reach them.  So he traded our first to get an elite proven WR who was still young.  

2 drafts he used our first pick in the first round on offense...3 drafts we went defense.  And our offense has been top 3 in the league the last 3 years.  DE was our biggest need when we went DE and CB was our biggest need when we went CB.  

People act like we just made luxury picks on defense or something, those picks were made to directly improve the weakest parts of the team.  

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't understand why so many like to exaggerate this because its not accurate.  In 5 drafts, he used our first pick of the draft on Allen and one on Diggs (offense).  You don't get to remove the fact we used one on Diggs, when Beane was trying to get a WR in the first and specifically said the guys they were targeting were not expected to reach them.  So he traded our first to get an elite proven WR who was still young.  

2 drafts he used our first pick in the first round on offense...3 drafts we went defense.  And our offense has been top 3 in the league the last 3 years.  DE was our biggest need when we went DE and CB was our biggest need when we went CB.  

People act like we just made luxury picks on defense or something, those picks were made to directly improve the weakest parts of the team.  

I'm with you Alpha - not only that, but the whole fixation on just draft picks misses the point at times.

For instance, if the FO gets DHop, this criticism doesn't end.  And imagine if to get DHop they move Oliver, and then draft defense first round.  True, it's a first round pick for defense but pretty disingenuous to think the FO wasn't focused on increasing the offense this offseason.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I'm with you Alpha - not only that, but the whole fixation on just draft picks misses the point at times.

For instance, if the FO gets DHop, this criticism doesn't end.  And imagine if to get DHop they move Oliver, and then draft defense first round.  True, it's a first round pick for defense but pretty disingenuous to think the FO wasn't focused on increasing the offense this offseason.

Spot on, exactly

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.