Future sale of Bills ??????????? (speculation from attention seeking media)

DallasBillsFan1

On 4/18/2023 at 7:56 PM, Dr. Who said:

This whole thread started because OP heard bits and pieces of a conversation out of sequence and then speculated a specific assertion by Kirwan that another poster who actually listened to the entire broadcast in context refuted. Then a bunch of folks chose to take the theme and run with it regardless of whether there was an actual basis for it. They speculated about private anguish and inheritance tax and the like to paint a dismal, sad picture. I guess there are those who enjoy despondent thoughts, but it seems perverse to me.

I am going to defend the OP.  Did you actually go an listed to decide for yourself who was right?  I did last night and the OP is much closer to what was actually discussed than the "refuter".  I find it interesting you latched onto the the refuter post as being correct, probably because that is the answer you like better.   Kirwan absolutely said he hears about Seahawks and Bills as potential teams that could be for sale next, the whole thing is hearsay from Kirwan so take it for what that is.  The overall topic was the increasing value of NFL franchises and the recent sale agreement of the Commanders.....some owners are supposedly disappointed in the low amount of 6 billion.  Kirwan went on to say that when the Bills were for sale last time, one group wanted to take them to LA and owners probably were disappointed that did not happen because it would have "exponentially" increased that franchises value.

On 4/18/2023 at 10:36 AM, PrimeTime101 said:

got to open your ears man. I listened to the same thing. They were giving examples of more recent sales pertaining to the Commanders compared to teams net worth, Seahawks 200m in 97 compared to Bills for 1 bil and how much 6 bil and they were talking about why it was so much... did you listen to the whole thing the whole time or just bits and pieces and take unfounded assumptions to these forums? 

I disagree, you can go tot he App and replay.  Kirwan clearly was talking about potential future franchises that may go up for sale and what he has "heard".  He then also talked about some things in the past, two things can be true at the same time.  The OP's take is a lot more right than this one.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I am going to defend the OP.  Did you actually go an listed to decide for yourself who was right?  I did last night and the OP is much closer to what was actually discussed than the "refuter".  I find it interesting you latched onto the the refuter post as being correct, probably because that is the answer you like better.   Kirwan absolutely said he hears about Seahawks and Bills as potential teams that could be for sale next, the whole thing is hearsay from Kirwan so take it for what that is.  The overall topic was the increasing value of NFL franchises and the recent sale agreement of the Commanders.....some owners are supposedly disappointed in the low amount of 6 billion.  Kirwan went on to say that when the Bills were for sale last time, one group wanted to take them to LA and owners probably were disappointed that did not happen because it would have "exponentially" increased that franchises value.

I disagree, you can go tot he App and replay.  Kirwan clearly was talking about potential future franchises that may go up for sale and what he has "heard".  He then also talked about some things in the past, two things can be true at the same time.  The OP's take is a lot more right than this one.

So it's basically the NFL would prefer to relocate small franchises to larger markets and collect a windfall. That will always be true. Since Terry Pegula clearly purchased both the Bills and the Sabres to keep them in Buffalo and there are indications at least some of his older children are not indifferent, the hearsay is either specious speculation based on the general principle that a city like Buffalo should always be ripe for the picking or it boils down to ghoulish speculation about Kim Pegula and the punitive nature of the inheritance tax. The whole thing is distasteful and I do not believe either is rooted in anything substantial. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

then you and I listened to the wrong show bro. 

On 4/19/2023 at 11:36 AM, Chas56 said:

This thread is depressing. I know I don’t have to read it (and don’t), but I have to see it on the list. 

Why? It isn’t like the Buffalo Bills are moving. NFL ownership is different now too many negative Bills fans if this was the truth which I don’t believe it is. Too many negative Bills fans assume the worst because in there reality they see PSE as Buffalo sports savior and there just isn’t anyone else out there because at the time of Ralph Wilson passing there wasn’t more Bills suitors things happen with the passage of time. I think the Buffalo Sabres are going to be sold in a few years because the Sabres lease is almost up and what is needed renovations wise with Key Bank Center. They will have suitors because there is only 32 NFL and 32 NHL franchises. The NFL especially the television networks contracts make owning a NFL franchise very lucrative and in demand when they become available. 

Anyway if the Buffalo Bills were for sale the Jeremy Jacobs family would potentially be in play for the Buffalo Bills along with many other interested owners we have no idea what is out there potentially better than PSE. The Jacobs family couldn’t bid on the Bills before because of their gambling holdings in West Virginia race tracks I believe. Las Vegas Raiders are in Vegas and the NFL the league is in bed with gambling companies now. I think if and that is if this was true with the new Bills stadium a done deal the Jacobs family I believe would be in play as a potential Bills buyer. And yes I would take there sports ownership/leadership with what they accomplished as Boston Bruins owners and there real local Buffalonians that still live here yes. Why does that make a difference? It does when a family lives in Buffalo and is here to face the music it would be a huge improvement over the absence of PSE ownership in the Buffalo community everyday along with a potential more positive culture instead of everything is a state secret as One Bills Drive under PSE. But unfortunately I don’t think there is anything to this story sadly we are stuck with PSE with more potential suffering. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, I am leaving for good said:

Why? It isn’t like the Buffalo Bills are moving. NFL ownership is different now too many negative Bills fans if this was the truth which I don’t believe it is. Too many negative Bills fans assume the worst because in there reality they see PSE as Buffalo sports savior and there just isn’t anyone else out there because at the time of Ralph Wilson passing there wasn’t more Bills suitors things happen with the passage of time. I think the Buffalo Sabres are going to be sold in a few years because the Sabres lease is almost up and what is needed renovations wise with Key Bank Center. They will have suitors because there is only 32 NFL and 32 NHL franchises. The NFL especially the television networks contracts make owning a NFL franchise very lucrative and in demand when they become available. 

Anyway if the Buffalo Bills were for sale the Jeremy Jacobs family would potentially be in play for the Buffalo Bills along with many other interested owners we have no idea what is out there potentially better than PSE. The Jacobs family couldn’t bid on the Bills before because of their gambling holdings in West Virginia race tracks I believe. Las Vegas Raiders are in Vegas and the NFL the league is in bed with gambling companies now. I think if and that is if this was true with the new Bills stadium a done deal the Jacobs family I believe would be in play as a potential Bills buyer. And yes I would take there sports ownership/leadership with what they accomplished as Boston Bruins owners and there real local Buffalonians that still live here yes. Why does that make a difference? It does when a family lives in Buffalo and is here to face the music it would be a huge improvement over the absence of PSE ownership in the Buffalo community everyday along with a potential more positive culture instead of everything is a state secret as One Bills Drive under PSE. But unfortunately I don’t think there is anything to this story sadly we are stuck with PSE with more potential suffering. 

Good post; you're spot on with this. I was amazed at how they were able to keep Kim's situation hidden for 7+ months, and the latter fits exactly to what you're describing here. And before anybody comes with their pitchforks yelling "that was a private matter", NO, not really, because she was a VERY public figure....the "face of the Bills" if you will...the President of a $Billion+ organization. I'm still scratching my head as to why they waited so long to get that news out.

On 4/19/2023 at 11:30 AM, boater said:

I believe PSE pressured the News to fire him. Rumor at the time: "fire Sully, or forget about our program printing contract."

But Sully contributes to his own bad luck. He has to fully own this gem which got him fired in Niagara Falls:

Jerry's shtick works when the Bills and Sabres stink. When the teams are good he does't know what to say.  He made a good living amplifying local fan frustrations. Just like Chuck "The Coach" Dickerson on WGR did. A disgruntled ex coach taking out his failings on his old team.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

you guys are just trying to torture Mike Florio at this point.. it's just mean

I was worried for the poor guy when Pegula bought the Bills

Ironically, I don't think it's so much that he wants Buffalo to lose the team as it is the "story" and all his articles he could write about how awful the NFL is and all the clicks he could get from furious Bills fans

Edited by TheFunPolice

On 4/17/2023 at 5:21 PM, Thrivefourfive said:

You know, if Mrs. Pegula isn’t doing well and things continue on that path, there is going to be a lot of pain in the building for Mr. Pegula to endure. I could see good reason for him selling. He expected her to bury him, not the other way around. Devastating for their family. 

That is very true but with that being said knowing how passionate Kim is about the team & the community and if she can still make her wishes known i would think one at there top of her list would be for Terry to keep the team & win a SB for her the city & the Fans .

Especially seeing as one of her things is the One Buffalo project . GO BILLS !!! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.